Thread: P2 at Runoffs

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default P2 at Runoffs

I see that Dick Colburn finished 5th at this years RunOffs in an Astech. Is this his very old car or something new? If his old car, he should be congratulated on being first in the vintage sub-class.
    Anyone have pictures?
    M

Liked: 190

Marty,

Same car, ran it under a different name
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 1108

If it’s what you’re picturing Marty, Dick ran the same chassis as did Richard Shirey in the ‘70s. For lack of a better description, those cars looked like very short and narrow versions of the first Lola S2 cars, tiny cars like no other in D/SR.

”Astech” doesn’t seem like the right spelling for some reason, but I can’t recall exactly... “Aztech?”

I believe Michael Reupert’s D/SR was a former “Astech” but am not 100%.

If the car Dick Colburn runs now is that ‘70s car, I’d be surprised. The current car is *much* longer in appearance and wheelbase, with aero-conscious bodywork modeled somewhat after the mid-‘70s Ocelets (like Kendall Noah’s) that were waaaay ahead of their time.

According to this, the car I believe is Dick’s current car has been called a NosTendo for at least a decade:
    https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/richard-w-colburn/

Furthering the mystery, one year showing the NosTendo name includes “Reupert” in the listing. So is the current car a longer and massively-updated version built on an “Astech” after all?

Liked: 190

Colburn = NosTendo
    Rupert = Stohr
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

The link I posted had a reference to “NosTendo (Reupert)” from the 2009 Runoffs. It didn’t say if that referred to a former owner, or builder, or engine, or whatever.

Michael won D/SR in I think 1990, in a car somewhat resembling the “‘70’s Astech” I mentioned.

The question is whether Colburn’s car listed as an Astech this year is the same car he ran into the ‘80s — like Shirey’s Astech that I think got a 2nd in ‘75 — and I don’t think it is.
    Last edited by E1pix; 10.04.21 at 5:37 PM.

Liked: 702

If I'm not mistaken, Reupert's '90s DSR was a converted Lola 540 with his Arctic Cat-based 2 stroke.
    For several years starting around 2012 or 2013, I believe he was driving Colburn's previous NosTendo while Dick debuted a new version (NosTendo 2). I think they are both clean-sheet designs and much more modern than Dick's old Astech or Hentech he ran in the 90s. Jay Novak and Mike Devins may have had a hand in the design and construction. I'm pretty sure this is the car Dick ran this year.
    The NosTendo/Reupert reference may be referring to the engine as I seem to recall Dick was still running a 2-stroke at that time and it might have been developed by Mike R.

Reupert is now driving a Stohr WF1.

Or I may be completely out in left field.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the details, Mike, left field’s where the action is. :-)

I just looked at the SCCA Media Guide, and sure enough, Reupert won in ‘90 in a car listed as “Lola-AMW.” I shouldn’t have brought him up for that muddying the puddle a bit.

Sounds like you do recall the ‘70s Astech, one trick little car that outhandled everything else by miles. Shirey in Turn 3 at Atlanta was incredible, and really in every turn. He ran pro F5000 the next year, and nearly won FF in ‘75 also, so was a little quicker than Dick in his similar Astech.

I only brought up the ‘70s car for the opening post mentioning “way long ago” or similar, and I go way back so I did.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

If my memory doesn't fail me; a bit of history on the NosTendo (Rupert). Dick did indeed commission Jay Novak to design the chassis. I believe it was originally intended to accommodate the Rupert flat four two stroke cycle (Artic Cat cylinders and heads with Rupert's own very nicely designed and fabricated crankcase and crank). Later the design was converted to a NosTendo (Suzuki). I think Mike entered some (many?) races with the original two stroke configuration after the second, bike motored chassis was completed for Dick.
    The only two things that I am curious of are:
    - Would the original Astech spec line car still be competitive in P2?
    - And, what is the NosTendo reference about anyway?
    Marty
    BTW, Mike Rupert is one of the nicest DSR guys I ever met when I was entering the class.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

Why the Internet can be fun on occasion:

Colburn's Astech with an Ocelot decal doesn't look like his NosTendo:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Aste...thPlace-X3.jpg

Reupert's Lola DSR for sale again, sadly converted to a four stroke engine several years ago: https://www.racingjunk.com/sports-ra...rts-racer.html
    -----------------------
    Carbir DS3 FB #09

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

These guys and their cars are why I designed my “Kokopelli” DSR back in the’90s. Seemed as much about innovation as anything else. Trying to make speed without breaking the bank and trying anything that seemed like it might work. Hundreds or thousands of hours in the shop….. All just racing junk now….

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wagner View Post
    Colburn's Astech with an Ocelot decal doesn't look like his NosTendo:https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Aste...thPlace-X3.jpg
    Well Done, *this* is the Astech I’ve been yammering on about!

I think it debuted in 1975; one driven by Colburn and the other by Richard Shirey. And Yes, a little further research shows the spelling at top was indeed correct as “Astech.”

The Reupert car you linked is definitely not the car I mentioned as possibly being an Astech. The year surpasses memory but think it was late-‘70s to mid-‘80s, and that it was dark red. But at this point, I’m unclear enough about Reupert to question whether he ever ran an Astech.

Thanks for finding a photo of that great little Astech: I suppose the Ocelet decal was sported as they built motors as well as chassis, whereas I think Shirey’s Astech used a street-based motor, possibly a Fiat 850.
    Last edited by E1pix; 10.05.21 at 12:15 AM.

Thread Information