Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Looking for starter for 83 RT5 SV

Trying to source/sort out starter on my 83 Ralt RT5. Hewland mk 9. Starter on car is a Bosch 0 001 157 023, with an alum adapter to bellhousing (right side of engine). Best I can count has 9 T. Searching it seems that it is from a BMW airhead motor cycle, 77-87?. Has 2 ears to bolt to adapter plate, with 2 other bolts into bellhousing for the adapter. Further found a "new" spare in parts about haft the Bosch size, with #18915N on tag. Tried that on and spins nicely but doesn't engage ring gear. Old starter will engage ring gear, but lacks omph to turn engine over with plugs loosely screwed in.... plugs out, it does spin over enough to build oil pressure.

Quick check on dimension between old one and "spare" appears almost the same, with then new spare having what appears to be permanent magnets, less weight, perhaps less projection/throw on bendix gear...but not by much...maybe .100-..150". Can't go thinner on adapter plate as no meat for threads to mount starter to it.

So, throwing this out to see if someone has better info on a starter setup for old SV/Mk9 with higher torque.... haven't looked into "special" high torque/reduction options, ala Twin Cam, FF, others, dubious of success on something this old/odd....don't want to get into inventing either... just spin the engine enough to start with plugs installed. (Had old FVC in a 212 years ago.... old Lucas starter that had to use 18v to crank....12 V to run...was a pain.)

This setup appears not using any VW/Audi/Car starter motors I've found, so far, via bosch p//n searches.

old starter appears rated at 0.7 KW.....see some permanent mag. jobs at 1.2Kw or better, so moving newer seems right direction....if I can get to engage ring gear!

Any guidance from "users" would be appreciated.

Bob L.

Liked: 139

Default Photos

Someone might recognize starters from photos.

Fallen Friend

Default another thought?

Got to go check rotation on that "spare/new" starter (18915N)....perhaps it rotated wrong direction for bendix to work when I installed/tried and it failed to engage flywheel....duh. Easy to get cw and ccw turned about when specs don't speak of direction viewed...? Bendix didn't have much "lead" on teeth, as I recall, but........?

More investigation to be done.. on what's here. Permanent magnets, perhaps possible to reverse rotation if not right. Sigh.

Looked at the other SVs I have, they both seems to have std. VW starters....if holes in RT5 bellhousing to fit them are on the adapter, there's another possible solution.....but, way heavier, and not much extra power...

not possible to do pictures at this time....but can view via the part numbers first posted....

too much thinking for tonight.....

Bob L.

Liked: 309

I had that same setup (Mk9 w/alum adapter, right side starter) on my 1.8L SV engine. It used the standard 1983/4 Golf GTI starter. As you note it was heavy and not very powerful, but more than enough to start the engine, hot or cold, with no drama. Hope that helps.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 553

Possible solution - Take your old starter to a good rebuilder and maybe they can make it brand new.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 101

call Mark Bushman 630 2798834 he is the best starter rebuilder he did my RT5 unit and WOW!!!!!!!!!

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    call Mark Bushman 630 2798834 he is the best starter rebuilder he did my RT5 unit and WOW!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know Mark Bushman, but I like this post. Thanks!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 490

Default Marc

He does all of my starters, By far the best I have ever used!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Fallen Friend

Thanks to all. Have a super local starter dude, so headed there....if needed.

Meanwhile... found 2 "std" VW starters, one automatic, all worked and rotated right way...was able to bolt factory stuff to hewland adapter, after drilling out lower hole in starters for 3/8" to fit one odd hole in flg. None engaged ring gear. peeking thru opening while running appears that they might be offset too much to reach ring gear...how/why not sure as that is cast into adapter, the one thing not variable......all appear similar to first starter dimensionally on working end. Like ring gear is too small? However, need to investigate further...'tis confusing. One meshes, 3 don't. All run and extend bendix...bendix gears are all 9T and have similar od across tips.

Need longer arms or remote eyes to "see" what is going one, For now, it's down to doing more checking than finding another starter.

Appreciate the help, can't see why stuff isn't working, answer has to be simple, but needs sorting out in shop....time to stand on head a bit longer...

Again, thanks.

Bob L.

Fallen Friend

Default Final update, I hope

Figured I'd post an update.

Seems my starter was from BMW air head motorcycles, with 9 T. The spare (18915N) I found in trailer, which didn't engage, had issue with the clutch... Got another, new 18915N from my local guy, swapped endbells, as new one for BMW had threaded holes in the endbell. Now, turns over with plugs, all be it not super fast. New starter is rated at 1.2KW, vs. .7 KW on Bosch removed, and 1.0 on VW starters.

Never got my automatic transmission VW starter to engage, it mounts directly to hewland adapter. Don't know why not, as appears to be what is used on my March and Lynx SVs, w/o starter adapter.

Anyway, that BMW aftermarket job worked out, for now.

Thanks for all who replied.

Now to find those camloc studs for the side pod bottom edge.

Bob L.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    Now to find those camloc studs for the side pod bottom edge.

Bob L.
    Don't know which specific camloc studs you have in mind, but does this look close? We uses these to attach Stohr bodywork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dzus Buttons.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	101405  
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Fallen Friend

Default nope, not it

Appeared to be 50ES-20 or 19. Those have a round cross pin near bottom....Bellville/flat spring washers under head. More common camlocs (think 26 and 40 series) seen on race cars (Pegagus/others) have a coil spring under the head, eats up more space. These are different, looked to be 50 series.... My earlier post had more of a description...more pictures there... Got Ben at RaceParts looking....he thought he had a lead.... Only need a few....6-10.

Reason I want that 50 series, is the stationary part/receiver is riveted to inside of tub....can't swap them out easily.

Thanks.

Bob L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7100.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	101407  

Thread Information