Liked: 536

Default Help removing grease cap

I bought a Caldwell that came with CSP disc brake conversion, I'm returning it back to drums for vintage. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the grease caps off the front brakes. The rotor hat is aluminum and I don't want to get too rough and score the crap out of the nice machining. There's two notches in the hat but that sucker is in there tight. I'm pretty sure it's not a screw-in, I don't have the tool for it in the parts. The caps themselves are stainless steel.

Any tricks for getting stuck grease caps off without ruining the rotor hat? Hopefully heat isn't involved, I don't know if PB Blaster would help or not. Never had a problem like this on my Chevy!

Thanks!

Liked: 3787

I always used very large plumbing plyers, grabbing the rim where those two indents are.

YMMV

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default grease caps

I am not at all familiar with disc brakes, but on a stock application, there were two styles of caps. One had a lip all the way around on the Ball joint front ends. Large channel locks took care of that. On the link pin front end, I use the round shaft of a large screwdriver, put it between the gap on the cap and the drum and tap it with a hammer. It should pop off.

Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com
    fvraceri@cox.net

5. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 58

If all else fails, drill a hole in it and put a screw in and pull it/tap it out that way. Dust caps aren't that expensive if you need to wreck it to remove it.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Once off.

On my Spitfire caps, I brazed a 10/32 nut to cap, with hole below...then put a rubber vac. cap in hole when racing...used a screw to remove later (jack against spindle end). Guess you could use a nut-zert inside cap, too, if enough room.

Okie

8. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 536

Apparently there's a tool for removing these caps on a disc brake conversion. Just have to find it!

Thanks folks!

Thread Information