Liked: 10

Default AVON autocross/hillclimb FF tires for 2022?

I run hillclimbs, time trials and the occasional autocross with my Caldwell D9 Formula Ford. Many of my friends now use the soft hillclimb Avon tires that are so popular in the UK and Europe. I have looked into trying a set on my Formula Ford but there isn't a viable rear tire that will work with the 5.5 inch wide rear wheels we are required to use. So I contacted Roger Kraus the west coast Avon dealer because I heard he had Avon build some special cantilever rear Formula Ford tires in the past in a soft autocross compound. He got back with me yesterday and said he is meeting with Avon engineers this week to discuss his needs and said if I could find 15 folks who would consider buying a set of these tires for autocross or hillclimb, he would have them build the minimum twenty sets they require. Now Avons will cost more than Hoosier R25Bs by about 20% depending on exchange rates and what I see from my friends who use them on the hills. Anyway, I will try a set if they are built but he needs at least 14 more customers. Who's interested? You can contact me at ffhillclimber48@gmail.com or call Roger directly at 510-582-5031.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 183

I have used Avon before. I ran a 7/20.0-13 front and a 7.6/22.0-13 rear. I got them in an A53 compound from Roger Kraus.

So how do they compare to the Hoosiers? The Avons reach temp and pressures after one run on a normal day. Cold days? Maybe 1.5-2 runs to reach operating temps and pressures. I was very impressed with how well and consistently the tires "turn on". You can run slightly softer pressures on the Avons. These tires did not pick up that much rubber from the course. Grip was very predictable with the tire giving you good audible feedback when you start reaching the limits of grip. the tire heat cycles well, and as you wear through them, you do not get that performance drop off the cliff like you do with hoosiers.

I talk with a fellow racer here and as the average temps rise he has been seeing better performance out of a R60 hoosier in hot weather than a R25. The R20 performance and longevity remain to be seen in that weather.

I'll probably get anther set because I have all the setup data for the Avons, and it's been a while since I ran hoosiers

I will let Roger know that I am interested.

Thread Information