Liked: 676

Default helmet policy for Roebling

My new Bell was ordered on black Friday, but isn't in yet. If I show up with my old helmet, and the receipt for the ordered but unavailable helmet, does anyone know if I will be allowed to race? It's an expensive tow and too much work to go and be turned away.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I would check with the chief of tech or someone at Topeka. That way you will be sure. I do not personally think that an order for a new helmet will hold much water compared to actually having it (assuming that your "old" helmet does not have a recent enough Snell cert).
    Just MHO

I sent an e-mail to the registrar without reply. Not sure how to contact tech but I'll look into it. I think I am not alone in this situation.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

You will need a currently-acceptable helmet in order to pass Tech. An order confirmation will not pass muster.

Have you considered borrowing a helmet?
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 144

Jim,
    I'm planning on being at that event, but we'll be on track at the same time ( I drive a vee). What size helmet do you wear? I may know of someone I could borrow a helmet from for you to wear for the weekend.

James
    FV #19

Liked: 121

Why not borrow a helmet just to go thru tech? I seriously doubt it would be the first time it has been done.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    Why not borrow a helmet just to go thru tech? I seriously doubt it would be the first time it has been done.

Frequently, the people on the grid will look at helmet stickers. Not always, but often enough that one is well-advised always to go to the grid wearing a correctly-stickered helmet.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 121

As they should. Otherwise, rules are pointless.

Liked: 78

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    My new Bell was ordered on black Friday, but isn't in yet. If I show up with my old helmet, and the receipt for the ordered but unavailable helmet, does anyone know if I will be allowed to race? It's an expensive tow and too much work to go and be turned away.
    Check with Trackside Tim. He probably has a low cost Snell 2015 that he can bring to the track.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default How old is old?

GCR says 2015 Snell or later.... some other info about FIA from 2010. So how old is your old one? Have a FIA sticker?

What size do you need?

Track side Tim's trailer is often at SeDiv events, last check had some 2020 helmets (not Bell) in trailer....check with them as last resort? (John ran trailer for years...Tim passed a couple of years ago.)

Bob L.

Liked: 97

Call John at trackside tims. He has always had helmets for rent for the weekend. Reserve one.
    Skip Weld

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Call John at trackside tims. He has always had helmets for rent for the weekend. Reserve one.
    Skip Weld
    Do call and make sure he's going to race. He's missed a few vintage Sav. events recently that he normally was at. Bob L.

Liked: 295

Don't falsify anything. If something bad happens the insurance company can reject a claim using fraudulent equipment.

Liked: 20

Default Helmet Rental

RSR is a good option if you don't find anything in your area.

https://racesuitrental.com/rent_gear.html

Liked: 144

Default Thank you

Jim,
    I didn't get a chance to introduce myself this weekend, but I can't thank you enough for your patience and sportsmanship during yesterday's race. I was battling for the lead in FV, and saw you approaching to lap us as I exited turn 7 on the next to last lap. To alter my line would have truly cost me the race - you graciously backed off and gave us room without pressuring us.

This is my first year back in the car after a 17-year layoff. Many times I considered racing again, but had decided that SCCA racing just wasn't what it used to be. Thank you for reminding me that we're all out there for the same purpose. It was a pleasure to share the track with you. I owe you a beer at the next race!

Best,
    James Brookshire
    FV #19

James,

I am glad it worked out well. Congratulations on the win!

Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information