Fallen Friend
    Liked: 19

Default Super Vee Engine question

Need some help identifying thread size. This is a 1.6L rabbit water-cooled engine for a Super Vee. I am building a side mount for it to mount it on my engine stand and want to use the four bolt holes shown (three are larger and one is smaller). I believe they are 8mm and 10mm and I have tried all 3 thread pitches (1.0, 1.25 and 1.5) but none seem to thread in. There is some rust evident in the holes, plus I don't have metric taps. A metric tap set may be my next tool purchase but in the meantime if someone can tell me the correct size and pitch I will just buy the 2 correct taps for now.

All help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Call Bob Morris

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Follansbee View Post
    Need some help identifying thread size. This is a 1.6L rabbit water-cooled engine for a Super Vee. I am building a side mount for it to mount it on my engine stand and want to use the four bolt holes shown (three are larger and one is smaller). I believe they are 8mm and 10mm and I have tried all 3 thread pitches (1.0, 1.25 and 1.5) but none seem to thread in. There is some rust evident in the holes, plus I don't have metric taps. A metric tap set may be my next tool purchase but in the meantime if someone can tell me the correct size and pitch I will just buy the 2 correct taps for now.

All help is appreciated.
    My two cents more than a tap you should have a set of Std and Metric thread pitch gauges. Would not be the first time in history that someone changed a thread.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

For future use, buy a product called Thread Detective to identify mystery bolts and bolt holes. I have three of them, and they have proven to be useful on many occasions just like the situation you're in now. Well worth the money.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 19

Default Figured it out!

Found a 10m x 1.5 tap in my misc. tap pile (we all have one of those) and that's what the 3 large ones are. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Thread Information