Liked: 131

Default 2005/6 gsxr 1000 info

My car runs an 05 gsxr1000 engine and I find myself in need of a couple pieces of info and no easy way to get it.

1- basic dimensions of oem gage cluster.
    2- radius of speed sensor pickup.

If anyone has a bike and could measure, or just knows this stuff, it would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
    Pat

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

Not sure why you want the gauge cluster as it doesn't really help much in a car. It does offer the ability to check for error codes but that can be plugged into the harness (if you have the connectors present) for diagnosis. There are better tachs available, or a data display from a DA box.

I may have a speed sensor. They're usually not used in a car as they aren't accurate with different sprocket and tire/wheel sizes. I'll see if I can find it. PM me.

Actually I was hoping to replace my speedometer and tach with it to make more space on the dash. A digital dash is in the future some time but I can't afford it right now, I thought this might be an easy solution to get both of those, water temp, and shift light all in one place. As I'm sure you are aware, dash space on the AMAC is very limited and especially with the paddle shift I am struggling to fit everything I need.

For the sensor I need to radius from axle center to sensor, not the size of the sensor itself. I could probably guess at it and calibrate via GPS though.

Contributing Member

IF you use the stock dash I assume you will employ a speedohealer or some such device to correct for different tire and sprocket size?

Refresh my memory which Amac do you have?

Liked: 133

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    IF you use the stock dash I assume you will employ a speedohealer or some such device to correct for different tire and sprocket size?

Refresh my memory which Amac do you have?
    That AMAC is the one that Dick Boggs and I owned.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Mine is a '98 AM7.

I was hoping to find out the stock sensor radius, then I can figure out the right radius to mount the sensor on for my tire size to get a correct speed reading. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect, just something to help me see if different lines are faster when I'm learning a new track.

First thing is to find someone who can take a measurement so I can see if the cluster even fits well in my dash space.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Mine is a '98 AM7.

I was hoping to find out the stock sensor radius, then I can figure out the right radius to mount the sensor on for my tire size to get a correct speed reading. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect, just something to help me see if different lines are faster when I'm learning a new track.

First thing is to find someone who can take a measurement so I can see if the cluster even fits well in my dash space.
    The year of your car doesn't help me much. Previous or original owner tells me which car it is. Knowing that Dick Boggs was the original owner tells me exactly which car it is. I actually drove that car for a few laps when Dick had the 600cc turbo motor in it! Top speed was almost 160 MPH!

I can't get to my spare motors at the moment to figure the measurement but if I remember right the speed sensor senses a tab on a lock washer at the end of the countershaft sprocket. I'm guessing that your sprocket cover has been cut away and modified such that you can remove the sprocket without removing that cover? If thats the case, all you really need is to find an unmolested cover and you should be fine. Or, you need to make a bracket to mount the sensor in its original location, and you obviously also will need that little lock washer with the tabs on it for the sensor to sense. If all this is correct, and you want to use the original suzuki dash (and speed sensor) but don't care if the speed is actually accurate, just repeatable, I'd do this: Instead of putting the sensor where it originally was, I'd mount it on the differential and sense the heads of the CV bolts as they go by the sensor. You may need to adjust the gap between the heads of the bolts and the sensor pickup surface but that should do the trick to generate pulses for the stock suzuki dash to use for generating a speed signal. Or if thats not convenient, you can mount a ferrous object on a wheel hub and have the sensor there. I've done this on a front wheel on one of my Amacs. I'll see if I can get a picture of that and upload it to this thread. Or better yet, PM me your email address and I'll just send it to you that way, which will be a lot easier for me.

Hope this all helps!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 272

Yeah, actually pulling the signal off the diff (CV bolt head etc) would be notably better, since it'd be robust against sprocket changes - as long as your tire size doesn't change, you'd get a solid signal, at least off one side of the rear...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Yeah, actually pulling the signal off the diff (CV bolt head etc) would be notably better, since it'd be robust against sprocket changes - as long as your tire size doesn't change, you'd get a solid signal, at least off one side of the rear...
    Its my understanding he doesn't care about real actual speed he is just interested in relative speeds in the same corner for comparison purposes lap to lap. But yeah keeping the sensor away from the sprocket and chain is the main goal here.

Liked: 83

Patman,
    To get more dash space on the AMAC dash move it to the back side of the front hoop, and use the area under the body outside the dash hoop to mount gages.

David

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Its my understanding he doesn't care about real actual speed he is just interested in relative speeds in the same corner for comparison purposes lap to lap.
    Years ago I remember reading drivers used the tach for discerning improvements in corner exit speed. Maybe in a Niki Lauda book. Or Donahue, or ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

^ I have tried that but I can't do it, for some reason my brain can remember a speed and still use the tach for shifting but not an RPM.

I thought it read off the wheel. If it is on the sprocket then no problem I can translate that into accurate speed easily enough.

Thanks for the info guys.

Thread Information