Liked: 482

Default Anyone ever cover fire nozzle with finger to redirect?

I feel funny asking this but my curiosity is winning out:

Background: my car died on the backside of MidOhio so I pulled off into the grass near a corner worker. As I sat there it somewhat became apparent something in the engine area was on fire. I briefly contemplated the many consequences of setting off the fire system. One consequence being a face full of foam even though I wasn’t on fire. So I then considered putting my gloved thumb over the cockpit nozzle in the dash and setting off the system hoping it would just do the engine. I was afraid my thumb would end up hurt and still get a face full of foam. So I didn’t do anything. Got out and corner workers put out the little fire that was there. Just an ignition wire and breather hoses. If I had successfully set off only the engine area, I think the mess would have been about the same. Dunno.

But I’m curious, anyone try to block off a nozzle and set off the system? Successfully?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Never thought of it. OTOH never had reason to set it off. I would not try it personally. Of course I have an "obsolete" Halon system so expense would have been high but mess would have been small

Liked: 9

Default You should not cover it with your hand

You should never try to stop any thing that is stored in compressed form. Reason, when the compressed things expand it tends to cools down really fast, could have given you the 2 degree burns if contacted directly to the skin.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wellington View Post
    You should never try to stop any thing that is stored in compressed form. Reason, when the compressed things expand it tends to cools down really fast, could have given you the 2 degree burns if contacted directly to the skin.
    ..and I wouldn't trust your glove to offer more than a few seconds of protection.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Growing up in Oklahoma in the 50's I remember a news story about a painter in Tulsa. He put a spray gun against his arm and pulled the trigger. Filled some of his arm with paint. Dead.

Made me respect pressure.

YMMV, Have fun today.

Jim

01 Van Diemen FF
    13 USF2000 MZR
    95 Stohr FIA F3 prototype
    17 MV Agusta track bike that I don't get to ride enough, Ha.

Liked: 1868

It can take something like only a bit over 35 PSI for compressed air to blow through your skin (it varies, of course) which is why the OSHA regs on air guns require those 2 big holes in the sides of the nozzle.

Liked: 20

When I got to my first boat (submarine), there was a story of a previous member of the aux mechanical division who thought it would be funny to make the "squealy" sound with compressed air through his finger tips using a 700psig reducer. He ended up doing making the squealy sound himself as it inflated his hand like a balloon. Between that and being on board for a 4500 psig manifold blowing off and dumping an air bank inboard, I have a great respect for compressed gasses.

Liked: 9

Default PSI or Punch Per Sq.Inch

Man these are quiet funny but sad at the same time. I don't know should I giggle or Should I take a 2 minute of silence for those people.

Liked: 597

Darwin Award nominees

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Default Well…

…I feel kinda stupid hearing these stories but I didn’t do it so I’m not that stupid I guess…

I do wish there was a ready way to extinguish an engine fire without also getting a face full.

Liked: 530

What about inserting a quarter turn in line ball valve so you can close the line off manually

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    …I feel kinda stupid hearing these stories but I didn’t do it so I’m not that stupid I guess…

I do wish there was a ready way to extinguish an engine fire without also getting a face full.
    Either way, it's no fun. I'd pull the handle as soon as I knew. Alternative: Get out, then pull the handle if you can. You're skin isn't worth your car.

Another alternative: Automatic activation. Great if you are unable to pull the cable if upside down or big shunt. They can build to your requirements and provide the sensors for the engine bay and drivers bay. Only the sensor that sees heat activates. These are used on aircraft too.

https://safecraft.com/motorsports/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I feel funny asking this but my curiosity is winning out:

Background: my car died on the backside of MidOhio so I pulled off into the grass near a corner worker. As I sat there it somewhat became apparent something in the engine area was on fire. I briefly contemplated the many consequences of setting off the fire system. One consequence being a face full of foam even though I wasn’t on fire. So I then considered putting my gloved thumb over the cockpit nozzle in the dash and setting off the system hoping it would just do the engine. I was afraid my thumb would end up hurt and still get a face full of foam. So I didn’t do anything. Got out and corner workers put out the little fire that was there. Just an ignition wire and breather hoses. If I had successfully set off only the engine area, I think the mess would have been about the same. Dunno.

But I’m curious, anyone try to block off a nozzle and set off the system? Successfully?
    Sounds like instant frostbite maybe.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    Sounds like instant frostbite maybe.
    Not instant as long as driver is wearing his protective gear which insulates heat or cold.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Not instant as long as driver is wearing his protective gear which insulates heat or cold.
    Blue jeans do not protect against frozen balls when you accidentally set off your Halon system at 2am while sitting on an alignment pad bored out of your mind.

I no longer point discharge nozzles directly at "the boys"
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

19. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Blue jeans do not protect against frozen balls when you accidentally set off your Halon system at 2am while sitting on an alignment pad bored out of your mind.
    So you’ve been told?

Asking for a friend, or maybe two...
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    So you’ve been told?

Asking for a friend, or maybe two...
    Personal experience.

1992 sitting in my Ralt 4 while my crew guy went back and forth by .001 increments of toe out at about 2am and I decided to see what the check button did on the electric halon system battery pack.
    Well, it shot the drivers compartment share of halon straight at my balls.

I walked like a cowboy for a few days after that one.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

23. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    A glove might give you 1-2 seconds. I work with compressed gas daily and freeze my fingers regularly doing it. That fire nozzle? I'm staying away from that if at all possible.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 23

I was told by a tech inspector to point the nozzle at the lower chest or latch/cam lock, rather than toward your neck and face.

I would assume the belt system would take the brunt of the pressure and diffuse the spray.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Good points, but we are making some assumptions - like what is the discharge pressure of these devices? Might not be the fill pressure due to an orifice, and of course the other nozzles. So it may be possible to hold a gloved finger over it. REmember, it's PSI, lots of P, not so much SI.

Second, the temperature at the nozzle will only drop if there is flow. If the driver is successful at keeping his finger over the nozzle (and it only has one exit) then there will be no cold.

Would make a great Mythbuster segment. Too bad these things are too damned expensive to experiment with.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Many years ago I installed a halon system in a sports racer. The instructions were clear to not point the cockpit nozzle at the driver, instead point it at a side panel or the floor and let it reflect back into the drivers area. Still get a full dose of halon around the driver with out danger of frostbite.

They also suggested mounting the nozzle far to the front near the drivers feet or knees. The halon will flow back and completely fill the cockpit. If you point it at the upper torso it will escape through the cockpit opening leaving little for the driver.

Never had to try it out to see if they were right.

30. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information