Liked: 6

Default Hoosier v Goodyear baseline setup and opinions

Hello

I have my new to me FM ready to take off the jackstands and start setting up. I currently have a set of Goodyears on it but my Club Ford runs Hoosiers and we have local Hoosier dealer here in CO so I was thinking about switching over to Hoosiers for both cars.

Is there a direct replacement in the Hoosier line up for the Goodyear? I have the baseline set up from Moses that I would set the car at but didn't know if these would carry over to the Hoosiers, and frankly I have to idea what half of these measurements are (bump rubbers, packers, shock perch height, ARB, wing, wicker) I have only been on a road race track on motorcycles so I cannot imagine I will be setting very fast laps, is there a Hoosier compound that is budget friendly and soft enough for shake down laps or should I just stick with the GYs? I was told Carol Shelby Enterprises is a good vendor to order tires from if I go GY and Ontrac is good for Hoosiers here in Colorado.

Any advice is appreciated, sorry if this has been covered else where. I searched archives and only found a little info from several years ago

Baseline Setup
    Goodyear 470 Compound Spec Tire
    ? Target hot Tire pressure 18psi front and rear. All of our set up numbers are done with this
    pressure. I tune the car to maintain the same target hot temp. I have never had to stagger my
    hot temp to make the car work.
    ? Set up with 10 gallons of fuel and a total car weight of 1410 lbs
    ? Ride height:
    ? Front 1.875"
    ? Rear 2.750"
    ? Caster
    ? Front 5.0-5.5
    ? Camber
    ? Front -.8 (neg)
    ? Rear +.4 (pos)
    ? Toe
    ? Front 3mm toe out each side 6mm total
    ? Rear 0
    ? Springs
    ? Front 750 lbs
    ? Rear 500 lbs
    ? Compression
    ? Front 7 (from soft)
    ? Rear 5 (from soft)
    ? Rebound
    ? Front 6 (from soft)
    ? Rear 4 (from soft)
    ? Bump Rubbers
    ? Front Short
    ? Rear Tall
    ? Packers
    ? Front 0
    ? Rear as many as it takes to have .375 - .500 gap between bump rubber and packer at
    static. S horter gap for slower drivers
    ? Shock perch heights
    ? Front +/- .125
    ? Rear +/- .250
    ? Corner weights
    ? Front +/- 5 lbs
    ? Rear +/- 10 lbs
    ? ARB
    ? Front Full soft
    ? Rear baseline at 3" with Sticker tires (adjust for wear)
    ? Wing
    ? We measure without including the wicker. We start with the front and rear at the same
    angle. Ranging from 6 - 10 degrees depending on track
    ? Wicker
    ? Front Tall (.750)
    ? Rear Short (.375)
    ? We ALWAYS run wickers. Even the winning car at Daytona ran wickers. The only
    difference is we ran .375 front and

Liked: 16

I can only help a little by saying in the Texas Region, almost everyone has switched to the Hoosier and the track times for FMs are falling significantly at every track this season. I would confer with Moses about any setup questions for Hoosiers as I am not qualified to comment.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

It sounds like the original Hoosiers shared the same newbie setup FM recommends but the current front isn't avaialble. The Hoosier that is avaialble is a bit bigger and ride height needs to be lowered to compensate for it. I was also told the old spec Goodyear tire has a longer tire life but for a good driver is about a second slower than the new softer Hoosiers.

Liked: 0

I'm in exactly the same boat... brand new, coming from a different motorsport arena, ready to get to the track and not worried about laps. I actually just posted in the general forum as well roughly the same question.

How hoosiers stack up, and which of the offered compounds offer the most budget friendly experience for a newbie.
    and the available tires are slightly wider/taller... only info out there tends to be on the spec goodyear tires... but I (sounds like you as well) can basically put on whatever makes the most economical sense for my 'shake down year' here.

Quote Originally Posted by jriley9922 View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat... brand new, coming from a different motorsport arena, ready to get to the track and not worried about laps. I actually just posted in the general forum as well roughly the same question.

How hoosiers stack up, and which of the offered compounds offer the most budget friendly experience for a newbie.
    and the available tires are slightly wider/taller... only info out there tends to be on the spec goodyear tires... but I (sounds like you as well) can basically put on whatever makes the most economical sense for my 'shake down year' here.
    Have you spoken to the folks at Formula Mazda down in Texas? Sitara and Moses have been extremely helpful with all my little questions. I think I am going to run the Goodyears. There is a lot of existing experience with them, they are more budget freindly, they last longer, etc. If I get to where I am a top 5 driver in my club, then I can try a different tire. When speaking to Sitara I asked what they run on the FM rental fleet, and she said the Goodyear unless someone specifically asks to try the Hoosier. That summed it up for me

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

I have not.. I just bought the car last night :0 Just got on here.

my use case little different, i can run any size/width/type i want since I'm just doing track days for this year... and the car is currently running taller and wider than spec goodyears... need to determine if continue down that path or not.

Liked: 1108

Welcome to both of you, I hope you have a blast!
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Thread Information