Liked: 97

Default Best in car camara, now required for runoffs

Hello Everyone, As long as the runoffs are requiring cameras Is there any consensus as to what is the best
    in car camera for a formula car.
    The car has an Aim MXL data system if that makes any difference. It would be nice to have something
    that would sync with the data but we are not electrical wizards around here so it needs to be relatively simple
    to use and install.
    All ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks very much,
    Skip Weld

Liked: 279

Hard to beat the quality (camera & video feed) of the AIM Smartycam.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 285

The SmartyCAM GP HD will be plug and play with your MXL. A little software setup and you'll have overlaid data on your video. Automatically turns on with the dash, and can start recording when the logging starts (or you can set it up so start recording only when moving...) If your MXL is using GPS, then you can get a track map on your video with a moving dot representing your position on track.

SmartyCAM stock is pretty tight so if someone has one, buy it.
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 08.13.21 at 11:28 PM.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Integration with existing data systems is always a challenge - and I'll offer no advice here. But for a low cost option one might check out the GoPro/Race-Technology video only data capture.

http://www.race-technology.com/gb/ra...deo_gopro-only

Ok, no shock data, no wheel speed, no throttle, brake pressure, etc. - but solid, basic, DAQ at a low entry fee (wow - under $50!) - and pretty quick and easy post session. {Standard Disclaimer here - Please Not affiliated - etc.}.

BUT - if you have all the data you need and just want cool video; check out this is from the GoPro Max - the 360 pan is done post. But it is not supported by Race Technology's GoPro analysis. But - oh it is so Hollywood!!! (even if it is Spec Wreck example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwhQW1FqgM

Those are the kind of clips I'd want to bring home (minus the carnage) from a Runoff!

Cheers - Jim

BTW -I don't own a GoPro, and my SmartyCam is the "old version - the torpedo" -- but I have been looking for upgrade options too!
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Liked: 28

Default Smarty CAM Is pretty Nice

I just posted a few laps from last weekend with the Smarty Cam on F500 Facebook page. If it can survive that and make a decent video then I have to say I am impressed. First weekend out so I still need to tweak some parameters but it looks pretty good.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Hello Everyone, As long as the runoffs are requiring cameras Is there any consensus as to what is the best
    in car camera for a formula car.
    The car has an Aim MXL data system if that makes any difference. It would be nice to have something
    that would sync with the data but we are not electrical wizards around here so it needs to be relatively simple
    to use and install.
    All ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks very much,
    Skip Weld
    Contact David and Ellen Ferguson, Veracity Racing Data. The best support around.
    https://veracitydata.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 110

Hi Team
    The Smartycam must have been around for about 12 years now. It is only 720p and has precious little image stabilization. Yet it seems bomb proof (vs GoPro that seem to be shaken to death in Formula cars).

Are there any rumours of an update from Aim? I am thinking of buying one but would hate to spend a pile of cash just to have it outdated a month later.

Thoughts?

Mark

Liked: 110

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Smarty

I tried GoPro but usually forgot to turn it on. Smarty is a log of money but works like a charm. I agree that Veracity is the best way to buy.
    Hybels

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Default Kenwood Camera STZ-RF200WD

My son found this and we are thinking of trying it for next year.

Made for motorcycle so should be decent.

Front and rear included.

Has anyone tried this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8_QlAbrmc

ChrisZ

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by mark elder View Post
    Hi Team
    The Smartycam must have been around for about 12 years now. It is only 720p and has precious little image stabilization. Yet it seems bomb proof (vs GoPro that seem to be shaken to death in Formula cars).

Are there any rumours of an update from Aim? I am thinking of buying one but would hate to spend a pile of cash just to have it outdated a month later.

Thoughts?

Mark
    Hello Mark,

Apologies for not seeing your post earlier. Yes, the old Smartycam was 720P and are now pretty obsolete. I have an MXL Pista dash and a SmartycamGP 2.1. It. works. every. time. It overlays the pista data on to the video from the moment I start up the dash on grid. They are now on SmartycamGP 2.2 and it's the camera rig now used for Indycar.

David and Ellen at Veracity are the best. They are even nice to Hybels.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 231

They announced a number of new 1080P Smartycams at PRI from AIM - but might be quite awhile until they are available.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Hello Mark,

Apologies for not seeing your post earlier. Yes, the old Smartycam was 720P and are now pretty obsolete. I have an MXL Pista dash and a SmartycamGP 2.1. It. works. every. time. It overlays the pista data on to the video from the moment I start up the dash on grid. They are now on SmartycamGP 2.2 and it's the camera rig now used for Indycar.

David and Ellen at Veracity are the best. They are even nice to Hybels.

Regards,
    Dan
    The 2.2 has an ECU bridge included and a different cable for the bullet camera cable. The cable and recorder module are the same in both and they produce the same quality video, though the 2.2 is less prone to interference.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    They announced a number of new 1080P Smartycams at PRI from AIM - but might be quite awhile until they are available.

-Mark
    The SmartyCam 3 is supposed to be out in February and the Dual in the summer, but with semiconductor ship shortages, everything is in flux right now.

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    My son found this and we are thinking of trying it for next year.

Made for motorcycle so should be decent.

Front and rear included.

Has anyone tried this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8_QlAbrmc

ChrisZ
    I have that with the race car I just bought, and I hate it! The video image is fine, but acquiring your videos is a pain. Did Imsay it’s a pain? Maybe it can be made better but I’m. It a tech wizard and don’t want to be. I used a Garmin Catalyst with camera sold to me by Peter Krause and that worked pretty darn well. Wish I could use that in the formula car.

Thread Information