Liked: 9

Default Pinto Head Bolts?

I am trying to replace the old cylinder head bolts on my 2.0 Pinto Motor. ARP kit seems to be out of stock everywhere I have looked. The 12 spline non-stretch bolts seem to be obsolete but Burton Power has Torqx Head stretch bolts that I am not sure are a substitute. Does anyone know of a source for the ARP stud kit? Are the Torqx head stretch bolts a viable option? Finally, can the old 12 spline head bolts be re-used? I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks,
    Chuck Marrical

Liked: 3292

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ma View Post
    I am trying to replace the old cylinder head bolts on my 2.0 Pinto Motor. ARP kit seems to be out of stock everywhere I have looked. The 12 spline non-stretch bolts seem to be obsolete but Burton Power has Torqx Head stretch bolts that I am not sure are a substitute. Does anyone know of a source for the ARP stud kit? Are the Torqx head stretch bolts a viable option? Finally, can the old 12 spline head bolts be re-used? I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks,
    Chuck Marrical
    Back when I had a Pinto in my Citation, I reused the 12-pt head bolts many, many times - too many times to count. Never had an issue with that.
    Dave Weitzenhof

3. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 182

Possibly Racer Walsh in Florida

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Original Bolts

never had an issue re-using the bolts over and over , same as Dave
    Phil

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Have you called ARP directly?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Arp

I'd second that approach - we have purchased 100s of ARP kits from warehouses like Jegs or Summit with ARPs help on where stock is (or might be). Seems like Europe always wants the unobtainable ....................

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

The 'old type' splined non-stretch bolts are fine to reuse (within reason - wear, condition, etc). The replacement stretch bolts are one use and replace.

Because of the type of bolt there are different tightening procedures for the two.

Liked: 9

Default Pinto Head Bolts

Thanks for all of the replies. I have looked at the Summit Website and they claim shipment in July. I have a set of ARP on order from Jegs but that doesn't ship till 6/28. I have not tried Racer Walsh yet. The end result is that I will re-use the existing 12 spline bolts as they are in dood condition and it saves some money! Thanks again for all of your responses.
    Chuck Marrical

Liked: 3787

Just make sure the holes in the block are super clean and dry. Oil or water down in them can cause a hyro-lock and you end up with a false torque reading.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

My engine builder ( Rex Gunning Recently retired) recommends the use of ARP assembly lube on head, rod and main bearing bolts to insure consistent torque readings.

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

SBI makes replacement pinto head bolts with 13 mm hex heads they do need cut to length .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ma View Post

Thanks,
    Chuck Marrical

Liked: 47

i know this is an old thread but the last time i needed these i just bought a box of allen head cap screws from mcmaster carr the right pitch and length and that was that. they are for all practical purposes the same spec as the non stretch oem bolts at about 1/10 the price.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information