Liked: 702

Default Indy 500 first-timer

My sons and I will be going to the Indy 500 for the first time this weekend. We have weekend passes and garage passes for Friday through Sunday. I have a fairly good idea what to expect but still have some questions.
    Is there any reason to be at the track on Saturday? Other than an autograph session it doesn't appear there is much going on. Will there be anything to see in the garages?
    What time should we get to the track on Sunday? I'm guessing really early to beat traffic but how early?
    We're staying downtown so is it best to come into the track from the east or should we come in from I465? Or will it not matter?
    Will traffic be less on Friday?
    Thinking about going to IRP after the concert on Friday. How long will it take to get there so I can plan accordingly?
    Any other tips or tricks from the veterans?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

From past experiences I would say there will be plenty of prep work going on in the garages on Saturday.

Also, IIRC, the public drivers meeting is on Saturday.

Also, Saturday could serve as a reconnaissance run for Sunday.

Get there as early as you can drag yourselves there on Sunday. The traffic can be unimaginably bad or if you happen to hit it at a soft spot not too bad.

Liked: 1108

Wow Mike, that’ll be great! Never been, no real idea why, especially when lots of friends were on the grid. Should seek therapy to reason this out. ;-)

Mostly wanted to say... if you’re a camper, do it. We’ve done three GPs and a Runoffs there and the camping is great — and a bargain. Even looking at the backside of the Turn 3 bleachers is epic. Just being there is enough.

In 2002, we managed to talk a kid at the gate into letting us in late one night. About six of us sat at start/finish for a good hour, just soaking in the place. Nothing has to be going on, just being there is wonderful.

Meaning, you might certainly go on Saturday... have a blast.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 1868

Liked: 278

Speaking for us at Andretti, unless there is some sort of an issue that arises on Carb Day we will not be in the garage on Saturday. There will be quite a lot going on at the Speedway though as Richards link shows.
    It takes about 15 minutes to get to IRP from the Speedway without traffic. Judge accordingly.
    As far as race day, get there early and just marvel at the masses making their way into the facility. Approach the track based on where you plan to park
    STAY HYDRATED and enjoy the race weekend

Liked: 702

Thanks for the info! It sounds like there's no compelling reason to go to the track on Saturday unless we want to go to the museum. What else is there to do in Indy? I understand the Dallara factory is no longer open to the public. Anything else racing related? Any good microbreweries? Other suggestions?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default other things to see/do

There are several museums just west of Lucas stadium....Underground. Eitejorg, huge collection of Indian artifacts:
    https://eiteljorg.org/ NCAA Basketball Hall of Fame: https://ncaahallofchampions.org/ Indiana Museum of history: https://www.indianamuseum.org/ Those are all grouped together, within walking distance.

Of course the "main drag" downtown is worth seeing....looks like something from Europe with the War Memorial, trees, and such.

Not sure when the parade for 500 is, perhaps Sat? (edit) Yes, it's Sat. https://www.500festival.com/parade/

and Shapiro's deli, just NE of the convention center (home to PRI show in Dec.), is well worth a stop for eats... https://shapiros.com/

If you do the museum at speedway, be sure to go to 2nd floor to photo archives and find some choice pics. from their collection...lots of stuff you don't see in over 8 million images... they will make copies.

Hope you have enough time to take in the big RACE!

Bob L.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information