Thread: Parts Costs

Liked: 1

After 4 years racing FM's in the Southeast, I am seriously considering the purchase of an FSCCA car prior to the upcoming price increase. I recently spent a test day in the car at VIR, and with the exception of the gearbox issues I felt that it was a very nice machine. Let me say upfront that I think this car and class have great potential, and I have no doubt that the program will be a success.

That said, today I obtained a parts price list from Enterprises, and I must say that I am absolutely shocked at some of the prices. SCCA and Van Diemen should be embarrased to ask some of these prices for an "entry level" spec car. And yes, I expected the prices to be somewhat higher than the FM, but not this high....

I would advise anyone who is considering the purchase of an FSCCA car to take a close look at the parts costs. For those that are new to open-wheel racing, it is not at all uncommon to damage the front wing and a front corner. All it takes is for someone to spin in front of you or blow an engine, or perhaps an "off" which puts you into a tire wall.

In my opinion, a typical front corner "event" with the FSCCA will cost approximately the following:

Light Impact:
    Front wing $661
    Front wing supports(2) $146
    Front wing endplates(2) $118
    Nose box $614
    Top front wishbone $286
    Bottom front wishbone $340
    ----------------------------
    Light Impact Total $2165

Heavy Impact:
    Light Impact Total $2168
    Front wing flaps(2) $274
    Front flap support brackets(2) $34
    Upright $531
    Front wheel $326
    Front floor extension $78
    Front splitter $151
    Front pushrod $91
    Steering arm $71
    ----------------------------
    Heavy Impact Total $3724

Also take a look at the sidepod and radiator costs. When someone tries his best Juan Pablo Montoya passing move on you and places his front tire deep in your sidepod, the repair bill will be steep indeed:

Top sidepod $462
    Bottom sidepod $413
    Radiator $602 (yes, that's right, $602....)
    Total Sidepod $1477

These are just general estimates of course, and the specific costs of a crash can vary widely, especially when labor costs are factored in. My point is just that those buying this car need to understand that it will not be inexpensive to repair. Of course of your other car is a Swift 014, then these prices probably seem like a bargain. I suppose it's all relative......

I am considering sending an e-mail to Enterprises and the SCCA Board regarding this issue. It probably won't make a difference, but if enough people speak up perhaps some of these prices will come down. In the meantime I will make my purchase decision assuming that a significant portion of my racing budget could end up being spent on parts costs. When it come to crashs I hope for the best, but assume the worst.....

Liked: 0

Hey Rick
    I have already made the switch from FM to FSCCA ( although I have yet to hear my car run). I am looking forward to working wih a higher tech car. I think that there is great potential for this class. Yes, the parts are expensive and it is going to cost us a lot more for repairs than it did in FM. (no more $125.00 VW radiatiors). However, Van Diemen parts are expensive, and Ent's prices seem to be in line with current FC and Ztech pricing. (I guess that you will just have to drive a little more conservatively and quit running into things [img]smile.gif[/img] LOL).
    If I see that my annual budget goes out of sight with this class, I will probably go back to FM. I still believe FM is the cheapest open wheel class to race in. As you and I know, you can get one heck of a deal on a used FM package.
    See you soon
    Keith Field

Hi Keith,
    I agree that there is great potential for the FSCCA class, and I fully expected the parts to cost more than the FM, but I wasn't expecting them to be 2 to 3 times more expensive!! I mean, $600 for the front wing!! I am sure that someone in England will be making a healthy profit off these parts. The first unlucky FSCCA driver who takes a side off his car on a wall somewhere will most likely be looking at a $5000+ parts bill. BTW, this would be easy to do at Daytona, Sebring, or Moroso....... LOL.

As you pointed out, the FSCCA parts costs are essentially identical to the parts costs of the Van Diemen Zetec car. One of the problems they have had with the F2000 Zetec pro series is high costs, of which replacement parts play a significant role. The 2003 Zetec nose is very similar to the FSCCA nose, and the Zetec teams this year have found that the front wing and nose box are very easily damaged. Hitting the bottom of a wing endplate on a curb is often enough to bend the entire front wing. At the Mid-Ohio pro race this was a common occurance, and some of the pro teams have requested that the F2000 series organizers modify the nose design to make it more damage tolerant.

I agree with you that FM will remain the most cost effective "fast" open wheel class. My only concern about FM is that there is absolutely no compliance inspections or rules enforcement at the SCCA club level, and you can never be sure what a competitor might have done to his shocks, carb, gearbox, etc. The FSCCA class has the potential to be a true level playing field, but it remains to be seen at what cost. At this point it appears that the price will be high.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

a former FM driver comes to the revelation that a FSCCA/FC/FZETEC is a bit less durable and a whole lot more expensive to repair than a FTANK, excuse me FM!!!!!!!! fancy that!!

mark d

Mark,

I think I'll stay out of that tired old FM vs. FC argument, thank you. Anyway, like I said, I fully expected the FSCCA parts to cost more than an FM, but I did NOT expect them to be equal to the Zetec car prices. (BTW, in addition to my super-cool FM, I used to own an RF02 Zetec car, so I'm unfortunately quite familiar with Van Diemen prices.)

When SCCA and Van Diemen introduced the FSCCA car, it was marketed as an "entry-level" open-wheel class to bridge the gap between karts and the 2 liter Van Diemens. Many of us assumed that the goal was a car with both a lower purchase price AND lower operating costs than the Zetec powered cars. Now it looks as though the parts, tires, and engine costs for the two classes will be very similar. And after the FSCCA price increase in October, the purchase price will be getting closer to the Zetec also.

Regardless, if the FSCCA owners are comfortable with the current parts prices, then fine. I would not expect the prices to change unless a lot of the owners/teams start to make some noise. Those of us that are considering the purchase of an FSCCA will just have to plan on operating costs which are similar to the Zetec cars.

Thread Information