Liked: 313

Default Jewelry while racing

It appears F1 is banning the wearing of jewelry while driving. Does the SCCA have a similar restriction?

Since my major surgery 16 months ago, I wear a medical bracelet. Allowed?

I feel better about wearing it on my wrist as opposed to having someone stitch several lines of text on my suit.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    It appears F1 is banning the wearing of jewelry while driving. Does the SCCA have a similar restriction?

I feel better about wearing it on my wrist as opposed to having someone stitch several lines of text on my suit.
    SCCA has no such restriction. Up to the individual to do their own risk/reward calculation.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

There's always a tattoo.....

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    There's always a tattoo.....
    A tattoo would certainly show commitment. But what if your condition changes?
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 91

I think even in F1, that would constitute medical equipment rather than jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

If I understand correctly they have had the rule for a long time.
    And just like the underwear rule that has always been there, they are enforcing the rules this year.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 323

I use a sticker on the rear of my helmet near the HANS posts for emergency information. More readily visible to e crews than a bracelet (I would still wear one if the medical condition were that grave)

-John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

10. The following members LIKED this post:

I guess the jewelry rule works out of an abundance of caution. For the most part, all jewelry does in motorsport is give you a nasty burn. I suppose with fractures and such it would take the medical staff more time to cut the stuff off.

Not like basketball or soccer where you could snag a piece of bling and rip a guy's ear lobe off, or break a finger.

Had a buddy that played semi-pro football. Like me, he wore a stainless order of the engineer ring on his pinky. Broke his pinky, and the hospital didn't have cutters that could get thru the stainless. This was long before Ti rings became popular. Yanking that thing off his swollen finger was excruciating.

Seems to me its a bit of a tempest in a teapot. Euros - have to have a rule for everything.

I'm surprised about the underwear issues. All that F1 stuff looks awfully thin, and it works by trapping air. No air no work. I'm surprised the stuff gets certification.

Liked: 605

Who the heck is going to see your.......
    'big deal - big lump of gold - big precious jewel - frankly nobody else cares what seemingly precious stuff you've got'....
    while you're racing ??

Not even yourself on track...........so take it off.....unless you actually like a hot spot in a fire....which would be YOUR fire.

Like I'll care about that......partly because I'm already a member of the "I'M ON FIRE !!" Club ...2 times

Try entry to the Club sometime...........you won't like it

If one cares to 'impress others' with how much money they have....try new sticker tires every session....because I for one won't be trying to see if your very large cubic zirconium actually will scratch a piece of glass or not.

Shall we count your wealth by how many people clamber to your car when you come into the pits ???

Take the material item off and go out on the track.........those of us with a Lotus understand the phrase > add lightness

13. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 58

Some years ago the big bracelet with your name and blood type was made popular by the movie "Grand Prix".

Soon thereafter there was an article by an emergency Doctor who explained that if you come to a sudden stop and your arms extend, the bracelet can continue on taking off the outer layer of skin from your hand in the process, "degloving" he called it.

I quit wearing anything other than my wedding ring, left my watch and such in the trailer. YMMV.

Hmmmm. F=ma. lots of a, not much m, and it takes a helluva lot of F to tear skin (at least until you hit 60, in which case it seems to tear like tissue paper and bleed all over everything).

I'm thinkin physics in premed wan't that guy's thing.

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Hmmmm. F=ma. lots of a, not much m, and it takes a helluva lot of F to tear skin (at least until you hit 60, in which case it seems to tear like tissue paper and bleed all over everything).

I'm thinkin physics in premed wan't that guy's thing.
    His comments were based on his experience as an emergency room physician, not theoretical physics.

Everything we do in a race car is physics and economics. Not a lot of theory there. He must have misunderstood what he saw. I ain't buyin.

If it was easy you could get out of handcuffs by de-gloving.

Liked: 133

50 years ago, I was in the USN Aircraft Mechanics Hydraulics school. One of the first thing the instructor showed us was a finger in a jar of Formaldehyde. A guy had his finger removed by his wedding ring when it caught on a protrusion in a wing while he was trying to climb down. The other example was to not check for hydraulic leaks with your hand. Hydraulic oil under 3000psi escaping thru a small hole in a line will slice your fingers off. Some life examples tend to stick with you. To this day, my wedding ring is removed when I work on cars, machinery, race, lift weights, etc.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Everything we do in a race car is physics and economics. Not a lot of theory there. He must have misunderstood what he saw. I ain't buyin.

How do you misunderstand a bloody hand with the skin peeled off?

Liked: 1115

If the cuffs are loose enough to pull past the bones of the wrist you might just get out of them with skin intact. Not something I'd ever try.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    How do you misunderstand a bloody hand with the skin peeled off?
    I'm not saying he didn't see a hand with the skin peeled off. I'm saying that a bracelet accelerated by the normal forces associated with an accident, are not going to do that. Something else probably grabbed the bracelet and perhaps his entire body weight swung from it - but just think a second and do some easy math, and try to tear something as easy as chicken skin. I'm saying it's an obvious exaggeration.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information