Liked: 1

Default dbw throttle conversion

I didnt know where to post this question.
    Im looking to convert from DBC to DBW.
    Looking for ideas on how to modify existing pedal or replace if i can find a setup?
    thanks

Liked: 285

You will need a dual-output potentiometer for the throttle pedal (my suggestion would be for a contactless style from Penny & Giles).

Tilton makes a DBW setup for their pedal sets that uses a P&G pot.

I've adapted a parts from an Audi (I think it was from an older A8) on a 944 project I did.

Another option is to adapt an OEM pedal, which has the necessary springs (for feel) as well as the pot.

What engine / intake do you have? What ECU is controlling the engine -- does it have support for DBW?
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    You will need a dual-output potentiometer for the throttle pedal (my suggestion would be for a contactless style from Penny & Giles).

Tilton makes a DBW setup for their pedal sets that uses a P&G pot.

I've adapted a parts from an Audi (I think it was from an older A8) on a 944 project I did.

Another option is to adapt an OEM pedal, which has the necessary springs (for feel) as well as the pot.

What engine / intake do you have? What ECU is controlling the engine -- does it have support for DBW?

Thanks for input, its a honda k series with a kinsler ITB setup. Ford TPS AEM Infinty ECU.
    Ill have to look into the tilton pedal and see if that would work or if i needed to adapt.

Kinsler makes a nice actuator (very small, but priced at more than $3000 I believe) and could probably supply linkages to your ITB setup.
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 04.04.22 at 12:42 PM.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 231

I modified my Stohr pedal box to accommodate the off-the-shelf Tilton drive by wire bracket that Dave mentioned:
    https://tiltonracing.com/product/thr...inkage-system/

I started with an off the shelf rotary sensor but found that despite it being a dual output, 6-wire TPS, it was actually not suitable for drive by wire because the two outputs never overlapped in the correct way that they should to provide redundancy for safety.

My local dealer ordered a batch of custom specified Variohm sensors which are custom to provide dual output suitable for drive by wire. I just put one on my car and it works perfectly - while one sensor goes from 0-5V, the other travels 5-0V in the same increment.

https://trialengineering.com/products/euro-xpd-983-0225

A few others are using this specific sensor for BMW/Motec applications like mine, I suspect it would work for yours as well. There may be other places that have something similar, but I know this one works perfectly and he as a few left.

I've included a photo with my original Stohr pedal box as well as two photos of the same drive by wire unit, but with a new Tilton style pedal box to show different configurations possible. Hope that helps.

-Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Kinsler makes a nice actuator (very small, but price at more than $3000 I believe) and could probably supply linkages to your ITB setup.
    looked into this this is acutually needed for the system to be DBW you cant convert from a DBC. My system is too far thru the manufacting process to change to DBW at this point. IT would have cost close to $4500 more to convert if i could. staying DBC for now! thanks for input guys

I have used this Pierburg (OEM BMW) DBW actuator for existing ITBs on a 12-cylinder Ferrari as well as an upcoming project for a V8. It's a lot more affordable...
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

I have used this Pierburg (OEM BMW) DBW actuator for existing ITBs on a 12-cylinder Ferrari as well as an upcoming project for a V8. It's a lot more affordable...
    i did find a few more options out there that can used the exixting linkage so im not giving up yet.

Liked: 0

I just joined this group once I found this thread. I am working on the same project. Honda K24 with Kinsler 64mm itbs and DBW. I originally bought a Link ECU version of the EuroSensor TPS. I then discovered it did not have dual output over the same range. I just bought the TPS sensor from Trial Engineering after reading lowside67's post. I will post pics of what I currently have shortly.

Liked: 0

I flipped my linkage to underside and machined the main shaft for the "D" of the Eurosensor. I did not want to run a tps adapter. I also originally used a GM DBW actuator but I am switching to the BMW S54 version. You can see the balance tube on the bottom side, I am using that to mount the actuator to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HuxRacing View Post
    I flipped my linkage to underside and machined the main shaft for the "D" of the Eurosensor. I did not want to run a tps adapter. I also originally used a GM DBW actuator but I am switching to the BMW S54 version. You can see the balance tube on the bottom side, I am using that to mount the actuator to.
    looks good hows it fit when mounted? whats it going in? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HuxRacing View Post
    why the switch in acutators?

Thread Information