Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 295

Default Van Dieman 98 formerly known as Groot

At the last autocross I ran about three weeks ago my back gave out. In the past I have had back problems and they have always gone away after a couple weeks. Now it does not seem to be getting better.

I have enjoyed driving this car. When I got it from Phil it was a great car. I always like trying to make my cars faster or lighter but there was not much that was left undone on it. It has been street Honda like in its reliability. I cannot think of anything that has broken on the car. All I have done is change the oil and filter and work with the suspension Including gassing up the shocks. The Honda engine was new in 2014 and is lovely and powerful.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ead-on-Groot-2

Phil's thread when he was selling it:

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ighlight=groot

My favorite modification though is the safety orange strip I put on it. (not universally loved). I have done some things that have reduced the weight by about 50#. most of the weight was removed on rotating parts or at least unsprung weight. I am a little obsessive about weight and am always looking for something to make lighter. I have done the following:
    I replaced the 13# lawnmower battery with a lithium which barely moves the scale at 1.5#
    I replaced the calipers with aluminum. The fronts are 20s the rear are 19s. about 16# When we installed the new calipers we reinstalled the old pads and rotors. New ones would add some weight.
    I replaced the carrier in the diff with an aluminum one....about 8#.
    I replaced the half shafts with the gun drilled ones......about 5 or 6#
    I replaced the front rotors with scalloped and drilled from Primus. about 2#.

I believe the floor to be aluminum. It is not painted so not steel. Stainless seems unlikely
    . No tears noticed.

With all the light components it will really accelerate and decelerate quickly.

The car has a front track.....70" out to out on the hosier autocross tires.
    The rear is about 65" out to out. Narrower at the back...I like it that way.
    The rear rotors are scalloped and drilled.
    It also has the short wheelbase kit, and full ackerman pieces.

I have adjusted the toe on front and rear to my liking. The car is extremely catchable and you can go really far sideways and it will just scrabble back on line. The brakes are well bedded now and will really haul the little car down without locking up the tires too easily. I cannot remember ever locking a wheel with it.

I have limited spares and a huge tub of books on various aspects. The car has a lot of features that I really don't understand and have not made use of like the high tech digital instrument cluster. I use the temp part of it.

Asking price of $24,750 for just the car...
    About what I paid for it. The money invested in lightness should offset any wear and tear from the three seasons I have owned it.Rains on OZ aluminum wheels..$1,000, one event on them.

I will look over the spares and see if there is anything else to mention. Oh yes, a set of al oz wheels with barely used Hoosier rain tires is included. The slicks on it are about half worn.

The car finished on the podium at Nationals about 5 years ago with Lowside driving, and third this year with Reid driving.

. We did take it to nationals using two younger drivers. One finished on the podium the other was seventh.

Other things for sale:
    1. four tire jackets: $200
    2. Misc. items including alignment tools,
    3. $200
    4. 2 steel 19 caliper and two 20s.
    5. two sets of springs $200
    6. six pair s of road racing gears. $300
    7. road racing first gear and shafts for rear dif. $650
    8.iron carrier for diff. $250.
    9 three mc remote res. new in box $150
    Vand dieman books, Honda books and extensive receipts for all owners... also includes log book.

Also have a 20' x 8.5' enclosed trailer with lowish headroom for better fuel economy. $10,000 very good condition, tows like a ream just a few scuffs, plywood floor and walls.

All prices are negotiable, will not sell This car specifics without the car or until it sells.

Will help with delivery depending on deal.

Tom Walgamuth

Tom Walgamuth
    765 490 0275
    twalgamuth@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 10.09.22 at 3:52 PM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 235

I'm sorry you find yourself in a position of having to sell a car you love Tom. I wish you a speedy and successful sale. Will you be continuing to autocross in something else?
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Maybe a Miata or s2000

PIctures.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 09.22.22 at 11:33 AM.

Maybe a Miata or s2000.

I hate it as the FF is such a joy to drive!
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:03 PM.

Liked: 231

A great deal on a great car. Best of luck with your sale Tom.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Thanks Mark! Also thanks for your generous assistance in understanding the car!

Tom
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:07 PM.

Liked: 310

If I had the money, we'd be doing business, again, Tom. I'm sorry you have to sell the car.

thanks Lynn! Me too.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:09 PM.

Default Fitment

I am about 5'7, 199# nekkid, wideish ribcage, biggish and longish arms and smallish legs. A 16" wide kirkey fits snuggly (as an example.) I run a removable padded seating device. It is tight but really you want to not be sliding around.

Default 20' trailer also available. It is about three years old

I bought it from south Georgia. It is 8.5' outside, 20' to the base of the square front and there is a point on it. It is equipped with 2 x8 and 2 x 10 boards to allow driving the car onto it without dragging. It has plywood floor and plywood in the sides, The frame is all steel and the wood is screwed onto it. There is some insulation in the side and roof. The tires are very good. It has good brakes and is somewhat low profile. I believe it is about 5' 9 clear inside. I put about $7K

in it. Id like to get most of that back upon sale. It is ideal for an open wheel car.

I'll probably replace it with a car with a roof so an open trailer will be fine for me and I can tow it with my car if the trailer is light enough.

I might splurge and buy an all aluminum trailer.

I went to the spine doc today and had an MRI. It seems I just have a compressed disc which is pressing on my nerves. He is pretty optimistic about pushing back in the bulge and closing off the hole, and I am too. So it looks like I will set the FF aside until I heal up and will look at some seat fitment issues, possibly opening up the tubes running across the top of my shoulder bones. I believe the bars are pushing my torso down against the pedals thus compressing my spine.

So maybe I can coax a couple more years from my back...and the FF.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 09.01.21 at 9:12 AM.

13. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Speaking from (painful) experience of back issues for 40 years, I feel your pain and know exactly how bummed out one can get. Chronic pain is a nightmare, and believe it or not, despite the technology of today, the back is still a sort of mystery to the medical profession.

I was in so much pain last season I was thinking of giving it up (was 55 at the time) - it wasn't fun, I could only hobble around, etc. Was speaking to another racer about it (a FF guy, neurologist), and he was keen to have a look. Long story short, my herniated disc didn't respond to his barely invasive surgical procedure (its about 50/50). Went on to 2 surgical consults hoping for surgery, but my issue doesn't "fit the grid" requirements for disc surgery in Ontario.

By this point, I had been on oxy every day for over a year , just to get through the day. Not knowing what to do next, I visited a local clinic that specializes in athletes. We went whole hog. Each week I saw a physio, a chiro who did a lot of ART (they consulted and worked together on my treatment), an RMT, and had two acupuncture treatments. They developed a simple set of stretches for me to do, twice daily, takes maybe 20 minutes total. Fast forward 4 months later, and my pain is so light I don't even take Advil. No issues bending, even running is ok again. Quite amazing. I raced the 492 at Mosport for the VARAC event in June with no back issues at all.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you've got the time and dosh, some sort of "whole hog" approach might help you too. It certainly changed my life.

Good luck!

best
    bt

15. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    Speaking from (painful) experience of back issues for 40 years, I feel your pain and know exactly how bummed out one can get. Chronic pain is a nightmare, and believe it or not, despite the technology of today, the back is still a sort of mystery to the medical profession.

I was in so much pain last season I was thinking of giving it up (was 55 at the time) - it wasn't fun, I could only hobble around, etc. Was speaking to another racer about it (a FF guy, neurologist), and he was keen to have a look. Long story short, my herniated disc didn't respond to his barely invasive surgical procedure (its about 50/50). Went on to 2 surgical consults hoping for surgery, but my issue doesn't "fit the grid" requirements for disc surgery in Ontario.

By this point, I had been on oxy every day for over a year , just to get through the day. Not knowing what to do next, I visited a local clinic that specializes in athletes. We went whole hog. Each week I saw a physio, a chiro who did a lot of ART (they consulted and worked together on my treatment), an RMT, and had two acupuncture treatments. They developed a simple set of stretches for me to do, twice daily, takes maybe 20 minutes total. Fast forward 4 months later, and my pain is so light I don't even take Advil. No issues bending, even running is ok again. Quite amazing. I raced the 492 at Mosport for the VARAC event in June with no back issues at all.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you've got the time and dosh, some sort of "whole hog" approach might help you too. It certainly changed my life.

Good luck!

best
    bt

Bill,
    Great to hear. hope to see you and all of the VARAC FF people next year "if/when" the bridge opens!
    Robby

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post

Good luck!

best
    bt
    Thanks for your comments! Glad they are working for you. ]

I have had the extruded part removed and the area repaired. I am in no pain at all if I keep still. It seems to be pretty good now.

I am trying to get completely away from the Oxy. Today is the fourth after the surgery. I am told it should improve from here.

The doc says I can drive after two weeks. I smile and say my race car right? He does not laugh/ The Mrs. does not either.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Default Foam seat

If you don't already have one, you should consider pouring a foam seat. You will have better fitment with no pressure points, better held in place and most importantly a little cushioning.

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    If you don't already have one, you should consider pouring a foam seat. You will have better fitment with no pressure points, better held in place and most importantly a little cushioning.
    I have been thinking of that. Last time I looked at it it seemed too expensive for me. Best suggestion for a source?

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Absolutely nothing against buying the seat from Pegasus but...

I just did a seat a week ago, I bought it from Bald Spot Sports, Travis is extremely helpful AND he lent me the vacuum pump and hot knife to do the seat and finish it. He shipped it with the seat kit and I shipped it back when I was done.
    FWIW, I did buy the nomex cover material from Pegasus and the seat turned out OK, may a 7 out of 10. Next time it'll be better.

Steve

25. The following members LIKED this post:

I knew Bald Spot was an option, but I just couldn't remember the name. Blind Spot is what popped into my mind. And I guess not remembering correctly was a blind spot.

Thanks guys! I will give it a good ponder.

Liked: 285

Hey, an orthopedic seat should be a deductable medical expense, especially if you get a prescription from your doctor
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

29. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Thanks guys! I will give it a good ponder.
    I tried to build a seat for my RF98, bead seat is next. you really need a proper seat in these cars. I was having difficulties getting a full breath when the belts were tightened because basically, the seat was collapsing under the stress

Liked: 10

Speedseat, sponsor link at the top of the page, Jody and Gayle are the best. The seats are a game changer. Pretty sure they will be at the runoffs, they will make shop arrangements.

Mark D
    Last edited by tiga57; 09.22.21 at 3:47 PM.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Mark!

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by tiga57 View Post
    Speedseat, sponsor link at the top of the page, Jody and Gail are the best. The seats are a game changer. Pretty sure they will be at the runoffs, they will make shop arrangements.

Mark D
    +1

Jody came out to our shop and was great. Well worth the investment for the level of comfort in the car
    Chris Horan

Liked: 0

Default Is this car still available?

I was wondering if the car was still for sale?

Thanks for asking me!

My current thought is to go to Columbus In later this month and run. If all seems well I will continue to run until it is no fun any more.

Glad to hear you are going to give it a run! If you become interested, I have an SSC car that we could trade. A/C and comfy seats!! Values are probably pretty close.

If you know of other autocross prepped cars, send them my way.

Thanks,
    Brad

Thanks for asking me!

My current thought is to go to Columbus In later this month and run. If all seems well I will continue to run until it is no fun any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdracer71 View Post
    Glad to hear you are going to give it a run! If you become interested, I have an SSC car that we could trade. A/C and comfy seats!! Values are probably pretty close.

If you know of other autocross prepped cars, send them my way.

Thanks,
    Brad
    sorry, what is an ssc car please?

Liked: 231

sorry, what is an ssc car please?
    Spec Solo Coupe... an FR-S with a specific set of class mods for autocross.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Thanks Mark!

My wife would like that.

Thank you Mark. Great car, ultra competitive class! This was at Spring Nats last year.

Thanks Mark!

My wife would like that.

Those are nice! Is the plane included?

Haha!! I wish - I even work for Boeing - no discount ????.

Those are nice! Is the plane included?

Default Sunday the 27th

The weather looks very good for sunday so I think I will go give it a try in Columbus In.

45. The following members LIKED this post:

Default For sale again.

I have been trompling around outside in the smokies the last week. My legs are just not up to snuff yet. I will sell the car now and will consider a trade. Car plus or minus cash. I'd like something with a Honda engine if possible, open wheels or cycle fenders in front and the engine behind the driver. Hopefully as fast or faster than a FF...and oh yes, two seats.

Ariel Atom. Base price $80,000

Definitely on the radar for a good used one.

If you want to consider a trade for the FRS, send me a PM. The cars are very close to equal value. SSC is a great class! If not, no big deal.
    Definitely on the radar for a good used one.

Thanks for the offer.

I am not leaning that direction at present....but who knows, in the future ..?

I change my mind fairly often.

I'd be interested in an s2000 as a trade.

Or a Miata that is well prepared or bone stock in one if the lightweight packages.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 10.02.22 at 10:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information