Thread: Radio vendors

Liked: 390

Default Radio vendors

I'm looking for suggestions for 2-way radio and accessory suppliers to get a in-car harness made for Motorola radios.

I bought the radios from Speedcom in FL to support them as they are a supporter of the FRP series, but they won't make a custom harness.

I have always used Racing Communications in Kenshaw GA in the past, but they seem to have a bit of an attitude lately when I call them and are currently 4+ weeks to deliver the harness.

Racing Radios is about 35% higher cost for the harness so they don't seem like the best option.

Who's left?

Liked: 101

call PCI racing radios in Cypress ca they make all kinds of custom stuff
    Dee

Liked: 945

PCI is very good. I have used this company for car harness, helmet kits and adapters.
    https://www.ruggedradios.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 79

I've had excellent service from Speedcom.

https://www.speedcomracing.com/

Liked: 298

Hey Mike you might want to try sampsonracing.com they are in CA and I have used them since going to radio's. They also repaired some stuff for me as well.
    866-396-7231

Ed

6. The following members LIKED this post:

I've now called PCI, Speedcom, and Sampson, and none of them will make the harness to custom lengths.

I didn't think this was asking for much - I've always had the radio harness made in my cars to avoid coiling all the extra wire. I must have just been lucky working with Racing Communications over the years and it looks like I'll be using them again.

Mike

Liked: 3287

Default Extra wiring

When I first got radios back in 2014, I just coiled the extra length where needed (behind the dash and just below the radio). It wasn't a big deal - it doesn't weigh much and is out of the way. Even with the new digital radios that I just installed, that wiring is still there. I have photos if you want them.
    Dave Weitzenhof

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    I've now called PCI, Speedcom, and Sampson, and none of them will make the harness to custom lengths.

I didn't think this was asking for much - I've always had the radio harness made in my cars to avoid coiling all the extra wire. I must have just been lucky working with Racing Communications over the years and it looks like I'll be using them again.

Mike
    I’m with you, I hate the extra length. I always shorten the harness to fit the car. But you can totally do it yourself Mike, it’s just a couple of wires, no magic involved. The old harnesses used a plastic box at the junction which was easier to get into to shorten the whole shebang. Most of them nowadays use a molded joint at the junction so you have to be a little more creative. The last one I did for the Super 7 I got a small plastic box of around 1”x2”x1/2” (maybe from Mouser? I can’t remember for sure) and then put the junction in there so I could shorten the harness and keep all my work hidden and tidy looking. I also like to integrate it into the harness at the steering wheel breakout so the PTT button on the wheel matches the ones for my data system.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Thanks guys -

Dave - I know the easiest thing to do is just coil the extra wire, but I can barely fit my hands in between everything when working on the car so I hate having to work around the extra wire.

Ethan - I'll take a look. I've made plenty of data system cables before I just never considered modifying the radio harness my self. In the past I never paid any extra to have it made to length - they just charged me the same cost as a standard harness so I never bothered to do it. I always assumed there was a filter of some type in the junction box, but I guess it's just a splitter. I'm sure I can find something to replace it if I break it open to shorten the wires.

Mike

Thread Information