Liked: 0

Default Newbie needs help

I recently purchased a Formula Super Vee project locally. I am trying to identify a few parts which need replacing / restoring.

I have 3 brake calipers not mounted on the car,
    they seem to have a part number ATE 269 , ATE 270 , ATE 93. I assume ATE is the manufacturer and they seem to be located across the pond. Can someone please help me with what brake calipers I can use for my Super Vee ? The rotors are drilled but done appear to be slotted. Any direction to a current part number or manufacturer were I can get new calipers ? Can I just walk in to NAPA ?

Second, keeping with the brake system, I also am missing the hydraulics, Master, lines etc. Anyone know of a quality brand and part number and source for these ?

Third, Clutch hydraulic system is missing as well.Need a master, slave, and lines for this as well. Any suppliers ? Anything to stay away from ?

Thanks for the advice ! I know literally nothing about these vehicles and am finding it difficult to find good info online as much of it is conflicting.

Feel free to reach out !

Clay Miller
    San Antonio Texas
    210-834-7037
    Last edited by chmiller1977; 11.15.21 at 11:02 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

first of all, tell us what make, model, and year it is
    air cooled or water cooled?

Liked: 830

And a few pictures of what you DO have would be helpful as well... maybe even some info about how you came about owning the car and WHERE it was when you bought it. It's quite possible that someone here on this forum has seen it before.

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

If your ever up around the Dallas area here is who you want to look up.

Bigger Hammer Racing

Quote Originally Posted by chmiller1977 View Post
    I recently purchased a Formula Super Bee project locally. I am trying to identify a few parts which need replacing / restoring.

I have 3 brake calipers not mounted on the car,
    they seem to have a part number ATE 269 , ATE 270 , ATE 93. I assume ATE is the manufacturer and they seem to be located across the pond. Can someone please help me with what brake calipers I can use for my Super Vee ? The rotors are drilled but done appear to be slotted. Any direction to a current part number or manufacturer were I can get new calipers ? Can I just walk in to NAPA ?

Second, keeping with the brake system, I also am missing the hydraulics, Master, lines etc. Anyone know of a quality brand and part number and source for these ?

Third, Clutch hydraulic system is missing as well.Need a master, slave, and lines for this as well. Any suppliers ? Anything to stay away from ?

Thanks for the advice ! I know literally nothing about these vehicles and am finding it difficult to find good info online as much of it is conflicting.

Feel free to reach out !

Clay Miller
    San Antonio Texas
    210-834-7037

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

What Charlie said!!!

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schmidt View Post
    first of all, tell us what make, model, and year it is air cooled or water cooled?
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    And a few pictures of what you DO have would be helpful as well... maybe even some info about how you came about owning the car and WHERE it was when you bought it. It's quite possible that someone here on this forum has seen it before.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    What Charlie said!!!
    yep
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 0

Default Trying to figure it out

So I am in San Antonio,

Just ran across the car through a random tip in my car club. I believe it was owned and raced by a gentleman named AL HARLEY and owned a shop at one time in the San Antonio area.

I have extremely limited info on the car.

Car has no name / vin / ID plate that I can find whatsoever.

From my research it resembles a Lola T320 , thats as far as I have gotten so far.

As you can see this is an air cooled car , twin Weber 40DCN14 carbs , seems to have some type of dry sump style oiling system, had disc brakes on all 4 corners, only have the 2 front pieces of the body.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Some generalities. AC FSVs were required to run VW TYIII front uprights, rear drive axles, bearings, and brakes. Fronts were usually stock, rears usually required machining the centers out.

Your car appears to have the TY III engine. These were pretty much grenades. The series went to TY IV in '72-ish. Much more rugged an engine than the TY III. Current vintage rules allow a 2L displacement TY IV. Your dry sump pump will transplant into the TY IV. Weber 40 IDFs from redline are the easy button.

Get recent copies of Hot VWs for current suppliers of engine and drivetrain parts.

You have a Hewland MK8 gearbox (flipped over from its usual FF application) with an increasingly rare "monkey motion" rear cover. It's assembled like any other Mk8 but you have to put the ring gear on the other side.

Master cylinders should be girlings. The cars originally ran hard lines but you could use flex line as is currently done. There are probably tabs on the chassis to locate the t's and adapters.

Steve drove a lola back in the day. Charlie and I had Royales.

Get the "To Win" series of books - they will teach you how to assemble a formula car. You should have the a-arms, frame, and uprights inspected by someone knowledgeable.

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information