Liked: 1

Default 1960 VW single cab with FV ties

I just joined this forum group so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
    I recently acquired this 1960 Volkswagen and I'm told it was used to haul a Formula Vee back in the late 70s-early 80s. From the little research I've done I believe it was based in Yakima, WA and owned by a driver named Rodne Deboer. A quick google search came up with the picture of Rodne racing in 1981. I'd love to find more history and vintage photos of the truck and race car. If anyone recognizes the truck or car and has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	100360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	100359  

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Rodne was the man to beat in the Northwest through 1982. Sold the d13 to a John Harris who lived in Renton Wa

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 323

Bob, is that Chris Schoap’s car? He bought one a few years back to run with his daughter.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

no. Chris has one of 4 KWICs. This is a Caldwell d13

Liked: 32

Default Flashback...

Wow ! This is a blast from the past ! I raced my Lynx B - FV with Rodne back in the 1970's. I remember once when I ran my Winkelmann WDF-2 in an SCCA National at Sears Point in the later 1970's, Rodne won FV in his D-13, against a pretty strong field, and his crew sprayed him with champagne in the hot pit lane. For some reason that didn't go over real well with the SFR-SCCA officials... lol.

I don't remember the VW hauler though, sorry, so I have no history on that. Good luck with that ! It looks like a cool project.

Also, I raced Bob Klingler's mustard-colored KWIC FV's a few times, when Jim down in Oregon owned it (black by then). I would love to see one now, did not know Chris had one. I had bought a FV engine from Klingler earlier and it was really KWIC ! ( see what I did there - lol).

Liked: 323

Bob, not that I would ever question you on FV knowledge (but I will ????), if Chris has a KWIC did it have the same triangular windows the Caldwell has? Chris did have 2 Vees (one for him and his daughter). His looked an lot like the car pictured.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

I think he has a Zink C4 as well as the KWIC I think a KWIC has a similar side window

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information