Thread: Exhaust wrap

Liked: 5

Default Exhaust wrap

On servicing the car [F5] I noticed the exhaust wrap is, hardening, getting brittle, flaky and sharp with pieces falling off.
    Is this normal? Did I buy cheap wrap? [ didn't buy the cheapest ].
    Any information or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 2

Totally normal for aging exhaust wrap...
    But No matter the brand, (cheap or expensive) if the wrap is loose or air gaps exist that will increase heat cycling on the wrap causing the issues you have listed.

I found the best way to avoid those problems, is when initially applying the wrap is to first soak in water for a few minutes.
    Wet fibers will stretch and lay nice on tight curves of the tubing and not bulge up, or create a gap when overlaid on itself in those areas.

When the wrap dries it than the fibers shrinks adhering tighter on the exhaust system, reducing air gaps between the wrap and the tubing.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by JD2244 View Post
    I found the best way to avoid those problems, is when initially applying the wrap is to first soak in water for a few minutes. Wet fibers will stretch and lay nice on tight curves of the tubing and not bulge up, or create a gap when overlaid on itself in those areas.

When the wrap dries it than the fibers shrinks adhering tighter on the exhaust system, reducing air gaps between the wrap and the tubing.
    Good stuff here.
    V/r

Iverson

5. The following members LIKED this post:

I actually read and followed the directions, [rare occasion] soaking it and wrapping it tight. Even painted it with the recommended paint [DEI]. Stainless tywraps. Over time it loosened and is falling apart. My first experience and I thought it would last longer. Vibration? Time to redo it I guess. Wonder if a heat shield type cloth would be as efficient?
    Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 1875

If your headers are mild steel tubing, the last thing you want to do is wrap them - the heat blows all of the carbon out of them and the tube will start flaking away. Wrapping is safe only on stainless steel tubing.

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by Vulnavia View Post
    I actually read and followed the directions, [rare occasion] soaking it and wrapping it tight. Even painted it with the recommended paint [DEI]. Stainless tywraps. Over time it loosened and is falling apart. My first experience and I thought it would last longer. Vibration? Time to redo it I guess. Wonder if a heat shield type cloth would be as efficient?
    Thanks,
    Will
    In my experience, wrap was only good for a few races. When I use it, I plan on redoing it halfway through the season. Regardless of how well it’s applied or installed, no matter the brand, it’s just not a permanent thing. As far as heat shield cloth being as efficient; it depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Wrap does a very good job of keeping the temps down in the engine bay if the headers are all tucked inside. If you’re trying to keep heat off one specific area like shocks, coolers, plumbing, etc, a properly built heat shield (air gaps are your friend) is probably more up to the task than header wrap.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1398

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    If your headers are mild steel tubing, the last thing you want to do is wrap them - the heat blows all of the carbon out of them and the tube will start flaking away. Wrapping is safe only on stainless steel tubing.
    Take Richards advise seriously. When I was building headers, I loved it when my customers would wrap the headers because I knew that I would sell a new header fairly soon.

I recommend that you build a box around the header and have a source of air going in and a way for the hot air to get out of the box. This will provide more heat isolation protection in the engine compartment and over time it will be a lot less expensive. The longer you run the engine, the more heat the wrap soaks up and eventually it will be close to the same temperature as the header itself.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 601

The best way to deal with wrap is get a new header and then send it to Jet-Hot to get it coated.....and you will never be bothered by wrap problems again.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I will remove the wrap and look into a coating.

Will

Liked: 601

Many many shops can do a "high temp" coating...........nope...........there must be a reason why, if you search it here, lots of fellow racers recommend Jet-Hot.

Liked: 227

Delete
    Last edited by cory mcleod; 10.26.21 at 9:16 AM.

I failed to mention, it's MC powered.

Will

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by Vulnavia View Post
    I failed to mention, it's MC powered.

Will
    Ha! Looks like I'm the one that misunderstood. I will delete my previous post.

Liked: 3290

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    The best way to deal with wrap is get a new header and then send it to Jet-Hot to get it coated.....and you will never be bothered by wrap problems again.
    Jet-Hot can coat used headers if they are in good shape. I had that done with their Jet-Hot 2000 coating (now called ultra extreme 2500) on the downpipe (pre-cat substitute) on my '93 RX7.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Found a local place to ceramic coat them. I asked the owner if the coating is "tough" and he said you need to be care full because it scratches easily. Turns out it was a ceramic paint. Just got them back from Jet Hot, they look great!

Thanks,
    Will

Thread Information