Thread: Wheel Covers

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Wheel Covers

Gents;

After a long hiatus, I understand the FIA will allow 2022 F1 cars to be equipped with outboard wheel covers. And I seem to recall Dave Weitzenhoff had them at one time. Pros and cons?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 3279

Yeah, I vaguely remember running wheel covers for a while way back in the FF days ('80's, IIRC). I don't remember whether they were worth the effort and complication. Theoretically I think properly done they'd cut drag but maybe compromise brake cooling. If I did anything like that now, I'd want some actual data on what they would do on our cars.
    Dave Weitzenhof

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

Default Would really be cool:

Spinners.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Yeah, I vaguely remember running wheel covers for a while way back in the FF days ('80's, IIRC). I don't remember whether they were worth the effort and complication. Theoretically I think properly done they'd cut drag but maybe compromise brake cooling. If I did anything like that now, I'd want some actual data on what they would do on our cars.
    Dave,
    Didn't you have a set of modular wheels with aero outer elements for your FC about 10 years ago?

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

The only wheel covers I ever remember were on the Vestal FF, although I never saw them in person.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

I believe Derek Harling designed wheel covers (fenders) for his F3000 so he could run enduros in a prototype class. He monitors this site. Stand by.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    The only wheel covers I ever remember were on the Vestal FF, although I never saw them in person.

I was gridded next to a Vestal at (?) VIR once. Very distinctive wheels. No idea whether it improved the aerodynamics to any useful degree.

The valve stems were exposed to the air stream, and vulnerable to a slight side-to-side contact.

But doing that would be wrong, of course.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 1432

I think Louis Cooper III had them on his VD FF for a while too. Jongbloed made them. I think these were the same Bill Kephart ran and Dave had on his FC.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Dave,
    Didn't you have a set of modular wheels with aero outer elements for your FC about 10 years ago?

Regards,
    Dan
    Yes, I did. John LaRue had contacted me that Bill Jongbloed was going to make some, and convinced me to also buy some to reduce their unit cost. I thought they would possibly provide some advantage at Road America, etc.

They were somewhat heavier than my regular wheels and were a big PITA to mount tires on. I think they did provide some benefit once I reduced the inner vent hole size to reduce their centrifugal fan action that had increased their drag. The benefit was not worth the hassle with tire mounting, setting and checking pressures (recessed valve stems), etc., so I wound up almost giving them away.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

The problem in an open-wheel car is that about 70% of the total drag is those spinning tires themselves. That's why a comparable sports-racer will have much lower overall drag than a formula car in spite of the the greater total frontal area.

When I first started racing in the 1990's in Improved Touring some of those guys experimented with wheel covers at Road Atlanta. They stopped using them when they re-did Turn 10/11 because they'd fry their brakes halfway through a 20-lap race.

On any car, the brakes will have trouble keeping cool with wheel covers, so if you have a track that has a heavy braking zone you'll need to add ducting (and drag) or deal with diminished braking capability and a possible failure late-race. Either way you're adding a lot of complexity for marginal gains.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Either way you're adding a lot of complexity for marginal gains.
    Sam,
    When has that ever stopped us from spending money?

BB
    BB2

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    The problem in an open-wheel car is that about 70% of the total drag is those spinning tires themselves. That's why a comparable sports-racer will have much lower overall drag than a formula car in spite of the the greater total frontal area.

When I first started racing in the 1990's in Improved Touring some of those guys experimented with wheel covers at Road Atlanta. They stopped using them when they re-did Turn 10/11 because they'd fry their brakes halfway through a 20-lap race.

On any car, the brakes will have trouble keeping cool with wheel covers, so if you have a track that has a heavy braking zone you'll need to add ducting (and drag) or deal with diminished braking capability and a possible failure late-race. Either way you're adding a lot of complexity for marginal gains.
    OK, what about louvers?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    I believe Derek Harling designed wheel covers (fenders) for his F3000 so he could run enduros in a prototype class. He monitors this site. Stand by.
    he did. I own the car now but I wasn't interested in the "fenders" so I left them with Derek.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666849@N04/12571378844

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/ja...z/14449598525/

https://www.itracing.net/image/54947261354

https://www.motorsport.com/vintage/p...rek-4/1056646/

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Reynard made F3 'aero' wheels in 89/90 with a flat outer face and a ring of louvres for brake cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Reynard made F3 'aero' wheels in 89/90 with a flat outer face and a ring of louvres for brake cooling.
    That’s what I am talking about
    V/r

Iverson

V/r

Iverson

Thread Information