Liked: 4

Default Fit Conversion costs - still expensive?

Has the conversion kit come down in price? Still crazy expensive just for the parts?

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
    Has the conversion kit come down in price? Still crazy expensive just for the parts?
    Over the last 5 years labor, materials, and shipping costs have increased 25 to 200%. Do the math.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The conversion component supply chain is still being reconstructed. The critical parts should start to become available again in the new year, but it won't be feasible for the casual racer for a while yet. It appears the various F1600 Pro series will have some growth and the more serious FF events seem to be holding steady, so the available cars and components are getting premium prices.

I don't see how the FIT powered cars or budgets fit within the criteria of your original thread anyway, so best to leave the Honda route to those consumed with getting on track for the coming season. As suggested by several of us, the CF class seems perfect for you considering your location and budget.
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.30.21 at 5:00 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

I agree with the above. At first glance the fit conversion looks easy. I guess it is not.

Liked: 553

Not sure if this is pertinent, but thought I'd add a reply.

Several years ago I bought a Swift DB3 FF2000. I converted it to Honda Fit and was able to offset some of the cost by selling the 2 ltr engine and front/rear wings.

I think I may have sold the FC wheels for a little more than the FF wheels, but that was probably close to a wash.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

What do just the parts cost? Not including engine.

if you were able to offset the costs, that is a big difference. Thanks again for the replies!

Liked: 71

it will depend on the car (make, chassis) you are putting the engine in. "not including the engine" ...which means everything else.
    Every car out there will require something different relative to installation: adaptors, bodywork, oil pans..it would be tough to speculate without knowing which brand of car you are starting with.

Thanks. Nothing is straight forward. All part of the process.

Liked: 229

I agree with the above. At first glance the fit conversion looks easy. I guess it is not.
    Nothing is really easy in racing. If it was that easy more people would be doing it.

The more time you put in the less daunting it all appears, but bench racing can be a popular pastime.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

I don't know of anyone who came out ahead in converting a car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't seen it. This is especially true if you cannot do all the work yourself. Your best bet is to buy a car that is already converted. Before Honda stopped making parts themselves and supply got temporarily depleted, you could get a converted car anywhere from about $22k for a DB1 or oddball chassis to $27k for a decent 01+ VD. It doesn't make sense to convert a car. A Ford 01+ VD will be at least $20k (ish), and the kit will be at least $13k. You might be able to sell the Ford engine for $6k if it's fresh and you get lucky. Save yourself the time of converting a car and go buy one. The only justification I could see in converting something was if you really enjoyed turning wrenches. Also, I would not be surprised if the new parts were more expensive since they won't be made anywhere near the scale Honda was making them in the beginning.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I don't know of anyone who came out ahead in converting a car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't seen it. .
    I don't know anyone who has completed a car and brought it to a track ever kept the first budget they planned on.

16. The following 6 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    I don't know anyone who has completed a car and brought it to a track ever kept the first budget they planned on.
    Isn't that the most accurate statement in racing?!

(For clarity, I wasn't speaking about a budget. Rather, what is more economical - buying a car done or converting a car.)
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 11.30.21 at 5:43 PM.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default 02 VD conversion

FWIW I did an 02 Van Diemen Zetec FC to Honda FF conversion in 2020. The outright cost of the Honda parts and a proper Fit Tail section were right at $20,000. By the time I sold all of the FC related things I was at $8,500 in the donor chassis. On top of that I had to buy two sets of wheels, do a paint job, acquire spare suspension and gears. These numbers did not included any labor nor did they include my costs to have the motor converted from stock to race parts and prepped by a pro engine builder. Those are hard numbers from one of the last Honda conversion done before the supply chain stopped.

I felt like that was about as cheap as a current competitive car could be built for - luckily I scored a nice chassis for the donor car and it did not need a lot except a fuel cell. If you can buy a good Honda VD today for under $38,000 with spares you better jump on it. You will have more than that in the build unless you can do it all yourself and get a heck of a deal on the donor.

All of that said - I think the class is worthy of the investment due to the stepping stone it provides and the controlled operating costs of the FIT package.

As said - not cheap but I really don't know of any cheap racing anymore - of course I started with $1,000 and a Sprite in 1979.

Glad to share details or help if you jump in.

Jay
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

19. The following 8 users liked this post:

Excellent explanation of cost. Thanks.

Yes too expensive.

Excellent explanation of cost. Thanks.

Yes too expensive.
    OH BOY

If cost is your first concern you not a racer.

As someone pointed out it is closer to heroin addiction if you have it.

I have seen drivers eat dog biscuits, get divorced, ruin relationship with family, go into massive debt and drive their business to near bankruptcy. But they went racing. If you have the illness you just make it happen.

If you are trying to approach racing from a logical point of view stay on the sofa....

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

OH BOY

If cost is your first concern you not a racer.

As someone pointed out it is closer to heroin addiction if you have it.

I have seen drivers eat dog biscuits, get divorced, ruin relationship with family, go into massive debt and drive their business to near bankruptcy. But they went racing. If you have the illness you just make it happen.

If you are trying to approach racing from a logical point of view stay on the sofa....
    Holy elitism Batman! If you're worried about cost - you're not a racer? Yikes. Some people have budgets and finite resources. Pretty sure they can go racing too.

So, you're not a racer unless you put $35k into a car that you could buy for $27k and end up eating dog biscuits and being a dick to your family?

So stay on the couch unless you want to make stupid choices? The OP is just asking about what it costs - many point out that it is cheaper and easier to buy a car over converting one. Pretty simple premise.

A far better way to welcome the OP into the fold is to help him not waste a bunch of money and get dejected by the racing money black hole only to quit in a few years as happens with many people in SCCA.

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Holy elitism Batman! If you're worried about cost - you're not a racer? Yikes. Some people have budgets and finite resources. Pretty sure they can go racing too.

So, you're not a racer unless you put $35k into a car that you could buy for $27k and end up eating dog biscuits and being a dick to your family?

So stay on the couch unless you want to make stupid choices? The OP is just asking about what it costs - many point out that it is cheaper and easier to buy a car over converting one. Pretty simple premise.

A far better way to welcome the OP into the fold is to help him not waste a bunch of money and get dejected by the racing money black hole only to quit in a few years as happens with many people in SCCA.
    It would be all nice if we sang the same song about the campfire but no one would learn anything.

I still stand by my comment IF your PRIMARY concern is cost do something else.

I have a few years of time in, and have seen it too many times. Take accident impound the most common excuse I heard over the years was, I tried to run my tires past there lifespan and they just quit. Is that a racing incident or an accounting error?

The point in mentioning the dog biscuit was people that want to go racing find away, was not advocating that type of behavior just telling you what I have seen.

So if you have two people racing and ones focus in life is to go racing and the other one is focused on cost who is going to win?

Liked: 1112

So if you have two people racing and ones focus in life is to go racing and the other one is focused on cost who is going to win?
    More importantly, who will have more fun?

The CF advice is the best.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information