Liked: 41

Default Have you seen this car?

We know this is a longshot, but thought we'd give it a try. If anyone remembers this car, please post what you know. Probably hasn't been on the track in 10-12 years and last time maybe in the Midwest area, has a Mid-Am championship decal on it. Originally from San Fran area, but no telling how many times it may have been painted. Most recent owner passed away, no logbooks.
    Thanks
    George
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 1115

Chassis plate? Maybe an SCCA stamp somewhere?
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Is that a Citation Zink Z16? If so, there's no chassis or manufacturer plate. I'd start with the SCCA roll bar stamp and see where it was originally teched. I found the original owner and driver thanks to this information but no trail after that.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

4. The following members LIKED this post:

George,
    I started a registry for Zink and Citation cars because of the amazing number of championships this American manufacturer has. Although I didn't have any record of this car amoung the 16 cars listed for Z16s, I did run across an old ad at some point. The attached pictures were labeled "16800x Michael Dierkes 12-15-2006 ad" but I don't know where that ad was listed. I've had one of my Z16s since 2007 so I may have run across the pictures at any time.

https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry

Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

Looks like high banking in the back of the picture....Talladega Daytona charlotte?

I imagine the side bulge for his hand on the steering wheel is unique?

Is that the Darlington stripe in back?

Thank you, Garey, very helpful.
    I'll make sure to have my customer register the car when we get more info.
    We haven't found an ID tag yet and we are waiting to see what the person with the San Fran logbook info can tell us.
    However, we a little less in the dark then before we posted this.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CARSHouston View Post
    Thank you, Garey, very helpful.
    I'll make sure to have my customer register the car when we get more info.
    We haven't found an ID tag yet and we are waiting to see what the person with the San Fran logbook info can tell us.
    However, we a little less in the dark then before we posted this.
    Zink and Lathrop never made chassis tags. The only chance of finding the original owner is with the SCCA roll bar number, which is the logbook number. The stamp will be on the roll bar, usually below the exposed portion of the roll bar.
    Additional people know about the car on my Zink Citation page on facebook. Apexspeed member Bryan Cohn posted more info there since he actually put hands on it maybe 15 or so years ago.
    Garey Guzman

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Been to your facebook page and I've seen the post and forwarded the info to the new car owner.
    Thanks

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Looks like high banking in the back of the picture....Talladega Daytona charlotte?
    With a MidAm sticker I'd guess it might be Gateway. We ran SCCA races there for several years.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 15

We owned this car from late 1996 - 2004 or 2005.
    I bought it from the KC area for my Son, David Livingston Jr. David first drove it at a driver's school in Feb. 1997 at Memphis and raced it in 1997 and 1998. It was a good car for a 16 year old to start with, extra tall roll bars and good side crash protection. In the winter of 97/98 we built the new body. In 1999 we got a DB-1 for David and I drove this car in CFF. When David complete Grad school in 2004 he wonted to race nationally and at the runoffs. At that time I retired from diving to focus on one car. We sold the car to a St Louis cop Michael Dierkes. We and Michael mostly raced the car at Memphis and Gateway. It had many wins at the two tracks.
    Dave Sr

16. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

David,

Thanks for the information. I am the current owner of the car and it is great to hear that the car has been competitive and hopefully will be competitive again.

John

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    David,

Thanks for the information. I am the current owner of the car and it is great to hear that the car has been competitive and hopefully will be competitive again.

John
    Hi John, congrats on the car! Hopefully I'll see you at the track soon!

Garey
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 15

Hi John
    The thing I liked about this car, it was one of the safes of any CFF built in the late 70's and early 80's. I was told that one of the drivers before us was 6'5" and 250#. But the safety came with the price of weight. We could not get close to the min weight with a skinny 16 yr old, You should have fun with it at local lower level races! It had a strong Charlie Williams engine that Michael had rebuilt by Charlie. It handled well!

Back in the 70's and early 80's I had a Z-9 and a Z-14 FSV. They were all strong good handling cars
    Dave Sr

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by David Livingston Sr View Post
    Hi John
    The thing I liked about this car, it was one of the safes of any CFF built in the late 70's and early 80's. I was told that one of the drivers before us was 6'5" and 250#. But the safety came with the price of weight. We could not get close to the min weight with a skinny 16 yr old, You should have fun with it at local lower level races! It had a strong Charlie Williams engine that Michael had rebuilt by Charlie. It handled well!

Back in the 70's and early 80's I had a Z-9 and a Z-14 FSV. They were all strong good handling cars
    Dave Sr
    Thanks David. It still has the Charlie Williams engine in it, though it probably needs a rebuild. I like that the car is safe as well. Hopefully it is not too far of minimum weight.

John

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Great car the Z16. On the Z16 I had there was the serial number stamped on the right side rear upper side pod brace. The one extending out from the roll bar main hoop base. Mine had the cut off switch attached to it. Have a look there.
    Graham

Thread Information