Thread: Tire decision

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Tire decision

I have two sets of OLD tires - one circa Jan 19 and the other Jan 20. Both have approximately the same number of cycles and show about ~70 on the durometer (which I'm convinced is a worthless measure anyway).

I need to mount a new set and so one of these has to go, question is which one? One is AVON 222 compound, the other 007. I really couldn't tell much of a difference.

Here's a couple of pics. I believe the ones on the left are newer, but they show a lot of "blue" which I've always associated with "real done". The ones on the right have kind of a grainy surface texture. Thoughts?

Liked: 597

The thought is when you're having the one set dismounted --- have the other set taken off too. To me, either set are really nothing but wheel protectors at this point.

Liked: 225

Default Tires

Hi Rick

I recently tried to just get some testing time in on a set of ~10 lap old tires (2 cycle) from Jun '19 with a similar durometer. Not testing the car, just some bodywork modifications. I could barely keep the car on the track - or better stated, the only way to keep the car on the track was to be 8 seconds(!) slower than my usual times on that circuit. Neither end worked. All those tires will do is teach you bad habits.

Stan is correct - time to send them to the great racing tire graveyard.

If you are keeping a set to roll the car around on, I'd select the cleanest set to keep. Just to minimize the detritus in the shop.

John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Last edited by old 59; 11.02.21 at 9:06 PM.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Yeah, I was just hoping to pick the "bestest set" for a couple of early morning "dust off the cobwebs" sessions. On closer look, the newer ones are definitely the better ones, and the same compound as my brand new ones.

Thread Information