Liked: 2

Default Noobie - Argo JM14 Chassis

Hi All!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Finally jumped in the pool and purchased an Argo JM14 FF2000 car. Still deciding what to do with it....I'd like to keep it FF2000 as intended but the temptation to do a F1000 is certainly there.

The car is largely complete but I do have some questions. I need uprights! Any suggestions on where to source those? Or break out the check book and have some fabricated? I've seen several "universal formula car uprights" for sale....skeptical or a viable option?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to find Argo-specific pictures or drawings....mainly of suspension/mounting points/ect. My car came as a pile of parts and, while it has been fun to figure out, photos would help.

As an aside....this seems like a fantastically built car and I am excited to bring her back to life.

Any suggestions/pointers/general banter is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 270

Can't help much with your questions (unless you do decide to make the leap and convert to F1000!), but had to check in and say boy, that 924 sure is shiny!! I assume you're not also on the 924 board??
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 113

Default What to do

It is hard to tell by the photos exactly how much of the car you have. If you are missing major ARGO specific components. I would suggest doing a search here on ApexSpeed and getting in touch with other ARGO owners. My first inclination would be to restore it to its original configuration. You could run SCCA Club events and vintage. Unless you are really into/good at building cars from scratch, I would not suggest the F1000 route for this specific car. Those cars have evolved into some unbelievably fast and aero dependent cars. I think you would have as much fun and be fairly comparable in speeds/lap times keeping it as a F2000. By this I mean I do not think that your car will not be significantly faster in F1000 spec than F2000. Mostly due to the restrictions in your potential design that you will encounter because of the era your car was originally developed.

Either way, looks like a great project. Good luck with your car.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

+1 for keeping it as a 2-litre. As it's incomplete anyway, you'll be doing enough engineering on it without the added complications of changing stuff!

There have been others, quite recently I think, on Apexspeed who have Argo racecars, so hopefully one of them will spot your posting.

Another possible for parts is a guy called Dermot Healy over here in the UK. He had some Argo stuff a while ago, so may have parts still.

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Can't help much with your questions (unless you do decide to make the leap and convert to F1000!), but had to check in and say boy, that 924 sure is shiny!! I assume you're not also on the 924 board??

Thank you!! The 924 is a 26K Mile survivor. Plan is to get rid of it to open up some shop space, but at the rate these things are appreciating I'm just not sure.

Thank you all who have replied!! I will keep searching out fellow Argo-people. I know there are a few bouncing around the PNW so I hope to find some parts/ideas soon. Thanks again!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Another possible parts source, which hadn't occurred to me earlier, is the original Formula Asia cars. These were designed and built by Argo - maybe some carry-over from the FF2000?

Liked: 139

Default uprights

I think Twodogg built some uprights for another 14, might have been a 17.

Liked: 442

You may want to reach out to Lawrence at Hayes Cages. As he has a JM17 FC and I assume there is some carry over parts wise.

Liked: 13

A little late to the post but as RSS said Lawrence Hayes is your guy and resides in the NW.

Thank you all!!!

I have chatted with Lawrence and he seems to be a wealth of knowledge and a great dude. I found some uprights sitting in a shed in London....currently debating the safety vs. costs on using old uprights or having brand new ones made. Engine has been purchased. Last big thing is gearbox. And then the FUN begins!!

Thank you all for your support and well-wishes. It means the world to this know-nothing newbie.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

RSS

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

There is absolutely nothing wrong with old uprights, even ones that have been broken and properly re-welded. Have a look at your average FF field - I would bet 50% of those cars run a repaired upright, and have done so for many years.

Sure, if its a crappy repair, don't use it or have it properly fixed. Really worried about them? Take them to you local aircraft parts x-ray shop (you would be surprised how many of these exist - I live in a pretty nice neigbourhood and there is one 10 minutes from my house!), and for $100 have them x-rayed. I have done this, it couldn't be easier.

cheers,
    BT

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information