Liked: 375

Default FC Runoffs - 35th Anniversary

Just a few more weeks until lights out and away we go, and we have 33 entries for the Runoffs. 33. At Indianapolis. This couldn't have worked out any more perfectly.

It feels a little surreal. I remember listening to one of the ad hoc calls back in the early days of 2020 while we were all cooped up and not racing when someone came up with the idea for the 35th anniversary. I wish I could say it was me but it was most likely one of the champs on the call, not the chump.

We may fall just short of our initial goal, but you know what they say: Aim for the moon and if you fail you still end up with 33 entries. Besides, it's something like a 1,462% increase over the previous decade's average (Defer can check my math).

One look at the entry list and the first thing you'll notice is the field is STACKED. By my count, there will be 8 National Champions on the grid with a combined 17 Runoffs gold medals between them. And a few others that should have a gold but don't, yet. I used to think it was comical when NASCAR drivers bragged about a top-15 finish. Now, I get it.

The Runoffs has its haters but let's be honest, there is nothing quite like it (very similar to the Indy 500). You commit and work all year for this one day. You sacrifice so much in the hope that the stars align and the racing gods smile down on you. But fate can be a fickle mistress sometimes (case in point: VIR 2019).

It's a tough week. One session a day is not ideal. And we all better be prepared for traffic on every lap of every qualifying (which come to think of it, is probably my best shot of being on pole!). If you know that going in it will make the event that much better for you.

But this race at this track - regardless of your feelings of the layout - is something special. The speedway IS motorsports in this country, full stop. The life-changing moments those grandstands have witnessed, the innovation, the heartbreak, the lives risked and lost. If you aren't humbled when you step foot onto these hallowed grounds, read more history.

They say you don't win the Indy 500, but that the track picks its winner. I think the Runoffs are exactly the same. All the blood, sweat, and tears comes down to this.

I wonder who she'll pick this year.

And because I don't already have enough things to do, I also decided to put together this map of where each of us will be paddocked throughout the week. I want it to be as accurate as possible so if things change just reach out and let me know.

On a separate note, Runoffs drivers should be on the lookout for an email from me early next week. We're working on some other things that I want to keep you updated on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CScharnow; 09.10.21 at 8:25 PM.

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Who will win? (Apexspeed Edition)

I don't envy the guy who writes the SportsCar article. It's hard enough to keep track of one class, let alone multiple. Hell, I've been watching all year and have no idea who will bring home the gold.

Think about it, what kind of podium would you pick? Do you go with the recent champs like Allaer, LaRue, and Minor? Or with the youth movement of Sikes, N. Allaer, and Walko? And what about Armington, Varacins, and Tomasi?

It's too close to call. So let's highlight some of the field.

Sikes: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you guys will) but I think Simon has finished on the podium at the last 3 USF2000 weekends. Add in the chassis he'll be driving next weekend and it's hard to bet against the Georgia boy.

Allaer(s): I have to be careful here because I still want to get invited to go karting with Rocket Rob. But, Nolan (or Snacks, as they call him under the LTD tent) has been blindingly quick in his first year of Majors competition. He has one of the best drivers in the paddock coaching him but I get the feeling pops hasn't taught him all his tricks quite yet.

LaRue: The track is in The Godfather's backyard, and he did beat Sikes at the Sprints this year. He drives one of the best developed chassis on the grid and has got up to speed quickly on the new tires. I don't want to end up with a horse head in my hotel room, so, moving on..

Armington: The West Coast Wonder is back for redemption after starting 2nd last year and leading the first half of the race before running into problems. He has Magic Man Dan Campbell in his corner who is quite the formidable force.

Walko: Has dominated all year in the pro series, although the depth of those fields isn't what it once was. But there's no denying his talent and it will be interesting to see where he slots in with the Majors and Runoffs crowd (my guess is towards the pointy end).

Minor: 2X Pro Series Champ and VIR Runoffs Gold Medalist is back after taking a year off. Unfortunately for the rest of us that time away didn't slow him down any.

Varacins: Anyone else feel like every time the 7X FV champ gets another weekend in his FC it's only a matter of time before he's standing on the top step at the Runoffs? This will be the least amount of races he's done in a season in 19 years, but I doubt that matters much.

Tomasi: 2X National Champion, former Team Green Young Driver Academy winner, and championship winning soccer dad. Is there anything this guy doesn't do?

We also have Fauza and Kiriluk in those LTD rocket ships, West in that beautiful DFR prepped car, Defer repping the James Lee stable, pro series regular Everard, National Champions Payne and Shaffer, Midwest front-runner Lesueur, the legendary Bill Johnson, Chuck (this will be my 19th Runoffs) Moran, and the new zetec-killing pinto of Cordova.

Babkirk and Coffin coming all the way from the Pac NW, Marino and Greenhill from Cali, Rocco and McCarthy from the NE, Weld from FL, Harley-Davidson designer Hutchison, Tollefsen, Burkard, Jasper.

This field is DEEP. And if you've been around racing for more than 5 minutes, you know anything can happen.

Some people dislike the Runoffs because of that aspect, but I absolutely love it. This event is so much more than just one race. It is all the sacrifice, effort, and hard work we put in just to get to this point. And then once the green flag drops, it's anyone's ball game.

Try putting that into a one column article in SportsCar.

Test Days Wrap Up:

After three days of black flags, red flags, and no more than a few green laps in a row, a plea from the drivers to split the Vees out of our group finally yielded us an entire green flag session to wrap up testing. And after all that chaos, a pecking order is emerging.

No surprise the Citations of Sikes, LaRue and Minor are fast. But the old VD’s still have some fight in them yet, as Walko and the A-team Allaer boys are right there with them.

Tomorrow the real fun starts. No more guessing where everyone really is, no more wondering who’s hiding what. It’s time to for everyone to pull down your pants and show us what ya got.

We haven’t all been on the track together yet, but from what I can tell qualifying is going to be crazy tight. Easily the most competitive field I’ve ever been a part of.

Lots of interesting stories to touch on this week. Be it Chas Shaffer having FedEx lose his gearbox last week and needing to borrow one, or Glenn Cordova just getting back from two weeks at Goodwood. But we’ll get to those. In the meantime, let’s just revel in the fact that we’re all about to go wheel to wheel with 33 of our friends at none other than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

It’s going to be a hell of a week.

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

As one of the 7 FC drivers "Qualified" but not there I wish everyone a safe and rewarding week.
    Good luck!

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Qualifying Wrap Up:

The field is set, the cars are getting their finishing touches, and now it looks like it will rain tomorrow. Just perfect.

Whoever picked the youth movement to sweep the front three starting spots was spot on. Sikes had been the class of the field all week, until the wily Walko threw a set of stickers on for yesterday’s quali, set a blinder and parked it. Nolan is right there with them in third.

Then we have Minor, Everard, LaRue, Allaer, Tomasi, Varacins and Armington to round out the top 10. Anyone inside there can win this thing. And if (or when?) the rain comes, all bets are off.

It’s been an epic week so far. The field is crazy tight and there will be great battles throughout.

It’s absolutely awesome to see so many FC cars rolling out on track together at this cathedral of speed. No matter what happens tomorrow, it’s guaranteed to be one for the history books.

I can’t wait.

10. The following 8 users liked this post:

With them Indiana boys on an Indiana night.

Liked: 597

A thing of beauty. Thanks Chris for making the year long project a success.

13. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default Wow

WOW to say the least. What a sight!!!!

Just wish I could be there

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

Congrats to Simon, Rice Race and Quicksilver!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

It indeed was a very clean race with only a few local yellows, and no FCYs. But that was one of the worst starts I've ever seen. I was in the 26th position and there were at least 10 of us that weren't even in sight of the front straight and still in single file when they called the green. It seems to me that with 31 starters and that long of a distance to start finish everyone could have been on the front straight and in rows of two. I'm assuming that the pace was too fast and that's why it happened.

18. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default We herded cats!

I realize people are still arriving home after so long away, but we just had a 30+ car field of FC race cars racing at Indy on spec tires! Spec tires and 30+ cars! That is like herding cats ...... twice!

Thank you to all those in the FC community who worked so hard to make this all happen. Chris and John were leaders in this process and deserve special thanks, as do all those he travelled from the west coast.

Perhaps we could just post pics, videos, and tell Runoff stories for a few weeks ....... before we start the next cat-herding process.
    Last edited by problemchild; 10.04.21 at 4:58 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

20. The following 4 users liked this post:

Story:

Reece Everard and Rick Payne started the race on rain tires. It was a gamble, but it looked like "the winning move" as it darkened and drizzled at the 3 minute warning. My phone said full rain in 7 minutes. I had strong feelings that Reece had the magic ticket and considered making the move on our outside pole car. Amazingly, it never rained for about 70 minutes. Rick and Reece got lapped by the 1/3rd mark of the race.
    Last edited by problemchild; 10.04.21 at 5:11 PM.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Story:

BTW .... My stories have a narrow scope as I never left my paddock space except for the grid and the bathroom. We had a 59 year old and 23 year old as the only full-time crew for 4 cars. It was gruelling!

Rick Payne arrived with all new whizzy uprights on his VD. Unfortunately, they kept breaking apart every time he touched anything more than a painted line, and by Thursday, Rick decided he needed to replace them all. Volunteers emerged with parts and expertise, and spent all day Friday rebuilding Rick's car with replacement uprights. It seems that a BBQ will suffice for heating uprights enough to replace wheel bearings. I was busy with my own dramas, but had regular visitors to use my vise and big tools.

All those FC community people who helped out deserve a round of clap!

Now if it had only rained, perhaps this story would have a better ending

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

Rick Payne arrived with all new whizzy uprights on his VD. Unfortunately, they kept breaking apart every time he touched anything more than a painted line,
    I sure hope someone asks the question...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 309

Default Penalty applied...

Via official results "Car 91 - Moved to last position per Race Director - GCR 9.1.1.B.16.j"...
    Q: Does this decode to an incorrect ECU map?
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

Lynn Greenhill started on rains as well. James Lee and I considered it, but looking at our phones we calculated the rain wouldn't start until 20 minutes into the race so we stayed on slicks.
    I just noticed Walko was moved to 30th myself. What's up with that?

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Via official results "Car 91 - Moved to last position per Race Director - GCR 9.1.1.B.16.j"...
    Q: Does this decode to an incorrect ECU map?
    Or the wrong restrictor plate...
    FRP allows a slightly larger hole size for the Pectel T2 ECU.

Quote the FRP 2021 tech regs:
    The required Intake Air Restrictor on all Zetec motors with a Pectel T2 ECU is, either the Quicksilver
    Race Engines Part#1340; or the Elite Engines Part #1375 (Opening 1375).

Edit: QS posted in another thread that the disq. was downloading of the wrong map on Friday, totally unintentional and no HP advantage.
    Last edited by DaveW; 10.05.21 at 4:20 PM. Reason: added last sentence
    Dave Weitzenhof

29. The following members LIKED this post:

I must admit that my pre-event negative Indy outlook has mellowed considerably. Being with people who wanted to be there, reduced field sizes, and sub 100F degree temperatures, made the event much better than 2017.

http://www.riceraceprep.com/2021/10/...-championship/

31. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I sure hope someone asks the question...
    Do you mean the question:

"Who designed built and sold the uprights?"

Runoffs Recap:

What a week. What an event. What a race. I may be biased, but I think it lived up to the hype.

Once we got passed the test days with the FVs (some of whom drive like watching a bat fly, you had no idea which direction they were going to go next) we had a full week of clean driving, green flag qualifying laps, and an entire race in damp conditions without a full course caution.

We had a great turnout for the group photo and good times at the after party. And by some miracle, a bunch of racers got together for a meeting on the future of the class and for the most part we agreed on things and no one yelled at each other. Progress.

Race day itself was a lesson in anticipation. We all knew rain was on the way, and it started coming down by late morning. Then it stopped. Then it started again. Then it rained harder. Then it stopped again.

A couple hours before the race it took a break and a dry line began to form. The radar showed a big system was still on its way, and after hours of debating, we all finally came to the conclusion it was most surely going to hit during the race.

Four brave souls took a huge gamble and went to the grid on rain tires, while the rest of us went with slicks. Reece was the highest starter on rains in P5. It’s easy to say now that was a mistake, but if it had rained as hard as we all thought it was going to, I think we’d be talking about Reece Everard as national champ.

But the racing gods are fickle, and even though it started coming down on the pace lap, it never rained hard enough to require a change in strategy.

I won’t go into the details of the race itself, because those who watched the coverage probably know more about what happened than some guy who started midfield and then had to pit with a loose coil wire and went two laps down.

Huge congrats to Simon Sikes. That kid is the real deal. Trent was right there with him and even though he lost the position he can be proud of how he drove last week.

From the footage I did see, I think the duel of the race goes to Tim and Nolan. The ex pro series champ and former gold medalist going wheel to wheel with one of the young guns who is the future of this class. Those two raced hard and fair, it was absolutely awesome to see that kind of competition in FC again.

As a matter of fact, the racing throughout the field was the best I’d ever seen. It didn’t matter where you were, we each had a group of cars to battle with. Which is basically exactly what we all want.

I want to say a big thanks to everyone who made it a priority this year to make it. We put out a pretty ridiculous goal last year and I’m beyond proud to see what we accomplished.

At the same time, this is only the beginning. There will be details released shortly from our meeting about a handful of marquee events next year that we’re all planning on attending in preparation for VIR.

So get those cars ready. Or, go buy one before prices start going up like the housing market. FC is still a relatively well kept secret, but if I have my way, that won’t last long.
    Last edited by CScharnow; 10.05.21 at 1:25 PM.

34. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Do you mean the question:

"Who designed built and sold the uprights?"

That's the one.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 30

Default Pinto powered cars

Any info on the Pinto cars?

Liked: 323

Quote Originally Posted by RacerDave51 View Post
    Any info on the Pinto cars?
    I am pretty sure that Dane Babkirk's car was a Pinto. Here is link to the results. Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about Dane's car or if there were other Pinto's

https://racehero.io/events/2021-nati...lts/1073744619

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    I am pretty sure that Dane Babkirk's car was a Pinto. Here is link to the results. Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about Dane's car or if there were other Pinto's

I believe that Glenn Cordova was Pinto powered.
    Last edited by problemchild; 10.05.21 at 1:39 PM.

Liked: 601

Default FC Runoffs

I believe that Glenn Cordova was Pinto powered..
    I was told by someone who looked for any Pinto's, that the intake scoop was on the wrong side to be a Pinto.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 442

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post

Dane's car is a Pinto.

Glenn had just returned from Goodwood and didn’t have enough time to get his pinto prepped, so he brought his Zetec instead. But, Dane did bring his pinto (which is my old car!) and was the only one in the field. It looked great, although the front wing was a little askew after the race. Maybe someone can fill us in on what happened.

Last edited by CScharnow; 10.06.21 at 12:05 PM. Reason: emphasis added

Liked: 30

What about Alex T, was he running a Pinto?

...nope he was zetec.
    Last edited by RacerDave51; 10.08.21 at 8:19 AM.

If I'm being honest, I had low expectations for actually pulling off the group photo. But, the stars aligned and it worked out better than I imagined. Thank you again to everyone. I'll have a link to all the pics posted soon.

Here's a few pics from the after party. We have such a great group of people in this class.

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Tire Report.

I am cleaning up paperwork, as I prepare to move on to our next event in a week. I can share some observations about the tires.

We never found any noticeable fall off in the tires, but clearly, in any analysis, it was clear that in most sessions, most drivers went fastest in the first 4 or 5 laps. Certainly, in our case, we were getting into lapped traffic after 4 laps in qualifying, so it was difficult to make absolute conclusions. Our Lap 4 time in Q3 was slightly slower (15/100) than our Lap 3 time in Q1.

In the race, starting on stickers, with some drizzle, and 40 lbs of extra fuel, Simon's first lap was a 1:39.497. His next 3 were 1:36.980, 1:37.060, and 1:37.314. As he started lapping cars, he was in the 38s and 39s, but with 6 more 37s, including the last 3 laps of the race. All his laps were under 1:40.

While we would probably flip the tires on the wheels at some point, I see no reason we could not use our 8 Runoff tires for another several weekends of competitive racing.

We still have the same shocks, springs, and bars, on the car as when the shocks were revalved in June of 2019, when running the previous generation of spec radial.. Settings are within several clicks. We adjusted cambers and ride heights for the tires. The only mechanical changes were to axles and tripod housings to allow for less rear camber. We did have some expense to repair the transmission because we did a poor job on the axle rework, and threw an axle (damaging the side bearing). That was completely self-inflicted.

Cheers!

46. The following 5 users liked this post:

One last, but certainly not least, very special thanks to the legend himself: THE Purple Frog. I'm not sure there is anyone out there who has been a more vocal supporter of FC over the last two decades. I can honestly say he is a big reason why I race FC today.

On top of that, he spent countless hours over the last year writing up stories to help promote the 35th for purely unselfish reasons. He had no skin in the game other than wanting to see us do well. I occasionally write race reports, he wrote an entire dissertation every damn week for about a year until sometime early summer (when he stopped answering my calls).

I attribute a very big portion of this event's success to him. Thank you, Mike. You're a legend.

He was missed by many at Indy due to a family emergency. But that means he'll just have to show up to a race track sometime to collect his payment of Captain Morgan. It's being held ransom until then.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by CScharnow View Post
    One last, but certainly not least, very special thanks to the legend himself: THE Purple Frog. I'm not sure there is anyone out there who has been a more vocal supporter of FC over the last two decades. I can honestly say he is a big reason why I race FC today.

On top of that, he spent countless hours over the last year writing up stories to help promote the 35th for purely unselfish reasons. He had no skin in the game other than wanting to see us do well. I occasionally write race reports, he wrote an entire dissertation every damn week for about a year until sometime early summer (when he stopped answering my calls).
    Miss those posts already. Maybe it could be a monthly special?

Liked: 3787

Really wanted to be at Indy. Stuff happens and family comes first. Losing a wonderful son-in-law way too soon altered all our plans.

As for VIR... What can I say, one of my all time favorite tracks. I had to hold back doing promo work for VIR until Indy was past. Now we are off to the races. I'll be cheering for another stellar field in FC at VIR. We will have to see how busy my Wednesday evening are...

50. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Really wanted to be at Indy. Stuff happens and family comes first. Losing a wonderful son-in-law way too soon altered all our plans.

As for VIR... What can I say, one of my all time favorite tracks. I had to hold back doing promo work for VIR until Indy was past. Now we are off to the races. I'll be cheering for another stellar field in FC at VIR. We will have to see how busy my Wednesday evening are...
    Very sorry for the loss to you and your family, especially the daughter who has lost her husband. Condolences to all.

52. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1432

Sorry my friend. I hope you and your family are doing as best as can be expected.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

So very sorry for you and your family.

I can really empathize, because I lost my younger brother in early June. (It still hurts so much when I type that).

55. The following members LIKED this post:

Tire Report.

I am cleaning up paperwork, as I prepare to move on to our next event in a week. I can share some observations about the tires.

We never found any noticeable fall off in the tires, but clearly, in any analysis, it was clear that in most sessions, most drivers went fastest in the first 4 or 5 laps. Certainly, in our case, we were getting into lapped traffic after 4 laps in qualifying, so it was difficult to make absolute conclusions. Our Lap 4 time in Q3 was slightly slower (15/100) than our Lap 3 time in Q1.

In the race, starting on stickers, with some drizzle, and 40 lbs of extra fuel, Simon's first lap was a 1:39.497. His next 3 were 1:36.980, 1:37.060, and 1:37.314. As he started lapping cars, he was in the 38s and 39s, but with 6 more 37s, including the last 3 laps of the race. All his laps were under 1:40.

Our starting pressures were:
    LF 13.6
    RF 13.7
    LR 14.8
    RR 15.0
    Not sure where they ended up but the performance seemed consistent throughout.

Liked: 13

Default Chris, Here's the sored details

Sorry for the late reply, The damage came from me running into the back of Rocco while exiting turn 12 (I'm sure he was thrilled) both Tomasi and McArthey (SP?) came to a stop I assume for mechanical reasons.

Thread Information