Liked: 2

Default searching for period correct brake calipers (airhear)

I recently purchased a Beach Mk4b. It appears to be in very good condition, but has been non-op for a long time so it needs a end to end recommissioning, and some minor configuration corrections.The first thing to address is replacing the modern rear brake calipers with period-correct units (SVRA's pretty strict about this).

Here's a photo of the rear brakes from 2007 (airheart, I think), which were replaced by new Wilwood units sometime after 2007. They appear to be Airheart 175x2 type.

Any tips/ideas on where to find period correct calipers? No problem making new mounting brackets.

I'll have rotor size later today.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach rear_caliper.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	103103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear_caliper.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	103102  

Liked: 160

Is there a correlation between the cheque clearing and original calipers with SVRA? Asking for a friend....

I admire the wish to put the correct ones on, but I am not sure that SVRA will care, certainly in the past they haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    Is there a correlation between the cheque clearing and original calipers with SVRA? Asking for a friend....
    I admire the wish to put the correct ones on, but I am not sure that SVRA will care, certainly in the past they haven't.
    David, I hope that's not true because running modern 6 pot calipers on a vintage race car isn't in keeping with the spirit of the hobby.

But I also hope they are rational and reasonable with attempts to find a period-representative solution.

The rules are pretty clear and I've seen SVRA hassle a racer about brake calipers with too much pad area (even though they were from the period).

4. Alternate calipers or wheel cylinders must be of the same material, design and number of pistons as theoriginal component. There must be no increase in the frictional surface of the pads or shoes.

I think the Airheart 175x2 was pretty ubiquitous on American built sports racers in the 1960's and early 1970's (Legrand, Bobsy, etc.)
    I hope they won't be that hard to find.

John

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

you might head over to one of the Facebook groups for historic Indycars - there's one for 60s and one for 70s. Airheart units were pretty common on those and the restorers there might have a source.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

You might be able to adapt an LD-65 type 4-piston caliper. Those are relatively common and certainly keeping with the spirit of the rules -- race cars need to be maintained -- with parts available at the time.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by noviceracer View Post
    David, I hope that's not true because running modern 6 pot calipers on a vintage race car isn't in keeping with the spirit of the hobby.

But I also hope they are rational and reasonable with attempts to find a period-representative solution.
    First of all, I applaud your efforts. I wish more people would try to go down the road of finding the right parts for their cars instead of just opening the Summit catalog and bolting on whatever.

That being said, I think if SVRA didn’t gripe about CV joints on a car from the mid-60’s, I think they would be fine with whatever caliper you had on it. You could fit something like an iron 14LF or a 12SP, both are perfectly period and totally sufficient for the rear of a small sports racer. Also period would be a D12R or a NR, both are alloy and would be totally keeping with period on a car of that vintage. These are the types of calipers you see on Elva’s, Lotus 23B’s Bobsy’s, etc…

Best of luck!
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    You might be able to adapt an LD-65 type 4-piston caliper. Those are relatively common and certainly keeping with the spirit of the rules -- race cars need to be maintained -- with parts available at the time.
    Ethan, David,

thanks for the ideas and kind words.

The calipers on the rear of the Beach are older Wilwood Dynalite singles. https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cal...temno=120-4062

The good news is the Wilwood pad area is 25% less than the original Airheart 175x2. So, I can argue that the car is within the SVRA rules, and they should let me run the Wilwoods provisionally until I have a restored set of Airhearts installed.

I've got inquiries into the Bobsy crowd for parts since Mong put 175x2's on most of his sports racers and there are more Bobsy's around than Beach. Also found on Legrands, Fosgrini's and other American race cars of the era.

"CV joints". Yes, I know, I know. But while CV joints don't really deliver any extra performance, one might argue they are a meaningful safety upgrade relative to a U-joint plus a donut. How many times have you guys seen a halfshaft donut fail, causing both a spin and substantial damage to rear suspension parts?

Well, I'll deal with the halfshafts soon as it would be nice to have a "gold medallion" level car.

John

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default donut keepers

If you go to proper donuts, check with dogrings.com for his keepers... not cheap, but period correct and worthwhile addition.

Bob L.

https://dogrings.com/products.html

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

John,
    Since your location is listed as "New England", try giving Lee Chapman or GMT Racing a ring. They seem like a really big, well stocked Vintage race support group! Also, Eric Langbein is in MD and supports a lot of cars out of his shop. There are long long-time racers in the area so maybe someone knows something.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    John, GMT Racing .
    JR @ GMT is a great guy.
    I use KTR as experts to balance out my lack of skill and experience.

Liked: 162

FYI, the LF-14 mounting holes are 3.25" centers (which match the current Wilwood's) and take a 10" diameter rotor. If you go with donuts, check out the BMW/Volvo driveshaft guibos, call it a "safety feature".
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

16. The following members LIKED this post:

I found a guy that has lots of old airheart calipers, including 175x2’s.

any reservations about running a set of rebuilt Airheart vs new Girling?

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I may have some Airheart rebuild o-rings left over. I rebuilt a set on my LeGrand FB. They felt good so yea rebuild them.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    I may have some Airheart rebuild o-rings left over. I rebuilt a set on my LeGrand FB. They felt good so yea rebuild them.
    Thanks to all for great advice/ideas.

SVRA is going to let me run with the Wilwoods while I search for something more 'appropriate'
    I was surprised to find airhearts fairly available used, but cost to sleeve (if needed) was really expensive (White Post).
    The suggestion you guys made to consider Girlings is likely the direction I'll go.

THanks again.

John

Liked: 23

Default Airheart calipers

Check E-bay, occasionally there are some of the type in your photo that come up. It might take some time but I have seen different types of Airheart calipers on there. You have to use Airheart as a favorite for them to show up on a daily basis,

Thread Information