Liked: 2

Default Fuel sampling port location question

I am replacing the fuel lines in my car. It doesn't have a fuel sampling port in it.

I assume I need one. (?) Even for regional events?

I have an EFI equipped car. I was wondering if there is enough pressure after the regulator in line that returns to the tank? Not so happy about adding it on the high pressure side.

Liked: 133

Have not seen one connected to the return line. I use a Jiffy-Tite 3000 female connector situated in the hi-pressure line after the fuel filter using an inline tee fitting. I have a male Jiffy-Tite connector on a hose which can be used to provide a fuel sample or drain the fuel cell. It is mostly used as a fuel cell drain since I have never seen fuel samples taken at any of the Regionals or Majors I have attended in the last 15 years. RunOffs are a different story, however.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

I guess the real question for an uncompetitive P2 car- can I get a logbook without it? I can't imagine getting protested this year, and fewer junctions in the HP fuel line seems better for safety and complexity.

Getting the logbook without it depends on the Scrutineer who is issuing it. It is required according to the GCR, yet most of us never use it for fuel samples. Best bet would be to install it.

I have never had an issue with my set-up. But I always double check it and the fuel connections every time I loosen or even when I start the car each day.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Liked: 131

I have been notated for not having one at a Supertour.
    Return line will work fine.

I personally do not recommend a Schrader valve as there is too much risk of leaking, but that's what most people use and most tech inspectors are used to. If you go that route make SURE you use a teflon or viton valve that is rated for fuel (a regular tire one will quickly fail).

I use a -6 dry break fitting on the fuel line, but anything that won't leak is fine. Keep in mind the required fuel sample is about an ounce, so you don't need it to flow like a fire hose.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Squidink View Post
    I have an EFI equipped car..
    Usually there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail. Small hose that attaches.

btw, the rules say you must supply the hose as well.

I think the runoffs are the only event that requires the use of a certain fuel.
    Last edited by BeerBudgetRacing; 04.12.22 at 1:53 PM.

Liked: 281

I use a male Staubli dry break in the unused port of my regulator. I use it to pump out my fuel after each session. Quick and easy. You need one to get a log book for sure. I have been fuel tested at a regional but that was quite a while ago. Pressure or return line works fine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel port.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	102565  
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Shrader valve

I use a GM Shrader valve like they use to check Fuel pressure on FI cars/trucks. Rate for fuel use. Over priced but last forever, so guess not so bad. Never had one fail so far

Just take the gauge off the hose on your the fuel pressure tester to use for sample if needed.

Liked: 83

Default Fuel test port

I used an available port on the pressure regulator with a -6 an cap, when they wanted a sample I went and got the wrench.

David

Thread Information