Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Midyear Van Diemen Rear Upright Assembly

Gents;

Anyone have drawings or photos of the rear hub assembly as it is pieced together?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

Anyone have drawings or photos of the rear hub assembly as it is pieced together?
    You might be better to list a year or years, mid-year doesn't really denote anything in the VD range.

Cheers,
    David

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    You might be better to list a year or years, mid-year doesn't really denote anything in the VD range.

Cheers,
    David
    I think he means a 90 1/2 Van Diemen or maybe one made in June ...lol

Cheers,
    David
    All;

RF-94/95/96
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1476

inner drive flange and outer sandwitch the bearing. Remove the bolts, the inner flange will just pop out. Outer hub is a light press fit, usually putting it in a cooler with dry ice will make it easy to press out. I usually put the upright in my gas grill and put it on low and eventually the bearing will drop put on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    inner drive flange and outer sandwitch the bearing. Remove the bolts, the inner flange will just pop out. Outer hub is a light press fit, usually putting it in a cooler with dry ice will make it easy to press out. I usually put the upright in my gas grill and put it on low and eventually the bearing will drop put on its own.
    Kirchner;

Is there a Teflon plug with six (6) holes on the GB side of the drive flange. I am converting to MS bolts, and the cost is exorbitant. Just want to make sure on the lengths.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Kirchner;

Is there a Teflon plug with six (6) holes on the GB side of the drive flange. I am converting to MS bolts, and the cost is exorbitant. Just want to make sure on the lengths.
    There is a teflon stopper but it sits on the center 6 SHCS that hold the drive flange and the hub together. The bolts do not go through the stopper. However if you go away from the SHCS system you will create a problem with the stopper that will have to be tackled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1476

You can replace the SHCS for hex bolts - i have some inner flanges that have an integrated tripos that use hex bolts. BUT - without hex pockets machined in the flange you may find it difficult to keep the bolts from turning - not sure there's socket clearance available.

There is a teflon stopper but it sits on the center 6 SHCS that hold the drive flange and the hub together. The bolts do not go through the stopper. However if you go away from the SHCS system you will create a problem with the stopper that will have to be tackled.
    David;

Who can supply these teflon stoppers? I did not see them on the Primus website.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 703
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    You can replace the SHCS for hex bolts - i have some inner flanges that have an integrated tripos that use hex bolts. BUT - without hex pockets machined in the flange you may find it difficult to keep the bolts from turning - not sure there's socket clearance available.
    Kirchner;

With mentorship and the recommendation of Bill Dormandy, I went with MS21250-05-66, 12-point heads. These are far superior to the typical stock SHCS.
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information