Thread: Mike Allison

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Default Mike Allison

On Sunday May 8, Mike Allison changed series and decided to go and race with his heros. I first met Mike in 1977 when we were running in the Skip Barber Race Series, but his history in racing started long before that. BTW - If I miss something, Mike did not always brag about what he did, sometimes you had to pull it out of him.

In 1967 he ran in a Trans Am race in TX then left racing for the corporate world of banking. When an affordable and family friendly form of racing came along, the aforementioned Skip Barber Race Series came about, he jumped back in again and that was the start of his real racing endeavors. After a few years he became an instructor and mentor, before leaving the banking world to jump in as President of Skip's company. During this time he kept up his racing by running in the Series, special events and eventually the Barber Pro Series. After saying he would never own his own car he bought a McLaren F5000 car and ran this for a few years in vintage races.

Oh, and did I mention he ran at the 24 hours of LeMans! His team only finished once, 6th in class, but he finished in the car and talked about how the last lap was the longest in his life as the people poured onto the course.

Ironically he left the school in 1989 just as the economy collapsed - something he had told me would happen. He reinvented himself by working for the Resolution Trust Company - assisting in the closing and merging of banks. It was not a job he loved and kept him away from his family at times, but I am sure he did his best to save the customers, investors and the taxpayers as much money as he could.

In the 90’s he moved south and took his management skill back to racing, getting into NASCAR. running a Truck team and working with Brett Bodine which kept him busy until 2002 where he got together with some other people in racing to build a wind tunnel in Moorestown. AeroDyn Wind Tunnel is still going. When I asked him where the money came from to start it, he admitted many people had maxed out their credit cards….

Remember he said he would never own a race car? Somehow he ended up with a Crossle and Zink FFs, and an RX7. He made it to the 40th, and did not have a great event. This was the start of his health issues and he documented his travails in a post:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?35243-Thanks-to-Mike-Rand-amp-Steve-Beeler&p=222610&viewfull=1#post222610

He was always thankful to all the people who helped him at that event. Unfortunately, that was his last event. The last time I saw him in person was at the Skip Barber Reunion at Daytona in 2016. Since then we had stayed in touch but his health kept failing. He wanted to make sure he had everything in order for his wife, Sue, who put up with so much - not just Mike, but the racing and all the other personal tragedies that go along with just living.

I am sure I have forgotten something…

He started out as a competitor, then a friend and mentor, then my boss, and then back to friend.

The Jersey gang from 1977 is back together again - Mike, Mike O’Kane and Peter Kuhn. Have fun guys.

ChrisZ

https://jacksonfuneralservice.com/ob...-mike-allison/

2. The following 9 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    On Sunday May 8, Mike Allison changed series and decided to go and race with his heros. I first met Mike in 1977 when we were running in the Skip Barber Race Series, but his history in racing started long before that. BTW - If I miss something, Mike did not always brag about what he did, sometimes you had to pull it out of him.

In 1967 he ran in a Trans Am race in TX then left racing for the corporate world of banking. When an affordable and family friendly form of racing came along, the aforementioned Skip Barber Race Series came about, he jumped back in again and that was the start of his real racing endeavors. After a few years he became an instructor and mentor, before leaving the banking world to jump in as President of Skip's company. During this time he kept up his racing by running in the Series, special events and eventually the Barber Pro Series. After saying he would never own his own car he bought a McLaren F5000 car and ran this for a few years in vintage races.

Oh, and did I mention he ran at the 24 hours of LeMans! His team only finished once, 6th in class, but he finished in the car and talked about how the last lap was the longest in his life as the people poured onto the course.

Ironically he left the school in 1989 just as the economy collapsed - something he had told me would happen. He reinvented himself by working for the Resolution Trust Company - assisting in the closing and merging of banks. It was not a job he loved and kept him away from his family at times, but I am sure he did his best to save the customers, investors and the taxpayers as much money as he could.

In the 90’s he moved south and took his management skill back to racing, getting into NASCAR. running a Truck team and working with Brett Bodine which kept him busy until 2002 where he got together with some other people in racing to build a wind tunnel in Moorestown. AeroDyn Wind Tunnel is still going. When I asked him where the money came from to start it, he admitted many people had maxed out their credit cards….

Remember he said he would never own a race car? Somehow he ended up with a Crossle and Zink FFs, and an RX7. He made it to the 40th, and did not have a great event. This was the start of his health issues and he documented his travails in a post:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?35243-Thanks-to-Mike-Rand-amp-Steve-Beeler&p=222610&viewfull=1#post222610

He was always thankful to all the people who helped him at that event. Unfortunately, that was his last event. The last time I saw him in person was at the Skip Barber Reunion at Daytona in 2016. Since then we had stayed in touch but his health kept failing. He wanted to make sure he had everything in order for his wife, Sue, who put up with so much - not just Mike, but the racing and all the other personal tragedies that go along with just living.

I am sure I have forgotten something…

He started out as a competitor, then a friend and mentor, then my boss, and then back to friend.

The Jersey gang from 1977 is back together again - Mike, Mike O’Kane and Peter Kuhn. Have fun guys.

ChrisZ

https://jacksonfuneralservice.com/ob...-mike-allison/
    Chris, nicely done.
    V/r

Iverson

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Thank you, ChrisZ.

Wow. This is sad. Mike (I always enjoyed calling him "LeMike") made a big impression on me in my early years of racing, in the late 1980's. We first met each other when Mike Rand suggested him as a co-driver for a Little LeMans race for Improved Touring cars at LRP. We had a fun race after an overnight clutch change, and we bonded. We kept in touch and I was glad to see him in recent years at VIR.

I'm sorry he is gone, but know everyday life was getting harder for him each year. I'll remember him fondly and strongly for the rest of my life.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Sad to hear of Mike's passing. I met him at the FF-40th at Road America, and he seemed like a really nice guy. He didn't have much luck there, as he developed burns from sitting in leaked fuel and a septic knee that together left him in the ICU for a time. I, among others, jumped in to help him clean out his tub after an oil leak. When we were done, I noticed he was sitting on the back tire of his FF and looked fatigued. I remember asking him if he was okay, and I still feel bad that I didn't pick up on just how sick he was at that point. He had to pull off during the session, and went to the hospital ICU from the track. He told some stories in our brief conversations before he got sick. One was about how he went to Le Mans, and they had a driver's parade. He recalled how a very young girl, all pretty in her dress, kissed him on the cheek and called him "un pilote". He said that was better than the race.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

8. The following 7 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Rest in peace

I too met Mike at the 40th as we both thrashed on our cars, me following a broken heim joint and him after his leak. Despite his struggles he was offering ME help, speaks volumes to the man he is. Your pain is gone Mike hit the apex on the way through the pearly gates....

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Mike A

Got to know Mike back when I was doing the Skippy series in the 80's. Was just an all around good guy. RIP Mike

Ed

Thread Information