Liked: 0

Default Recommendation for tires for open track days

Recently bought the prototype FM from forum member ('prototype' because it has been converted to a 6port RX8 engine... so no longer FM legal)... intend to use it for open track days, Chin motorsport days, test and tunes, fun and practice in general.

as far as tires.. I'm over my head. (Coming from the AER/Champcar world).. in both size and brand/hardness.
    (wheels are standard BBS centerlock 8" and 10")

FM class is goodyear r470 20x7-13 and 22x9-13

Tires on the car are supersoft Avons (for hillclimb events, no out laps, only running 1-2min... not going to work for me doing multiple 30min track session in a given day I don't think)
    and are 22x8.2-13 and 23x10-13

So right off the bat, there's a size difference in both height and width... more width is generally good eh???
    on the height side of things... FM 20/22 setup would in theory add some rake and lower the car a smidge... vs the 22/23 setup on the car... right? is that good or bad?

Then inquiry on the Goodyear vs say a Hoosier... Hoosier has offerings in basically all of those in either R35b (medium soft) and also R60a (medium/hard)... how do those compare to Goodyear? would the R60a ever get temperature?

I'm not worried about saving a second a lap, only plan to drive the car say 8/10ths... would rather have the tires last twice as long and maybe take 2 outlaps to warm up than ultimate speed (for economy reason... this is for fun/learning)

Apologies for long winded... hate posts that just say 'what should I buy' with zero context. Thanks!

Liked: 530

My recommendation is contact the tire distributor and see if you can buy takeoffs at the next pro event. I used to get as many as I could stuff into my Tahoe for $100/set off PFM or P2 cars running same size.
    You can easily run 8/10th’s with somebody’s throw away one or two heat cycle tires

That sounds fantastic, who is the tire distributor?

Also, Hoosier has tires in bias and radial... looks like the spec goodyear is a radial tire... would there be any benefit in these cars to going with a radial?

going to a test and tune the 27th (weather permitting) and need to order tires like now to get them and have them mounted by next thursday :0

Any help from the experts?

Liked: 530

Setup for bias vs radial is very different. Do your homework and figure out what you want or need.

Liked: 6

I have a ton of those goodyear 470s id sell for super cheap if you want?

I'd at least inquire/entertain if you want to shoot some details. Also would have to ship to Ohio since can't drive to Arkansas for tires

Thread Information