Liked: 4

Default What would be the smallest trailer? FF or FC

Looking for small trailer ideas. Smaller the better. Folding would be better yet. I have a single car garage.

Thanks for any input!

Liked: 268

Default trailer

While not a trailer, smallest transportation I remember was Pete Lovely's VW flat bed van that he transported his Lotus 49 on.

Liked: 309

Default Folding trailer for open wheel race cars...

Old thread authored by Neil Roberts outlining his design of a "Folding trailer for open wheel race cars"...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

with an open trailer you can get by with one that's the OAL of the car, spare tires on a rack above - but you're going to nbeed room in the tow vehicle or some other crafty storage for tools and fluids.

Enclosed - you could just get by with a 16' box. That puts the nose of an FC up against the toolbox in front. You can gain some space with taking the nose off and putting it on the wall or a reverse bracket on the frame like Freitas does.

Liked: 296

Put some transport wheels on it and drag it around on a towing dolly. You might want to lock into neutral somehow, but there's no reason the drive train wouldn't hold up while being skated around.

https://towbetterdolly.com/galvanize...-surge-brakes/

You won't beat that space wise.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 597

Wrong time of year in Canada for this but an open trailer that is useful to lawn mowing people would of course not be foldable but a small one of that type trailer is maybe what you're looking to obtain.

Liked: 160

I had a customer that towed his USF Vandiemen in a 6 x 12 V nose trailer. It was what he had so he made it work. Paddock wheels and a bit of customizing of the rear door. It was a PITA but it worked for the 5 times he needed it. That trailer actually fits a RF90-92 1600 with a bit of room to spare.

Liked: 113

Steve Beeler has used a 6x12 trailer for his Lola T540 for many years - that is a narrow track car so no transport wheels are required.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Thanks you to all who replied. I did see the folding trailer that Roberts built. My issue is that I have a single car garage, ideally I would want something that would fold up and I could store it against the wall.

Home depot sells small trailers that fold, but I am not sure they would work.

The dolly idea is interesting. Not sure how safe.

Thanks again.

I have found a couple that look like they could be Home Depot project trailers. One is called an IRD, the other I am not sure.

http://markm.zenfolio.com/p501676539/e53b5f4b1

Saw this, but is very expensive.

https://www.fot.ca/default.asp?page=...=xAllInventory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamesjedi; 11.29.21 at 1:00 PM.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

FF and FC cars are built to the same rules for track and wheelbase so little difference, until you consider overhangs, when the wings come into play. The CF cars tend to be much narrower and shorter, which allows a smaller trailer. Keep in mind that if you need "transport" wheels, then you need to find the volume of space required for your mounted race wheels and tires ..... so you are actually increasing required area needed in/on your rig. Along the same line, spare wings take up a lot more space than just a spare nose. And a CF running treaded vintage tires, or Toyo tires, may not require a complete set of mounted rain tires
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.29.21 at 1:38 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

For a one car garage, you cannot do much better than the Neil Roberts design. It folds up to take 75.5" by 34.5" of floor plan space. The fact that you have to drag the front wheels over the top of the trailer wheels is a bit strange, however.
    I once built a single axle trailer for my DSR designed to have the car remain on the trailer while in the garage but had the tongue assembly fold up to shorten the overall storage length. My harebrained hinge design didn't hold up to the constant flexing while actually towing so it soon became fixed.
    Good luck
    M

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

for folding tongue designs look at the demco tow dollies and big boat trailers. A lot of boat trailer tongues are removable for theft protection. Demco's is just to shorten the dolly up for storage. probably the easiest way to do that is to use a big chunk of hitch base material with a telescoping piece inside that's long enough to host two pins.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ies/karkaddyss

Liked: 0

Default FF Compact Trailer

I acquired this custom light-gauge steel trailer with my FF. It fit the car with 10 inch slicks. Small width at 6 feet wide x 13 feet four inches to end of hitch. Has low ramp height using somewhat unconventional 20.5x8x10 tires and the car rolls up and over the fenders to keep width narrow. Ramps store in the center. I used it once to drive across multiple states with no problems and tracked straight. Suppose something like this could be hinged at the center or tongue to fold. M.R.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 162

An alternative might be to have a single axle/open trailer with a detachable tongue and a couple of well-thought-out jacking points. Keep the car on the trailer, gets it off the ground and easier to work on.
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

I had a 7x12' tilt bed utility trailer. I used a pair of 30' x 6" plywood ramps to clear the nose to the end of the bed. I used a hand winch to load the car on back end first. Worked a treat.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

I forgot to say thanks to all who replied. Thanks and Cheers.

Thread Information