Liked: 80

Default Looking at Buying a Hans Device

Hello All,

I'm feeling like I need a Hans device for CF Racing but I find it hard to pick the right one, I've heard of different degrees when sitting in a Formula Ford type car is there a going number that may fit without digging into your chest. I've check out the web site but still have the question above, they say a 30 degree is for 200 lbs + but then would a 20 degree fit someone drive a FF. Any feed back here would be great.

Thank you

Ben

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

You won't find one more confortable:
    https://necksgen.com/head-and-neck-r...73-rev2-carbon

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    You won't find one more confortable:
    https://necksgen.com/head-and-neck-r...73-rev2-carbon
    This !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

Wherever you shop for your HNR, make sure you can send it back if it is not right for you. It is much more than comfort. Usually with bigger guys, but different chest and neck configurations will not work with some HNR devices, particularly the actual HANS brand. You also may need to scallop the lower edge of your helmet, and reconfigure your shoulder straps to move the buckles away from your helmet lower edge. When i say "will not work" I mean that your head will be looking to the stars, and you won't be able to see the dash or track ahead of you. The Simpson Hybrid HNR was the only one that worked for me. I hated it, but it allowed me to race.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Wherever you shop for your HNR, make sure you can send it back if it is not right for you. It is much more than comfort. Usually with bigger guys, but different chest and neck configurations will not work with some HNR devices, particularly the actual HANS brand. You also may need to scallop the lower edge of your helmet, and reconfigure your shoulder straps to move the buckles away from your helmet lower edge. When i say "will not work" I mean that your head will be looking to the stars, and you won't be able to see the dash or track ahead of you. The Simpson Hybrid HNR was the only one that worked for me. I hated it, but it allowed me to race.
    The Necksgen eliminated every issue I had with a Hans.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 268

Default head and neck

I've used the NecksGen for years. Works very well in a limited cockpit size and I recommend the 2" shoulder harness sized one as it allows more flexibility for movement of your shoulders. I have had the regulars Hans device which I found confining in a small cockpit and with a reclining seating position. Also had problems with visibility because of the length of the unit and harness hardware when trying to see the dash, especially if the helmet has a lip or small visor. Also had problems with harness staying in place, probably fixed now that they have added a fence on the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    I've used the NecksGen for years. Works very well in a limited cockpit size and I recommend the 2" shoulder harness sized one as it allows more flexibility for movement of your shoulders. I have had the regulars Hans device which I found confining in a small cockpit and with a reclining seating position. Also had problems with visibility because of the length of the unit and harness hardware when trying to see the dash, especially if the helmet has a lip or small visor. Also had problems with harness staying in place, probably fixed now that they have added a fence on the unit.
    Thank you All,

This is what I need to know even though I've heard of just Hans and everyone may say their the latest greatest, I didn't want to buy one and have the experience of owning one painful. So thank you for the insight.

Don't stop talking about Your experiences, like where to Reposition the seat belt location.

Ben

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    Don't stop talking about Your experiences, like where to Reposition the seat belt location.
    See:
    https://necksgen.com/faq

Scroll down to "seats and belts". They discuss attachment point gap and angle from attachment to shoulder.
    It's pretty much the same for all devices.

Also, this year I had to get a new helmet. Bought a carbon one (Bell GP3) and completed my first weekend with it a couple weeks ago. Geez what a difference that made in the fast corners! Lighter is definitely better.

Liked: 1115

The last time I switched cars I wound up in a more upright seating position and my 30 degree classic HANS forced my head down to the point I was peering out the top of my visor. Rather than go to a 20 degree I got a NecksGen and am delighted with it, can probably use it in any car.

Belts:
    http://crowsafetygear.com/Pages/Install.html
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 296

I have the BDSM Simpson setup, and while it's not nearly as slick getting it on and off and it looks a bit silly, it's easily the most comfortable of the various HNR's I have had.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 108

Default Flex

I really like my schroth flex.

Thank you All,

For the great feed back, I went to an Autocross this weekend to shake down the car (no lose parts LOL) and with a new Ivey head everything worked out great, I got the Necksgen and I have a lot of movement to see so feels great and move my head from side to side. I really didn't even know I had it on so big plus.

I going to feel so much better now I feel safer.

Ben

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information