Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Where to get a SCCA Medical

Folks,
    Reaching out to find a Dr/PA who can perform the SCCA physical in the Los Angeles area. My current Dr at Kaiser refuses to do it. She says its policy. My last 2 physicians at Kaiser were happy to do it (they've since left Kaiser). The local walk in clinics the SCCA said to use also said no.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Mike,

If you haven't had a Kaiser physical in the last 12 months, there is no reason for them to deny you.
    I've done this (in the bay area) repeatedly over the last 10+ years for myself and my family and always got the forms (scca, nasa, bsa, hs sports, etc) filled out.
    Make an appointment with a doctor other than your PCP, they allow that.

Steve

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    Mike,

If you haven't had a Kaiser physical in the last 12 months, there is no reason for them to deny you.
    I've done this (in the bay area) repeatedly over the last 10+ years for myself and my family and always got the forms (scca, nasa, bsa, hs sports, etc) filled out.
    Make an appointment with a doctor other than your PCP, they allow that.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I will see if another Kaiser Dr will see me. Scheduling will be the issue. June race is in 2 weeks.

Mike

Contributing Member

Look for an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner in your area. They are listed on the faa.gov website. They will do it all including vision test in 1 visit. Take your form copy with you.
    regards
    paul
    Paul
    Chevron B23
    Brabham BT29
    Ralt RT4
    March 761

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Sails View Post
    Look for an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner in your area. They are listed on the faa.gov website. They will do it all including vision test in 1 visit. Take your form copy with you.
    regards
    paul
    Brilliant.
    I contacted the MD that did my ppl class 3 22 years ago.

Mike

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Frequently a 'Doc-in-the-box' (Urgent care center) not associated with big providers will do them.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Urgent care centers usually do CDL medicals on demand- the SCCA one is almost identical (I get them done at the same time). I've never had a problem and never had to schedule one other than to make sure the doctor on duty is DOT certified for the CDL one.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    Urgent care centers usually do CDL medicals on demand- the SCCA one is almost identical (I get them done at the same time). I've never had a problem and never had to schedule one other than to make sure the doctor on duty is DOT certified for the CDL one.
    I used to see Doctor G Phillips - then it was doctor Kelly... The last few years I've managed to see a doctor Strangelove - on the very same day every other year....... .

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I just go to my family Doc. No issues

Contributing Member

The FAA doc refused to do an SCCA medical.
    My girlfriend emailed the Dr. in charge of a Van Nuys urgent care clinic her company used for Corona virus testing. She arranged to get the physical done there. They were super, the doc there just started watching F-1 with her boyfriend. She was happy to talk cars and how much she hates Max.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 270

I've been getting mine from my regular GP, but my wife's been using the local minute clinic inside the CVS for her race license! Pretty sure the nurse practitioner signs off on it, no concerns... we just call it a "sports physical" and then it fits into a bin they understand...

My doctors (GP and cardio) understand the whole racing thing, and what it involves, but beyond those you have a relationship already established with... anything abnormal is just another chance of finding a reason to say no...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Sails View Post
    regards
    paul
    Yep, my flight surgeon routinely did mine.

And there is absolutely no liability for MD/DO/PAs preforming medical evaluations, providing they exercise due diligence. A physical is simply a statement of medically determined facts. The SCCC has oversight to interpret those facts. Ain’t talking long division here.
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Yep, my flight surgeon routinely did mine.

And there is absolutely no liability for MD/DO/PAs preforming medical evaluations, providing they exercise due diligence. A physical is simply a statement of medically determined facts. The SCCC has oversight to interpret those facts. Ain’t talking long division here.
    The highlighted statement is not exactly true. I have uploaded the bottom of the current SCCA medical form. In the approval box on the lower left, the examiner is approving the individual for competition based on the medical findings. Just above that box, there is guidance on the anticipated competition environment. The SCCA does not review the medical exam, rather it relies on the professional qualifications and judgment of the examiner. This change was made about six years ago when it stopped reviewing medical exams and disbanded its Medical Review Board.

That said, in many years as my region's licensing chairman I have observed no hesitancy on the part of medical professionals to perform our competition medical exams. There are several good suggestions above.

Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bedowinn View Post
    The FAA doc refused to do an SCCA medical.
    My girlfriend emailed the Dr. in charge of a Van Nuys urgent care clinic her company used for Corona virus testing. She arranged to get the physical done there. They were super, the doc there just started watching F-1 with her boyfriend. She was happy to talk cars and how much she hates Max.

the SCCA accepts an FAA medical. Doesn’t need to be on the SCCA form. It details that on the SCCA web site

regards
    paul
    Paul
    Chevron B23
    Brabham BT29
    Ralt RT4
    March 761

Thread Information