Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 10

Default P1 compliance for an older CSR

I have a Beasley that was run in CSR for years, and now I would like to enter it as
    a P1. The question for me is why do the rules apparently not permit this because
    the car has 12a power? The power is specified as 13B for P1, and I cannot understand
    why my car would be disallowed with a very similar, if not slightly smaller displacement
    motor, and no injection. I have alot of aero parts that I can use running the car as a P1,
    and so this is the reason I would like to do so. Changing from my 12A to a 13B is not really
    within what I consider to be reasonable, since the car ran for years in CSR.

Regards,
    and Happy New Year!
    Guil

Liked: 83

Default Consider P2

Just a guess but it sounds like this car has not been run in many years, certainly since 2014 when P1 and P2 were created. It is the practice of the FSRAC to remove unused engine options.
    The question is can the 12A and the car be competitive in P1? The engine is listed in P2. Please take a look at current lap times for P1 at tracks near you and at the past couple of Runoffs venues, Road America, VIR and assess if you think the car can achieve 115% of the fast qualifier in P1.
    Perhaps what you have is a reasonable P2 car.
    You can PM me and we can exchange phone number and we can talk about the cars capability.

David Arken
    CRB Liaison to FSRAC

Liked: 272

Agreed, P2 would seem to make a better answer, and cheaper to race, to boot!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 10

My car is actually one of the better early atlantic to CSR conversions, and will run within the 115% now,
    and will only get better as I refine/develop the car and my driving. We are all in the same run group
    as well, so the tenant that there is some kind of drastic difference in performance effecting safety just doesn't hold up.
    Yes, guys driving 016's with MZR power, or guys with the latest WF1 go by me, but they go by everyone.
    At 1400 with the big rear tires, my car is certainly heavy compared to a Stohr, but I believe it to
    be easily within the 115% even on paper. BTW, does anyone have the formula used to calculate performance
    based on simple weight and horsepower factors(2)?

Best,
    Guil

Liked: 350

Quote Originally Posted by gtwiss View Post
    My car is actually one of the better early atlantic to CSR conversions, and will run within the 115% now,
    and will only get better as I refine/develop the car and my driving. We are all in the same run group
    as well, so the tenant that there is some kind of drastic difference in performance effecting safety just doesn't hold up.
    Yes, guys driving 016's with MZR power, or guys with the latest WF1 go by me, but they go by everyone.
    At 1400 with the big rear tires, my car is certainly heavy compared to a Stohr, but I believe it to
    be easily within the 115% even on paper. BTW, does anyone have the formula used to calculate performance
    based on simple weight and horsepower factors(2)?

Best,
    Guil
    I'm just a steward and haven't driven in decades, but it looks like there's an easy button solution here. How soon do you want to get on track? If it's 2022 you might consider sending your request in now, and while you're waiting for the classification, keep the car P2 legal and run this season as P2. When the classification comes in or next winter, apply the whizzy aero bits and run P1 in 2023. You'll then have a season of seat time under your belt.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 83

Default P1 or P2

The SCCA Power Factor for the P1/P2 class is: PF= Weight/((HP peak + Torque Peak)/2). That factor for both classes back in 2014 was based on the P2 stock GSXR 1ltr at 1000lbs, and for P1 the best of breed at the time fully built GSXR 1ltr at 1000lbs. That gave both classes a starting point which has evolved and with the use of the AiM Solo boxes has evolved into using the acceleration from 60 mph to about 100-120mph depending on the track and at a Lateral G component that is insignificant as compared to Longitudinal G’s, yes, it is complicated. Some tracks like Indy and Mid-Ohio have no sectors where good acceleration data can be collected. When considering new engine platforms the PF is still an important part of the initial classification.

I cannot speak publicly for the FSRAC or CRB, however typically a request to have an unclassified engine added will require submission of current engine (not chassis) dyno data, unclassified engines are discussed in both P1 and p2 rule sets.

As always the best advice is to submit a letter to the CRB with the most information possible in a clear and concise request.

In P1 and P2 the chassis performance is not considered in the BoP, Balance of Performance, the car builder/driver is responsible for the choices that determine how well the race car works, brakes, suspension design, shock choices and aero performance are controlled within limits in P2 and in P1 are very open. For example, P2 cannot use carbon brakes or mono-block calipers while in P1 carbon brakes are permitted and calipers are basically unregulated; P2 has many restrictions on aero while P1 is very open and unregulated.

The National Convention kicks off soon and again this year there will be a presentation covering SCCA’s BoP process. Please log into Motorsports Reg and sign up for the convention and then register for the Data presentation; even if you cannot attend the live presentation sign up because what we learned last year is that if you sign up the presentation can be viewed later, if you do not sign up then the presentation is not available to you.

Thread Information