Thread: Steering a Vee

Liked: 536

Default Steering a Vee

So after purchasing a Caldwell D13 and losing enough weight to get into it, I'm wondering just how much lock it takes to maneuver a vee. Like, how much steering movement do you typically need on track? My wheel has a flat bottom, but it is rather difficult to get more than 90° left and right. Pacific Raceways, in particular, has two hairpins (3A & 3B), I just want to make sure I have enough arm to go through there, or if I need to find an old butterfly wheel.

Thanks for any input!

Liked: 830

On track you probably won't have any problems.. but you will need more than 90 degrees generally to maneuver in the paddock. Depends on whether your car has been modified for 'quick steer' or not. The easiest way to do that is to modify the pitman arm to be LONGER (if it's possible). After that, you have to cut off the VW steering arms at the wheel and fabricate something else to speed up the turning.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 9

Default Steering

I have a D13 and run the upper Midwest tracks. I need more than 90 degrees in the steering. Had a flat bottom steering wheel and installed a round one.

Liked: 295

I'd say don't worry. Once at speed your subconscience brain will know what to do with your arms. I worried about mine just trying it sitting still. Once at speed I got caught a few times and hit cones but now? No problem.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

The D13 should have a steering arm extension as shown in this picture:
    http://bellaphotographics.com/Formul...laVee%2074.htm

Next there are some 9" steering wheels on the market, used to be through the general market, but now seems to be through select FV suppliers. This might allow you to raise the wheel in the car, giving you better ability to turn (for lack of a better term).

Last and a technique we have to use at some of the tight turns in the NE is to shuffle or preset up our hand positions on the wheel. I found this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xg4Fr9SY04

My son uses a techniques like this. He keeps his hands around 9 and 3 and shifts them around to keep them there in the turns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wy2ogVX_o&t=182s

Now I have to teach my self this as it also keeps the gauges more in view....

ChrisZ
    Last edited by FVRacer21; 03.09.22 at 9:59 AM. Reason: spelling

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

What diameter is your steering wheel? Going smaller might be a solution if you are larger than 10 inch.

Liked: 536

After my first event, I found that I was able to steer just fine, it's definitely better rolling than parked! Only issue I had was the back stepped out on a slow hairpin once and I couldn't shuffle fast enough to catch it before putting some wheels off, but I'll bet I'll get better with it.

Why didn't people tell me these things were so fun?

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information