Liked: 1

Default Complete Newcomer looking for advice

Hi there,

I really have no knowledge except an extreme love for open wheel racing, a recent “retirement” from playing american football, and a general plan to start saving to buy a race car. if you guys could recommend any books I should read, youtube videos to watch, or general things i should start doing and familiarizing myself with now in this period of 1-2 years that I am going to be saving. Any replies or PM’s are greatly appreciated.

God Speed

Liked: 58

There are many great racing books out there, like the older series by Carroll Smith, but the best thing you can do is go to the track and lend a hand. People are always willing to have extra crew and you will learn a tremendous amount about the cars and make helpful contacts as you move forward. There can be a bit of downtime on race weekends too, so it's not all work...at all.
    The other thing you can do at the track is volunteer to be a flagger, etc. You are close to the action and will learn the way a race day unfolds.
    Best of luck.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

3. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 27

Another vote for going to the track and talking to people and looking at the cars.

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 830

Sam,
    Go to the NEFV.com website and look over the schedule there. Also, check out ChallengeCupSeries.com. Maybe contact one of those guys to ask about meeting them at a race that's convenient enough for you. The season for both is starting about NOW. Also, try facebook if you're a FB guy - search for 'formula vee' and you should come up with several groups. Formula Vee Racing USA is quite active and you can introduce yourself there and probably find someone close enough to connect with.

You should also look through the FV CLASSIFIED forum on this board to get an idea of how much $$$ would be involved in acquiring a 'starter car' .. for the future .

Good luck,
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Make sure you fit?

If you played football, imagine you could be on the bigger size.... go to track/races and ask to "try-on" cars like you want....some are much smaller than others...older V's are usually bigger...vintage might the place to go. Bill Noble, some consider the godfather of V, was a big guy, so, not impossible to fit and be fast.... do some shopping........Good luck.

There is an older book tilted: "Formula Vee/Super Vee", by Andrew Schupack, which has history and prep stuff. Older/dated, out of print, Worth finding a copy and reading along this journey. A smaller paperback, green, TAB 2063....Keep eye out for copy, has gotten costly in recent years.

Bob L.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 133

There are a lot of different race cars out there in SCCA, Vintage, and NASA. Tin tops and Formula and Sports Racers. Summit Point is a good track to go visit during a race weekend. Look around and talk with the drivers and crews. Sit in a few. Although this came up in the FV line, there are a lot of Formula cars and Sports Racers. A lot of choices depend on your budget (which will determine a lot of your choices). Buying a race car, trailer (enclosed or open), and a truck to tow them is basic. If you are a decent mechanic, you can maintain and set-up the car yourself. If not, you might choose a car where there is local help for you. Different classes require different financial commitments. National or Regional level drives a price as well. There are a few Arrive and Drive outfits where they maintain your car and you show up with helmet in hand. There are also rental programs available. Statically sitting in a car can be a lot different than driving one on track.

I am partial to the Formula and Sports Racers but I have only driven FF, DSR/Prototype, SRF and Miata on track.

There are a number of factors to consider. Take your time. Enjoy it, we love the sport!
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

1) Read through the "getting started" section of this site, as much of it as you can

2) If you have the $$, perhaps a couple of pro schools (sedan and formula) - see if you really like it inside the car before spending even more $$

3) Start thinking about a yearly operating budget. Then, if you decide to go ahead, you'll be looking for the intersection of a couple of things: enough cars in a particular class in your area to make racing interesting; and the operating costs of running that car about 5 races/year minimum.

4) Another thing to be considered is your mechanical aptitude - if you don't have it are you interested in learning. If not, then you'll probably need to rent or have a prep shop work on the car for you.

5) Also a time budget. Most cars will take a couple hundred hours of work in the garage over the first couple seasons on top of race prep to get them up to snuff, reliable ,and fully suited to you. Then 10-20 hours of time in the garage for every hour on the track.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    3) Start thinking about a yearly operating budget.
    Then add at least 50%

Excellent advice otherwise Rick.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Default in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    If you played football, imagine you could be on the bigger size.... go to track/races and ask to "try-on" cars like you want....some are much smaller than others...older V's are usually bigger...vintage might the place to go. Bill Noble, some consider the godfather of V, was a big guy, so, not impossible to fit and be fast.... do some shopping........Good luck.

There is an older book tilted: "Formula Vee/Super Vee", by Andrew Schupack, which has history and prep stuff. Older/dated, out of print, Worth finding a copy and reading along this journey. A smaller paperback, green, TAB 2063....Keep eye out for copy, has gotten costly in recent years.

Bob L.
    this will all come with time. My highest weight was 295, but i wasnt a naturally big guy. made a conscious decision my junior year of hs to put on weight to play college football. walked away from the sport in December, and i’m already down to 254. know i need time to save, so thatll give me time to lose more weight! i appreciate the advice. be well.

Default Thank you all so much!

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to this post. I have had Covid and have spent most of the last 3 day sleeping. I plan on looking at and reading through, as well as replying individually and such when I get into bed tonight and have my laptop.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information