Liked: 4

Default PFM vs Formula lite

Anyone have an idea how the formula lite with the Honda K24 would stack up against a PFM in performance? Or any opinions at all on Formula lite?

Thanks

Liked: 14

I had to talk a friend out of buying one of those two FL15's for sale as there were only ever 6 made and that scares me away from any formula car. I have seen the blue/grey one in person several times and it sure is a work of art though.

I can't speak to it's performance as the owner only played track day with it and never pushed it even remotely hard.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 384

call
    1 818 720 7981
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 384

Mi Lola
    has all FL 15 hardware
    engine ,gearbox,ecu ,paddle shifter and wings.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 27

A few months ago I was shopping for a car. I was seriously looking at the red FL15. The blu/gray one is in Canada, so I scratched that off my list with all the COVID restrictions. After talking with numerous people, I decided on a PFM. What scared me about the FL15 was that if I tore a corner off it, or damaged one of the wings, good luck finding a replacement or having someone make a new one out of carbon fiber. For my PFM, I just call starracecars.com and I have the new part in a few days. Also, the FL15 was twice the cost of my PFM.

I have to be honest, I still druel over the FL15.

Liked: 138

Yup parts availability and price knocked it off my list too.

It's a beautiful car but unfortunately worth imo pennies on the dollar as it's too unique. The one in Canada has been for sale for 3 years

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 142

PFM is the best bang for the buck out there. Tons of performance for cheap and you can get parts.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 49

The Honda out of a turn will smoke the rotary, way more torque. Was already proven in p1, Jim downings 13b pport didn't have it to beat Jim davenport k20

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

All good points. I ended up buying one of these and here are my thoughts in comparing it to my PFM.

Pros

The paddle shift system is awesome simple and reliable it downshifts and rev matches perfectly no blipping and no lifting. If you make a mistake and try to downshift or upshift to early it simply rejects the shift.

Basically no start up procedure no jumper battery needed just turn it a little get some oil pressure and push the button. It starts reliably every time.

More torque coming out of the corners. Power curve seems to flatten out at higher RPM compared to the rotary which is less torque out of the corners but pulls a little better above 6000. For me I'm running pretty much the same times in either car but I've only been on a small track with the FL15. I think the PFM might be slightly faster on a bigger track. I'll know shortly.

Really nicely designed and built. Easy too work on and understand.

Runs on pump 93

K24 is as common as dirt so there should never be any issues with parts or support

K24 is a very easy engine to turbo and they'll hold up making 350HP

Conns

A lot more vibration than PFM they omitted the balance shaft on the engine build.

Parts and support really remains to be seen. Right now it's no problem and more cars were built after the series shut down and more are being built now. But it will probably never equal the numbers of PFM's built so who knows what the future holds.

More costly than a quality PFM.
    Last edited by Brian Degulis; 09.29.21 at 7:03 AM.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

Brian,
    If all you're doing is track days still, I'd just stick with the PFM you already own. You can setup a very inexpensive mechanical downshift-blip using some throttle cable, split collar and heim joint. PFM already has no-lift upshift. Here is my old car in action at the FIRM. I believe that was you in the Lotus Super Seven Brunton Stalker V8 (skip ahead to 2:30 to see me reel it in and pass).
    Fast Friends at the Firm - Pro Formula Mazda vs Lotus Super Seven Brunton Stalker - YouTube

For a description of the mechanical blipper, see post #2 here: Downshift blip cable (apexspeed.com)

Cheers,
    Mikey

I'm not selling the PFM It's been a very good car I'm keeping both.

Thread Information