Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 5

For Sale 1978 Van Diemen RF78

1978 Van Diemen RF78 with good spares/extras - SOLD

Located in Trail, B.C. Canada—10 minutes from the border

I have had the car for 2 years but have only raced it 2 weekends in that time. I have too many others projects that I am more passionate about at this time so I have very reluctantly decided to sell.

(There is no valve cover in the pictures as I was giving it a repaint and was impatient to take photos)

About the car:
    -Britain West built engine with only 3 race weekends on it. Aluminum head, scat crank.
    -Wired transponder
    -Belts good until 2025
    -Stainless exhaust
    -Steel floor- I was told it was a school car at one point.
    -14LF calipers in front- comes with LD19s to convert if desired
    -AVO single adjustable dampers

It is ready to go racing, just get in and go! At the last race weekend it was the best starting/running FF in the field. You barely have time to take your finger of the start switch before it’s instantly running and you don’t have to pedal it to get it going.

What we have done in the last year:
    -New electronic gauges and dash panel and switches
    -Rewired whole car
    -Fabricated new aluminum seat
    -New coolant hoses and fabricated new aluminum pipes.
    -Cooling system flushed
    -Shift linkage tightened up
    -New bushings for shift finger seal
    -Calipers rebuilt
    -Master cylinders rebuilt
    -New clutch line
    -New battery box
    -New aluminum overflow tank and oil filter guard
    -New sway bar connectors
    -CV joints repacked
    -Oil pump taken apart and inspected and leaks fixed
    -New fire system lines
    -And probably a lot of other stuff I am missing.

Comes with:
    -Custom built heavy duty cart/stand
    -Aluminum toe string bars that bolt to the car
    -1 extra set of wheels with rains mounted with 3 sessions on them.
    -1 brand new set of American racer tires—tires on the car have 1 race weekend on them
    -LD19 Calipers for the front to convert if desired
    -Brand new Ivey distributor and a pertronix coil purchased a few months ago
    -Brand new Wires-lots of spark plugs
    -Bottles of Lucas engine Oil and gear oil and oil filter
    -13!!! sets of Hawk Brake pads (black and blue) plus the set that is on the car...
    -Brand new Fuel pump
    -Various Carb parts,
    -Tons of caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits etc.
    -Aluminum pit stands
    -Starter battery with cart
    -4 Scales set
    -Set of spare gauges
    -A few gearbox parts and gear sets
    -Brand new radiator caps and thermostats
    -Lots of various engine gaskets
    -Water pump belts

I have never shipped a car internationally but I would be willing to help in any way I could. If there is a picture of something you would like to see, just let me know! I can be contacted at joshuakoopmans@gmail.com

(Dog Not Included)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Koopsy; 10.21.22 at 12:07 PM. Reason: SOLD

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Some more pictures:

These photos taken in 2021 at Mission, B.C. by Brent Martin at Martins Action Photography

Hoosier Rains mounted on Revolution wheels and new slicks purchased in 2021 as well as battery cart and stands we made.

Liked: 97

Is this a good car for a 6 foot 3 inch driver who is not to heavy?
    Thanks,
    Skip Weld

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Thanks,
    Skip Weld
    You would probably have to make a new seat to fit, I am 5’ 10” and 160lbs.

Thanks,
    Skip Weld

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Koop!

Say it isn't so, man!

I was hoping we'd see a lot more of you this season.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Koop!

Say it isn't so, man!

I was hoping we'd see a lot more of you this season.
    I know... Unfortunately yes... Baby on the way and just too many other projects that I can’t give it the full attention it deserves. I’ll still be coming to the track, just not in a FF for the immediate future.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

nwp

I would probably buy the car if it was closer. I just don't have time to come and get it and bring it to Florida. It is what I am looking for.
    If anyone has an idea on how to get it here for a reasonable price, I could be interested.
    Thanks,
    Skip

Liked: 85

Beautiful car, nice job upgrading it Josh but isn't the car an RF77? I thought RF77 was last VD with side radiators?

Quote Originally Posted by Koopsy View Post
    These photos taken in 2021 at Mission, B.C. by Brent Martin at Martins Action Photography

Contributing Member

I know... Unfortunately yes... Baby on the way and just too many other projects that I can’t give it the full attention it deserves. I’ll still be coming to the track, just not in a FF for the immediate future.
    Well if it must be, it must be.What I'll tell everyone here is that I've seen that car both before and after Koops bought and then refreshed it, and he did a great job. Anyone who buys it will be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Robinson View Post
    Beautiful car, nice job upgrading it Josh but isn't the car an RF77? I thought RF77 was last VD with side radiators?
    I’m pretty sure it’s a 78. I’ve seen other photos labeled as 78s with the side radiators. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a chassis plate anymore. Must not have been put back on after the frame was painted. Log book says 78. Hard to find definitive info on when they changed.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Well if it must be, it must be.What I'll tell everyone here is that I've seen that car both before and after Koops bought and then refreshed it, and he did a great job. Anyone who buys it will be very happy.
    Thanks Alan, we put a lot of work into it and definitely planned on keeping it and racing for many more years.

Liked: 3

Default interested

I owned a RF80. It was a front radiator car. Any heating problems with this one? It would be going to the lower 48, though probably raced at PIR (Portland) some. How does it corner weight?

Quote Originally Posted by mwells View Post
    I owned a RF80. It was a front radiator car. Any heating problems with this one? It would be going to the lower 48, though probably raced at PIR (Portland) some. How does it corner weight?
    I've owned a 1979 and a 1980 both had front radiators, I'm currently working on a 1975 which has side radiators; the question is when did Van Diemen build their last side radiator cars?

With the larger water pump pulley (slower rotation) and a well sealed (13lbs) rad cap I haven't had overheating problems with any of the Van Diemens front or side radiators.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

I've owned a 1979 and a 1980 both had front radiators, I'm currently working on a 1975 which has side radiators; the question is when did Van Diemen build their last side radiator cars?

With the larger water pump pulley (slower rotation) and a well sealed (13lbs) rad cap I haven't had overheating problems with any of the Van Diemens front or side radiators.
    78 was the last year of side radiators
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    78 was the last year of side radiators
    Then I stand corrected, I thought it was 1977.
    Thanks Stonebridge20.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mwells View Post
    No overheating problems at all, runs exceptionally well. I have grown very fond of the side radiator look! We did not have any issues corner weighting the car. It seems as though border restrictions are easing so getting it across shouldn’t be a huge issue.

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    If anyone has an idea on how to get it here for a reasonable price, I could be interested.
    Thanks,
    Skip
    Slim chance, but perhaps someone from the PNW area is coming to the VIR runoffs with trailer space?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Then I stand corrected, I thought it was 1977.
    Thanks Stonebridge20.
    That car has a 78 nose and main section with a 79 rear section. Those 78's are good cars and the 79 rear made them better.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 0

Default From Gustavo Del Campo

Please can you found for me how much will be to send to Laredo TX.

Best Regards
    Gustavo
    Whats App +52 552095 5027

Liked: 2

Default Collection of Race Car from Canada

Hi Guys - re international shipping and transport - I thought I would give you an idea of the costs of collecting a vehicle from Vancouver Canada and trucking it down to the Southern USA..
    I am in LA and I just drove up to Vancouver - crossed the border, collected a race car for a Customer and brought it back on a trailer into the USA. At the border I cleared it thru customs - some paperwork but manageable and all went smoothly. Here were the costs gas = $550 Hotels = $350 No Duty or Tax at border Trucking cost was $5000 So total cost for the customer is around US$6000
    Trail BC to Laredo is about 200 miles more than Vancouver to LA - so your costs will be a bit higher.
    You should appreciate that weather in the mountains was patchy - a **** ton load of snow still falling and temps below freezing - roads icy and not much fun in places.
    My concern if I was doing this trip is the weather in the mountains - it can still be crappy in April thru May. So my guess would be around US$6300 to get this car from Canada to Laredo TX - hope that helps

Default Racecar transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Hi Guys - re international shipping and transport - I thought I would give you an idea of the costs of collecting a vehicle from Vancouver Canada and trucking it down to the Southern USA..
    I am in LA and I just drove up to Vancouver - crossed the border, collected a race car for a Customer and brought it back on a trailer into the USA. At the border I cleared it thru customs - some paperwork but manageable and all went smoothly. Here were the costs gas = $550 Hotels = $350 No Duty or Tax at border Trucking cost was $5000 So total cost for the customer is around US$6000
    Trail BC to Laredo is about 200 miles more than Vancouver to LA - so your costs will be a bit higher.
    You should appreciate that weather in the mountains was patchy - a **** ton load of snow still falling and temps below freezing - roads icy and not much fun in places.
    My concern if I was doing this trip is the weather in the mountains - it can still be crappy in April thru May. So my guess would be around US$6300 to get this car from Canada to Laredo TX - hope that helps
    Great information, thanks for posting!

Default transport costs

My pleasure - I do this all the time. Mostly export to Australia and South Africa - but other destinations too.

The Drag Car cost US$26,000 - no engine or transmission - so the % of transport cost vs purchase cost is bearable.

However ....... a $6300 transport cost when the car is $15,000 - well that does make it a bit harder to justify purchasing the vehicle. That said, I have been looking for a Lola T342 and nothing has come up close to me. So I too have looked at something from the US East Coast but transport is not cheap.

The cost of gas is pretty high as you all appreciate and its a darn long way from Canada or US East Coast

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 229

I have had cars go to California from Innisfil Ontario, (just north of Toronto) and more than a few come to us from there. The shipping with Horseless Carriage was around $2800 with some logistics costs for the border adding a couple hundred more at times. I also flew once to California, rented a Penske cube van and packed two Pipers in it and drove it home. Left on a Thursday at 1pm from Fast Forward with a goal to get to Lucas Oil Speedway for the Night Before The 500 RTI races and made it with 30 minutes to spare, then back on the road and home Sunday morning. Hotels, fuel, flight and food ended up being around $3400. Was a great experience with my young racer Zacharie Robichon as my co-pilot. He has gone on to become a bit of a sportscar ace and still great friend. If you want things bad enough, find a way.........sometimes the road trips are the best memories.

Brian.

By the way, this car looks great and will be a super club ford for someone.

31. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 23

Default 78-79 radiators

From Simon at URS

"Hello Alan,

All the VD's from 77 to 80 are the same 'family', with small changes from year to year. Wishbones, radius rods, uprights, dampers, etc, should be common to all, although there are various combinations of front hub and brake parts. The 78 used Girling LF14 front calipers, the 79-80 used AP LD19-type, for example.

The chassis layout is similar for all the cars, but with a few detail mods. I don't think they fitted forward-facing stays to the main roll-hoop until 79/80, and some of the engine bay tubes are changed on the later cars. Engine mounting on the 77-78 was by two ali castings bolted to the sides; from 1979 they used a front 'spider' frame with two ali side plates fitted to the back of the block, plus a pair of fore-aft rods running under the engine connecting the rear beam to the back of the cockpit.

The 77-78 had a pair of side-mounted radiators, for 79 they fitted a single low/wide rad at the front; for the 80 this became a shorter/taller rad (and would stay much the same through to 1983). The bodywork varies to suit, although most 79 cars now run with the 80 rad and nose. The panels for the 77 and 78 are identical, with the 1600 having a small tail section which just covers the engine.

Can you transfer the components form a 78 to an 80 frame? Basically, yes. The running gear should be a straight swap, although you would have to use the later style of engine mounting. The forward stays on the roll-hoop will probably interfere with the 78 top section, so you might as well use the 80 bodywork...in which case you should probably use the 80 water system too.

If I can find any good photos to show what I mean, I'll send them through.
    Hope this is of interest.

Best regards,

Simon"
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 23

Car could be a 78 with side radiators, but this article also states the radiator was moved to the front in 1979.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...e-car-buying-5
    Last edited by AlanVDW; 05.18.22 at 9:48 PM.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanVDW View Post
    Car could be a 78 with side radiators. This article states the radiator was moved to the front in 1979.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...e-car-buying-5
    Thanks for the link, lots of Van Diemen history!

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 271

Default 78 VD History

We didnt sell a lot of 78 VDs over here (maybe 10) but they were all side rad inc the two "works" cars that I assembled for Davey and Kuhn at VD. There were a couple of 77s brought over. Quite a few came in to Canada as used cars later as i recall having to deal with the lack of fuel cells in period. when they came south of the border.
    RF79 started off with a failrly wide nose front rad that was slimmed up during the year and developed into the RF80 shape
    Big difference on US cars was the front upright and fop spacer and the 1" different hole pattern in the rear uprights for the slicks. UK cars had a street ball joint on the front top wishbone into the front upright.
    phil

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Follow up

I have somebody in Australia who may be interested in the car - does it have a VD Chassis Plate ???

Thank you everyone for the info. Sorry for being MIA, had a new baby and bought a new house within the past month so it’s been crazy around here!!! I am by no means a FF expert, I don’t know much history about the car, the log book does not reveal much either.

Unfortunately there is no chassis plate on the car that I have been able to find.

Liked: 6

Default RF 74 Had Them Side Mounted as Well

I ran this in the Old CenDiv Regional Series in the Mid 80s and it had side mounts as well with no cooling issues. But I had a "home built" engine as well.

Tuck

[QUOTE=rdracr;640625]I ran this in the Old CenDiv Regional Series in the Mid 80s and it had side mounts as well with no cooling issues. But I had a "home built" engine as well.

[/QU

I'm currently 'crewing' on an RF75 which looks identical to your RF74. It also has a home built engine with no heating issues!
    OTE]

Liked: 26

Sure would like to keep this one here in B.C. But I have the same house costs problem. Plus a Lola Sports racer rebuild. And Keith's old homebuilt as an auto X car, So my plate is full and wallet is empty. Great car , best of luck finding it a { Canadian ? } home.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Sure would like to keep this one here in B.C. But I have the same house costs problem. Plus a Lola Sports racer rebuild. And Keith's old homebuilt as an auto X car, So my plate is full and wallet is empty. Great car , best of luck finding it a { Canadian ? } home.
    Greg, you need to finish one of your projects!!

Liked: 26

Agree 100 % Keith. Wife is determined we are moving to a house that isn't also a long term project. A bunch more money plus a serious undertaking for the move itself. I know what I am doing for the next year or two. Unfortunately none of it involves Mission.

Liked: 3

Default Tallness

I just wanted to reply to the driver who was 6'3" and not too heavy. I am 6'5" tall, was 183 lbs about, with broad shoulders and I fit fine into a '80 VD (I'm older and fatter now), once we took the seat out and moved the pedals down. Size 12 shoes required taking the pedal off on the clutch (which I never used anyway). This car is very tempting to me here in southern Oregon. Hmmmm.

Car has been sold!

Contributing Member

Car has been sold!
    Locally?

Come on, Koops: tell me it was to a local.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information