Liked: 536

Default Vintage is a lot different in Europe

None of this 8/10 stuff, these boys are going like they're shot from a time machine. And the carnage that results to historic equipment is hard to watch. Fortunately they all have deep pockets...

Even the pro drivers are not exempt from screwing up, although poor LeClerc had a brake rotor come apart, it wasn't his fault.

But they're so period there's not even seat belts in the 50's cars - one guy almost get tossed...

https://youtu.be/04CvzA8Xg-g

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1111

It’s a love-hate thing.

Hate to see them crash, but love to see them race! Museums are for dinosaurs and other retired things.

The Goodwood Historics are almost shocking in how hard they’re raced. I love that.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    None of this 8/10 stuff, these boys are going like they're shot from a time machine. And the carnage that results to historic equipment is hard to watch. Fortunately they all have deep pockets...

Even the pro drivers are not exempt from screwing up, although poor LeClerc had a brake rotor come apart, it wasn't his fault.

But they're so period there's not even seat belts in the 50's cars - one guy almost get tossed...

https://youtu.be/04CvzA8Xg-g

Yes, there's a totally different mindset to "vintage racing" in Europe. I've attended many events, Goodwood, Spa Six Hours, etc. the racing intensity is at the level of modern professional teams in the USA. The cars are just the tools of the objective ......winning!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spa Mini Clubman.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	103115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	austin-healey-dd-300-joe-harding-16032207.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	103117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	austin-healey-dd-300-joe-harding-16032212.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	103118  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spa Healey 7.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	103116  

Liked: 49

Agree some collect art, my brother and I race it, we are 10 10ths in vintage racing no other way to be.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Last weekends Vintage FF race, multiple HSCC champion Cam Jackson borrowed a car, started last and in mixed conditions was well into the top 10 by lap 2. The blue March he passed last was a car he drove for a year, missing the championship in that car by 1 point in the last race:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCL2pohTE2E
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1111

Totally cool video, Thanks Garey.

There’s much to be learned when starting further back than one’s actual speed. I’d dare say it’s invaluable experience compared to the mostly-defensive techniques when starting amongst equal-speed contemporaries. Not to mention it’s a blast.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 82

I'm late to the party on this topic but wanted to reply anyway:

I can only speak for myself but I'm driving just as hard at vintage races as I ever did at SCCA events. Anyone who's seen me race or race with me knows I am an extremely aggressive driver.

The difference in my case is that I don't think contact is acceptable in amateur motorsports. This is not F1 or Australian Super Cars etc.

Good drivers like to think we are inch perfect (we mostly are); well if you are inch perfect why can't you be inch perfect around other cars?

I love how hard they race at Goodwood but you can race hard and not bounce off of each other.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Grossmann View Post
    I'm late to the party on this topic but wanted to reply anyway:

I can only speak for myself but I'm driving just as hard at vintage races as I ever did at SCCA events. Anyone who's seen me race or race with me knows I am an extremely aggressive driver.

The difference in my case is that I don't think contact is acceptable in amateur motorsports. This is not F1 or Australian Super Cars etc.

Good drivers like to think we are inch perfect (we mostly are); well if you are inch perfect why can't you be inch perfect around other cars?

I love how hard they race at Goodwood but you can race hard and not bounce off of each other.
    What was 'inch perfect' when we were in our 20's and 30's - as we age that inch expands just like out waist lines, for some it expands faster than others.

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

At 65, my waistline has not expanded. And, I don’t expect contact!

Liked: 82

My waistline has expanded.........to 30". I've ballooned out to 145lbs....... I was really skinny 30 years ago.

As for driving I'm driving really well these days as I'm getting more seat time than I ever have.

There is plenty hard racing in the US vintage race scene but most of it isn't televised.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

I am also late to this party. I race both in North America (FF) and in Europe (FJ). I really don't perceive much difference in intensity of racing. But in Europe the cars tend to be more historic, interesting, and valuable, to some extent a reflection of owners' means. But we're all racing and having fun.

Thread Information