Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Garage Porcelain Tiles

Gents;

Going in a new direction.

From my research, these tiles are extremely tough and durable. Applied with thin grout lines (as little as 0.0625”) so roller cabs can be moved about easily, easily cleaned, and an added value to the house….

Comments?
    V/r

Iverson

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I don't think my shop has ever looked that neat. If they hold up, I'd think it would add significant value when it's time to sell, and if you actually keep your shop that kind of neat [not me, unfortunately] it adds to that quite a bit. I find that when I am enjoying my shop, deep in a project, things are, shall we say, not so neat. I'm not sure they'd add much during those times. Just my thoughts. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to put them down though, because I would!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    I find that when I am enjoying my shop, deep in a project, things are, shall we say, not so neat.
    Jim;

Don’t we all, Man. Don’t we all.
    V/r

Iverson

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

That's Jack Olsen's garage. He's a Willow Springs rat

It's somewhere in north LA and was written up in Garage Journal.

There is a lift under the car.

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...-garage.55006/

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

From my research, these tiles are extremely tough and durable. Applied with thin grout lines (as little as 0.0625”) so roller cabs can be moved about easily, easily cleaned, and an added value to the house….

Comments?
    My first experience with the porcelain tiles was when we install them in our kitchen. Fridge (large) was moved out, tile laid down.

Next day the tiler came in to move the fridge back onto the tile and into it's space. I walk in and he's dragging it up onto the tile. The sound was awful. I stopped him fearing damage. He said "you can't hurt these things like this". He was right.
    Not a scratch. During that remodel we had hammers and pipe wrenches dropped without incident.

Porcelain is the same color through. Even if you can chip them you generally can't see it.

The problem with it is simple. Before you can see any signs of needing to replace it, someone (in this case my wife) will get bored with it. Yes, it is 20 years old. Heavy use (entry to kitchen). No damage.

My plan is to eventually tile the garage with the porcelain that looks like wood planks.

Liked: 530

Don’t get smooth tile unless you want to bust your derrière when it gets wet.

i have the wood plank style on my back porch and it looks ultra realistic.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Don’t get smooth tile unless you want to bust your derrière when it gets wet.

i have the wood plank style on my back porch and it looks ultra realistic.
    Deanie said EXACTLY the same thing. To sell this project to she, whom must be obeyed, it must be textured.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 3787

There are garages where folks show off their "collections", then there are shops where serious work gets done.

Back in the late 90's I did one of my garages in Armstrong VCT tile. A neat black/white checker board design. Tough as nails. Looked fantastic. But had to be waxed and buffed occasionaly, and was a slick as polished ice if wet. Won't do it again.

The black tiles proved to be a problem. Almost always if one dropped a very small piece, it would land on a black tile and be almost impossible to find under a car. Now all my shop floors are as close to white as I can afford.

I put a lot of porcelain tile floors down in my day job. A fantastic flooring product. Installed correctly the weight of cars etc. is not an issue. On the other hand, floor jacks with steel wheels dragging weight (like a gearbox) while rolling can damage it. Also, I weld in my shop. Those little red hot beads that sometimes roll on the floor will mar/pit the surface of porcelain. Just saying.

IMHO, use a very dark grout in your initial design, because no amount of grout sealer will prevent grout staining from some of the fluids we use. Some of the porcelain planks that look like wood I install with minimum grout lines. But, in my experience they are too dark for shop floors (eat up too much light).

YMMV

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information