Thread: Oil Tank

Liked: 208

Default Oil Tank

Thinking of replacing the oil tank mounted on the rear of my Alexis MK14 with a front mounted type such as the one shown below.

Any ideas on where to find such a tank? Or, should I fabricate one?

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 1397

You are looking at a custom built tank.

As I remember, my Titan Mk6 Had a front mounted oil tank. The car was built with the lower frame rails used for the oil system and the upper frame rails were used for the water system,. Front mounted oil tanks can be a real problem to get oil pressure up when you first start the engine. I spent a lot of time turning the engine over with the plugs removed to bring up oil pressure. My advise is to forget the front mounted tank.

Thanks for the advice. The car has available frame rails for the oil tank. But, given your experience with oil PSI it will cause me to re-think it.

Thank you.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 601

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post

As I remember, my Titan Mk6 Had a front mounted oil tank. The car was built with the lower frame rails used for the oil system and the upper frame rails were used for the water system,. Front mounted oil tanks can be a real problem to get oil pressure up when you first start the engine. I spent a lot of time turning the engine over with the plugs removed to bring up oil pressure. My advise is to forget the front mounted tank.
    I had a Titan Mk6 when I first started (A copy of the Brabham BT-18, 21, etc.). Getting that first oil pressure on a new motor was an ordeal. But it did help move some weight forward, which seems like a good direction to go these days.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

I'd second the idea to forget about it. As the owner of a Russell-Alexis and a Titan Mk-6 (Both converted to rear oil tanks), unless you are hell bent on originality, stay with a rear tank. Getting oil pressure is one big issue. Also a quality oil tank (e.g. Peterson) far exceed the "original" upfront tanks in terms of dependable pickup, control of aeration issues, and ease of clean if need be.

The highest and best use of the up front tanks is an air splitter for better air flow and cooling. Leave them in place for that purpose.

Liked: 482

A friends Lotus had a small oil leak at the front. His feet STILL slip up there even after endless cleaning and recleaning. I'd avoid as well...

Liked: 942

I have a spare front mounted tank, 5 similar to the one in the photo, but it's 5 sided. PM me and I can email you photos.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1432

The one in the photo looks like it came off a GT or prod car, just cut in half and a flat side welded on. A lot of companies make those that you can cut in half and have the required bungs welded on, if you want to go that route.

Liked: 3279

Something to think about - if you have a front impact and smash the front tank, there will be oil in lots of places that are hard to clean. OTOH, if it's in the rear, you can just spray with brake cleaner and get rid of the mess.
    Dave Weitzenhof

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 6

Default Oil Tank

The one in the picture is a Brabham BT29 tank, original equipment

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Yep. I have owned as well as crewed on two Lotus 61s, and the coolant tubes were the top chassis tubes. Summer time, the cockpit gets REAL hot.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 601

Default Oil Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    Also a quality oil tank (e.g. Peterson) far exceed the "original" upfront tanks in terms of dependable pickup, control of aeration issues, and ease of clean if need be.
    With all that return line, aeration is not an issue.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I have a spare front mounted tank, 5 similar to the one in the photo, but it's 5 sided. PM me and I can email you photos.

Regards,
    Dan
    The MK 15 used a five sided tank like Dan is talking about with the front of it in a vee shape to direct the hot air our the sides of the back of the nose. Years ago when My brother and I mounted a MK 18 body on a MK 15 using the original 15 radiator, we moved the 5 sided tank to the left side of the car in front of the rear shock for clearance reasons and had to cut the blocking plate off the front top chassis tube to make the 18 body fit. Worked great and oil temp dropped a bit as well.

Ralph, a few years ago I looked your car over in the paddock in Indy. Nicely done! I cannot remember though if your coolant tubes were still the chassis tubes? Personally, if I were running one I would have both coolant and oil running outside the chassis, preferably attached to the outside of the lower body section. The idea of getting t-boned and having an old brittle frame tube carrying hot coolant or oil break is not terribly appealing. Not original, sure, but much safer.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 20

I have a counterpoint to offer re: front placement of oil tanks. I've raced two different Porsche GT cars for years that are rear engine and having front mounted oil tanks. Rear tanks are standard on Porsches as well. It's a common mod to help with weight distribution

I've had no issue with oil pressure. What about a front tank would cause that? Maybe a restriction, or insufficient "head" on the tank from being mounted too low?

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    The MK 15 used a five sided tank like Dan is talking about with the front of it in a vee shape to direct the hot air our the sides of the back of the nose. Years ago when My brother and I mounted a MK 18 body on a MK 15 using the original 15 radiator, we moved the 5 sided tank to the left side of the car in front of the rear shock for clearance reasons and had to cut the blocking plate off the front top chassis tube to make the 18 body fit. Worked great and oil temp dropped a bit as well.

Ralph, a few years ago I looked your car over in the paddock in Indy. Nicely done! I cannot remember though if your coolant tubes were still the chassis tubes? Personally, if I were running one I would have both coolant and oil running outside the chassis, preferably attached to the outside of the lower body section. The idea of getting t-boned and having an old brittle frame tube carrying hot coolant or oil break is not terribly appealing. Not original, sure, but much safer.
    My coolent tubes are the chassis tubes. This is not the original chassis. It is relatively new. So, it is in better condition than the original. But, your point is well taken.

Based on the advice of many on this thread, I'll be sticking with the rear mounted oil tank.
    Ralph Z

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
    I have a counterpoint to offer re: front placement of oil tanks. I've raced two different Porsche GT cars for years that are rear engine and having front mounted oil tanks. Rear tanks are standard on Porsches as well. It's a common mod to help with weight distribution

I've had no issue with oil pressure. What about a front tank would cause that? Maybe a restriction, or insufficient "head" on the tank from being mounted too low?
    It's about getting the oil pump to prime and pick up suction. Any high point in the suction line creates a bubble and the pressure pump won't get any oil.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    It's about getting the oil pump to prime and pick up suction. Any high point in the suction line creates a bubble and the pressure pump won't get any oil.
    If the feed line to the engine/pump snakes high in the chassis, then sure that could be a problem, over-working the oil pump. I'd still argue that with a properly sized (and placed) oil line, a front tank shouldn't be a problem. Or at least, I've been running them for years without oil pressure problems on startup.

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information