Liked: 0

Default Selling a vee into canada

I am a Canadian currently shopping for a FVee in the USA.
    Does anyone know if it can be exported from the USA to Canada?
    What is the process?
    Point me in any direction... (I drive like that anyway...lol)

UPDATE
    Formula Vee's do not have VIN's or any title and are off-road only.
    Last edited by WICKEDVW; 08.22.21 at 5:11 AM.

Liked: 138

Yes you can import it. I've imported a few cars. The biggest stickler is the ownership but you don't need it but the border agents are senseless sometimes.

First I suggest you use a broker as you will need a US ITN to export it. The broker can handle everything.

You need a bill of sale and proof it's a competition vehicle. US customs needs to stamp it then Canadian customs needs that paper and proof it will be used for competition here only.

I got a letter from CASC and a bill of sale and that was good enough.

I paid these guys $100 well worth it.

http://www.baybrokerageus.com/

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbe View Post
    yes you can import it. I've imported a few cars. The biggest stickler is the ownership but you don't need it but the border agents are senseless sometimes.

First i suggest you use a broker as you will need a us itn to export it. The broker can handle everything.

You need a bill of sale and proof it's a competition vehicle. Us customs needs to stamp it then canadian customs needs that paper and proof it will be used for competition here only.

I got a letter from casc and a bill of sale and that was good enough.

I paid these guys $100 well worth it.

http://www.baybrokerageus.com/

sent from my sm-g955w using tapatalk
    that helps... But... A formula vee is home built without a vin...no title...no serial number
    i will contact your broker to see what they say.
    Keeping my fingers crossed

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

What I have done in the past......

- drive straight through the US gate - do not stop to "export" it
    - Stop on the Cdn side, go in, pay your duty. Its not egregious

Have a bill of sale, contact info for the seller, etc.

cheers,
    BT

Liked: 138

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post

cheers,
    BT
    I did this before as well, but the process has changed now. Without the US stamp they could very well send you back.

The US side is the easy side, literally rubber stamped it. The Canadian side is where all the questions come.

It's RIV exempt and you do not need a vin. If the car was raced then it has a plate attached to it with a number from scca most likely. Use that as your VIN

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post

cheers,
    BT
    So... you brought in a rolling chassis (FVee?) and Canadian customs was smart enough to know there wasn't a VIN??

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    I did this before as well, but the process has changed now. Without the US stamp they could very well send you back.

The US side is the easy side, literally rubber stamped it. The Canadian side is where all the questions come.

It's RIV exempt and you do not need a vin. If the car was raced then it has a plate attached to it with a number from scca most likely. Use that as your VIN

Thanks for that... I know there is an SCCA log book with an ID Number on the front. We can look on the chassis for a plate. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDVW View Post
    Thanks for that... I know there is an SCCA log book with an ID Number on the front. We can look on the chassis for a plate. Sounds good.
    I did bring a car in a few years back without stopping on the US side and no problems. I have done it both ways so I get it.
    Thanks for the information. It is reassuring.

Liked: 26

If there is a number in the log book make sure there is the same number on the chassis somewhere easily seen. Make up a tag before you pick up the car and bring a drill and pop rivet gun with you. If you find the car already has the number just use that . If not attach the new tag, but don't leave any drilling swarf to give away the fact the tag was just put in place.
    Make sure all the t's are crossed and i's dotted before you arrive at U.S. customs. In my experience it's the U.S. side that can be a problem, the Canadian side is 95% about collecting the tax.
    Only 2 cars imported in the last 3 years , broker screwed up on paperwork first time. Had to store the car on the U.S. side over a weekend until the paperwork was corrected. Second one was a very smooth process.
    As others have stated, on a purpose built racing car you need a bill of sale, a letter from your local racing organisation that the car in question is for off road racing purposes only. A log book is a definite help but as far as I know not a 100 % requirement.
    Personally I would not attempt to skip getting export approval from U.S. Customs. If you get caught the U.S. regulations have real teeth built into them, and I am also sure anyone caught will also have a blazing red flag showing up any time in the future that you travel to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    If there is a number in the log book make sure there is the same number on the chassis somewhere easily seen. Make up a tag before you pick up the car and bring a drill and pop rivet gun with you. If you find the car already has the number just use that . If not attach the new tag, but don't leave any drilling swarf to give away the fact the tag was just put in place.
    Make sure all the t's are crossed and i's dotted before you arrive at U.S. customs. In my experience it's the U.S. side that can be a problem, the Canadian side is 95% about collecting the tax.
    Only 2 cars imported in the last 3 years , broker screwed up on paperwork first time. Had to store the car on the U.S. side over a weekend until the paperwork was corrected. Second one was a very smooth process.
    As others have stated, on a purpose built racing car you need a bill of sale, a letter from your local racing organisation that the car in question is for off road racing purposes only. A log book is a definite help but as far as I know not a 100 % requirement.
    Personally I would not attempt to skip getting export approval from U.S. Customs. If you get caught the U.S. regulations have real teeth built into them, and I am also sure anyone caught will also have a blazing red flag showing up any time in the future that you travel to the U.S.
    Yes, I have already landed on the “get a tag” idea and have a supplier lined up. Right now I’m waiting for the seller to check the chassis and the log book to confirm the number.
    Question.... what broker did you use the second time?

Liked: 26

I actually used the same broker , " Border Buddies " . They seem to handle a large percentage of the Vancouver B.C. area vehicle imports. The first time as I learned after the fact , the person who had a reasonable amount of experence with race car imports was on vacation. The person who handled my job had never done anything other than a regular road car importation before. The office was very apologetic when I told them about the situation. By noon Monday it was all cleared up. Luckily I only live about a half hour from the border crossing so apart from the $75.00 short term storage for the weekend there wasn't too much extra trouble. Just a few more gray hairs.
    The second time the much more experianced person did everything and it was completely smooth.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    I actually used the same broker , " Border Buddies " . They seem to handle a large percentage of the Vancouver B.C. area vehicle imports. The first time as I learned after the fact , the person who had a reasonable amount of experence with race car imports was on vacation. The person who handled my job had never done anything other than a regular road car importation before. The office was very apologetic when I told them about the situation. By noon Monday it was all cleared up. Luckily I only live about a half hour from the border crossing so apart from the $75.00 short term storage for the weekend there wasn't too much extra trouble. Just a few more gray hairs.
    The second time the much more experianced person did everything and it was completely smooth.

Greg
    Thanks Greg. I have used Border Buddy before for regular cars and sent them a note this morning. It’s good to know that they have done it before.

Thread Information