Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Broken Helmet..........................

All,

Mostly just a public service announcement here......

As you may know, I had a pretty big shunt at the start of the season at Mosport. The car damage was extensive, and the Hans device came into play. It wasn't a direct head-on hit, more of a slight angle but an almost instantaneous stop. I pulled the helmet (Arai, GP3 I think, only 2 seasons old) out of the bag a while back to clean it up for next year (!) and noticed multiple hairline cracks emanating from the mounting points for both the Hans mounts. Once again, a possible future disaster saved by my rather anal-retentive tendencies toward race car/equipment cleanliness..... So, check your helmet carefully after any incident....

Which got me looking at the Hans device. Its gotta be 15 years old minimum, and there have been a few pretty big impacts over the years. I am going to replace it as well, but am totally confused as to "what" model to consider. Back in the day, there were only 2 versions I think: sit-up or laydown.

Curious as to what formula car drivers are using, or avoiding. FWIW, its an RF 91.

cheers,
    BT

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

NexGen...

I believe you need to get them recertified every 5 years.

They replaced all the 'strapping' and checked it over.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

My original looks built to withstand much more than the straps could ever deliver, so I am not sure you need to replace the HANS. The straps can / must be replaced. I am paranoid by trade, but not sure I'd put the money there. You might ask the people at HANS?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    My original looks built to withstand much more than the straps could ever deliver, so I am not sure you need to replace the HANS. The straps can / must be replaced.
    I agree. I can't see the HANS structure having the same stress as the contact points on the helmet shell.

That said, I love my Neckgen, which gives me a lot more flexibility in seating position.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    All,

Mostly just a public service announcement here......

I pulled the helmet (Arai, GP3 I think, only 2 seasons old) out of the bag a while back to clean it up for next year (!) and noticed multiple hairline cracks emanating from the mounting points for both the Hans mounts. Once again, a possible future disaster saved by my rather anal-retentive tendencies toward race car/equipment cleanliness..... So, check your helmet carefully after any incident....

cheers,
    BT
    Good catch. Fiberglass & resin may develop stress cracks when heavily loaded, but as you found, not right away. It can be sped up with gentle heat (hair dryer) to reveal the cracks sooner.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

Send it back to HANS for their inspection and possible recertification....they can replace the straps....and maybe the strap accessory pieces too

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Thx guys

Never thought of recertification.

cheers,
    BT

Liked: 830

BTW... the GCR does NOT require recert for a HANS .. under any specified circumstances. And no mention is made of the tether either.. However, I was looking at MY tether and I think it's about due.

The GCR does, however, say that "any crash damaged HELMET" should be returned to the mfr for inspection after any crash.. "should", but not "REQUIRED" or "MUST".

I just happened to be looking at that section yesterday...

Steve, FV80
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 10.29.21 at 8:53 AM.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 208

For what it's worth...SVRA requires re-certification on HANS devices. I believe it is every five years. I got stopped during tech a couple years ago and had to borrow a friend's device in order to race.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 138

I'm not sure about SVRA rule but my HANS is the older adjustable with SFI sticker so it needs recert every 5 years.

But apparently the FIA stickered ones do not require it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thread Information