Liked: 62

Default In Search of 2nd Gen SRF or Other Sports Racer

Was very active on this site about 10 years ago when I had my 83/84 Reynard FF. That was sold, and I stepped out of track events for about a decade (multiple corporate relos). I came back with an E36 track rat that's been a lot of fun but not close to the FF. I'll do a re-introduction post in the Vintage Forum at some point soon.

I've recently sold the track rat, and need to fill that spot in the garage. I want to get back to wheel-to-wheel racing but run vintage events, likely VDCA since I'm in the southeast, and at this point not looking to make week trips like to the Glen (yet). It will also get some occasional use as an HPDE car with NASA, some friends run with them, and it makes for a fun guys weekend. I would not race with NASA, doesn't fit what I'm after. So vintage plus the occasional HPDE plus something that is close to the FF I had, seems like Sports Racer to me.

I'm exploring available options. I've been spending time reading old posts on specracer.com (I'm unable to join?) and there have a couple of 2nd Gen SRFs for what seems like really reasonable money, and a couple of older Renault based cars for even less, all have sold. C Sports / D Sports racers....still digging into those....there is a Lotus in Utah for sale for instance, lots of Radicals in the $20k range....

Anyone want to shed some input in on the above, or have any leads on cars currently for sale, preferably in the Southeast?

Thanks!

Glenn

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I've got a 2005 Merloy/Phoenix CSR that's going to be on the market very soon. It'll be in your price range.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 49

Check out San Francisco's SCCA region 'The Wheel' magazine. There are a few SFRs for sale last time I checked

https://www.sfrscca.org/wp-content/u...el-June-V5.pdf

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I've been reading both the classifieds, and reading through the old forum posts, but apparently, it must be a secret society as I don't seem capable of getting an account by which I can post :-)

On another note, the E36 Track car has now gone to a good home, which leaves a lonely looking empty spot in the garage........

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default At the risk of losing a potential sale...

Glenn -
    I'm guessing you have registered at the specracer forum? If not here is a link:
    http://specracer.com/forums/ucp.php?...56f815ac9acc3d

As I recall; register - login - you're in. I don't recall a waiting/posting period requirement so you should get in easily enough.
    Good hunting.

Cheers - JIm
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    Glenn -
    I'm guessing you have registered at the specracer forum? If not here is a link:
    http://specracer.com/forums/ucp.php?...56f815ac9acc3d

As I recall; register - login - you're in. I don't recall a waiting/posting period requirement so you should get in easily enough.
    Good hunting.

Cheers - JIm

When you register, it sends a typical activation email that you respond to. Unfortunately, it looks like the system isn't actually sending those emails, while I was scanning one of the similarly themed FB groups, I found a post where this is a known problem, and has something to do with their email server that generates the confirmation emails. I've emailed the support address, but haven't heard from them yet.

Liked: 121

I have a Royale Rp 42 sports 2000 available not too far from you. Please pm me if interested.
    Thanks.

Liked: 799

Contact Kevin at Comprent.net
    He's the SRF guru in the southeast.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 36

You could join the Sports 2000 Racing-USA and Canada group if you're on Facebook, it's fairly active and has occasional cars for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/79193391080
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

Thanks to those who have helped with lots of info, and info on cars you are selling. It was quite informative. After some more introspection, and discussions with other vintage racers, I'm pondering just buying a CFF. It meets all the requirements other than the ability to run the occasional track day. And having owned / restored a 83 Reynard, I'm familiar with the group.

Options...Options....Options....

This is probably better suited for the vintage forum, I'll start a new thread up there.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 36

Some track day orgs will allow open wheel, I've talked with a few that run in the SouthEast:

Track Advantage - yes
    TGPR Open Lapping - yes
    BingeTokyo - yes
    CMP - yes
    Slowpokes - yes

Good luck on your search
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

Quote Originally Posted by BTennessen View Post
    Some track day orgs will allow open wheel, I've talked with a few that run in the SouthEast:

Track Advantage - yes
    TGPR Open Lapping - yes
    BingeTokyo - yes
    CMP - yes
    Slowpokes - yes

Good luck on your search
    Thanks, I had never heard of some of these groups. Running at VIR club member days is also an option, as I'm quite sure they have an open wheel group, you just got to be friends with a member who can sell you a one day guest pass.

Spare Body - for closed wheel days?
    Might be where I'd go if I were not on a different vector.
    Seen more than a few nice - very nice candidates here...
    Best of luck on the Hunt.

Cheers - Jim

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    Spare Body - for closed wheel days?
    Might be where I'd go if I were not on a different vector.
    Seen more than a few nice - very nice candidates here...
    Best of luck on the Hunt.

Cheers - Jim
    That would certainly be the best of both worlds, but after some Googling can't seem to find anyone who regularly does this. Race configured as a CFF, and then swaps on some type of Sports Racer body to run the occasional HPDE. Certainly, as I've been scanning cars (mostly sold) to start to understand the current market, I've not seen anything that has been used in that manner.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Just saw on Clist....

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/pts/...356015301.html

No connection, early/early car....haven't clue about condition/mods.....figured I'd just pass contact along...

Okie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/pts/...356015301.html

No connection, early/early car....haven't clue about condition/mods.....figured I'd just pass contact along...

Okie
    Thanks for the link, I've decided on getting a CFF, as it makes the most sense for me. Big fields in the SE, and no doubt I can find someone mid-pack to run with.

I've actually talked with Phantomjock about the car that is linked as it was original posted on an obscure NASA classifieds site that doesn't get hardly any use. It would be a ton of cheap fun for a track day. It's been heavily modified from it's original Spec Racer Renault format, so probably a very unlikely path to vintage. But probably about as much fun as could be had for $6k in a track day car.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Default The Cat's out of the bag!

Actually, I've just been busy... Trying to sell a boat!
    Will post later today in the SR: Classifieds: Cars For Sale
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/for...-Cars-For-Sale

It's Up!

Cheers - Jim
    Last edited by phantomjock; 08.03.21 at 1:32 PM.

Thread Information