Thread: AvGas needed

Liked: 113

Default AvGas needed

Hi All,

We are running the Thompson race this weekend and I need to get some AvGas. I am in Hebron, CT and hoping that someone know of a local Airport that is "friendly" to our cause. So anything in northeast/southeast CT would be best.

Thanks,
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 9

I think the closest airport would be Meridian

AirNav: KMMK - Meriden Markham Municipal Airport

If you scroll down to the bottom you will see a phone number

Hope this helps

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 238

Please let us know how it goes. I live near Albany NY and have tried to purchase AvGas from small airports for 30 years with no success.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 182

Suggest you do not tell them it’s going in a car.
    perhaps your ultralight or experimental aircraft. You may need to sign a declaration of such.
    No problem here in small town AZ .

interesting Oregon politics, I could not fuel my truck but I could fuel my own airplane
    Last edited by jrh3; 08.17.21 at 9:03 AM.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1115

Tail number NCC-1701 (Starship Enterprise).
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

8. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 113

I've been buying AvGas for years, but not in CT. Usually just give them a tail number/tell them is an experimental aircraft. I was hoping Windham Airport, Chester Airport, Danielson, etc... would sell it.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Suggest you do not tell them it’s going in a car.
    perhaps your ultralight or experimental aircraft. You may need to sign a declaration of such.
    No problem here in small town AZ .
    That simply doesn't work at the airports I've tried. They will pump only into an airplane or if I have some written documentation.
    Jim

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    That simply doesn't work at the airports I've tried. They will pump only into an airplane or if I have some written documentation.
    Find an uncontrolled airport with a self-service fuel station.
    I believe the truck operators do not want to fill cans or non airplanes. Maybe a liability issue?

I called the FBO at one and he told me exactly how to obtain fuel. He did say I had to use the self service - not the truck.
    They WANT to sell fuel.

In 5 years I never received one question.

Meriden referenced above appears to be uncontrolled and self service fuel.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I know of more than one Kent owner that has re-jetted the motor to use pump 93. Cheaper and way easier to find.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

I self serve Avgas at my local municipal airport outside Houston TX. I first called asking permission and the airport manager replied "no problem" and that it didn't matter by law whether it was going into a race car not used on the street or airplane. He knew of no restriction to him selling to individuals filling gas cans for ultimate use in off-road vehicles. His greater concern was the quantity that I needed so as not to diminish the supply available for local planes. When I apprised him it was about 20gal/visit. He dismissed it as no problem.

I make this point because the reason a manager may be pushing back is that they think you are coming by to fill drums which may leave his storage tank dry for his regular clients and visiting aircraft between his tanker visits.

Liked: 58

In Connecticut I go to the Robertson airport in Plainville. Meridan-Markham no longer allows container fills.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    I know of more than one Kent owner that has re-jetted the motor to use pump 93. Cheaper and way easier to find.
    A new fuel cell is probably in his future, if he didn't get one specifically to do this. Also, if you live anywhere where there's a smog issue the fuel composition changes throughout the year. In California, there's a different fuel for every air quality management district that changes at least twice a year, so his jetting would probably need to change to compensate.

At any uncontrolled airport (where the FBO and ops are gone after 5pm) find the personnel gate nearest the transient ramp. Bring a selfie stick or an inspection mirror. The gate will have a 5-pin cypher lock. On the back side is a label with a code. Take a picture of that and save it. The code is there so that people that fly in can get back to their aircraft.

The vast majority of the time there will be automated pumps. It will ask you if you grounded your aircraft <yes> and ask for a tail number <ncc-1701> There's usually a large lever on the nozzle holder to turn the pump on.

Google earth is your friend. look at the airport and look for the fuel bowsers - they are almost always above ground. The fuel/oil stains on the tarmac will point you to where the pump is.

There have been times where I've been unable to get it locally. I've used Fox field out by Willow Springs, the Monterey airport (tougher because it has regular passenger service), and the Hendricks County airport west of Indy.

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Chester Airport

I use Chester Airport. It is owned by Whelen Engineering which is next door.
    It has a self serve pump and as stated earlier NCC 1701 is my tail number.
    I bring a photo of my Vee to show it is not going in a street car. In CT it's about
    the road use tax that AV gas doesn't have.
    Last edited by tgaluardi; 08.18.21 at 7:53 AM.

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    We're fortunate here in BC, because Chevron still carries 94 octane. So there's been an informal agreement among the FF group that we'll all run that.

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Jim,
    You can buy avgas at the Saratoga County airport. It's self service. I get it there all the time for my sons vee. I usually go after 6pm and have actually opened the gate to get in. I don't know when you need some but I'll be going over sometime between now and the next 10 days so if you want to meet there I'll show you the layout. You'll need a credit card.
    Dave Reynolds

That's really nice of you Dave. However I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish my car. And I already have a couple of unopened cans of race fuel. But maybe when I finally get things rolling I'll get in touch with you. Thanks again!
    Jim

Thread Information