Liked: 0

Default How is the F440/F500 suspension compared to other racecars?

Hi,

I'm looking for a platform to build an electric open-wheel racecar. An F440/F500 comes to mind because a lot of them have sidepods where I can stuff batteries.

I'm curious as to how the suspension is compared to other formula cars. I have some experience n Formula Vee and Formula Continental.

When I look at photos of F440/F500s, the shocks(?) look remarkably different.

Any disadvantages in handling with these cars, especially if I load up the weight with a bunch of batteries?

Best,
    Jack

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a platform to build an electric open-wheel racecar. An F440/F500 comes to mind because a lot of them have sidepods where I can stuff batteries.

I'm curious as to how the suspension is compared to other formula cars. I have some experience n Formula Vee and Formula Continental.

When I look at photos of F440/F500s, the shocks(?) look remarkably different.

Any disadvantages in handling with these cars, especially if I load up the weight with a bunch of batteries?

Best,
    Jack
    They are extremely basic, by design in terms of suspension. They also are very small physically so the question of whether they are actually 1) large enough and 2) strong enough for your application should be considered.

Where do you intend to race this open-wheel racecar? I have spent a bit of time looking at the feasibility of this myself and have yet to find an adequate battery solution that wouldn't ruin the car from a weight perspective with the performance I would be seeking.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 82

I seem to recall Jay Novak built a electric powered F500 for Piles Peak. I don't know the details on whether or not he used the standard F500 suspension.

If you subtract the weight of the motor, fuel and other associated motor bits you're probably looking at 150lbs or so.

I also don't know what the weight limit is for the rubber pucks are; the bike engined cars are 900lbs with driver.

No clue what a battery pack weighs but my car weighs 640lbs without driver.

Liked: 57

Default Pike's Peak

Jay did build an electric Novakar for Pike's Peak. However, he made a bunch of changes, including larger wheels and a more traditional coil-over suspension.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pikes Peak Novakar.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	102778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pikes Peak Novakar - Nekid.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	102779  
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 227

The F500 suspensions are very limited by the rules, but have become sophisticated within those rules. One of the limiting factors is they must use rubber pucks of a specific size as the spring/shock. When set up correctly, they handle very well for a solid rear axle car.

I agree with the previous post - the size and weight of the batteries may be an issue. Since your electric car won't be limited by the F500 rules, consider the changes that Jay used on his electric car. He is a top notch designer/engineer.

Cory

Thread Information