Liked: 89

Default Replacing CDS with AiM Evo5

Good morning, looking for help! The CDS system that came in the FC car I bought last year went dark the last time I raced the car. I bought an Evo5 system to replace it and I have a few hardware installation questions. I am very new to this kind of work and have a limited vocabulary, I don't know what the names of all the different plugs are, for starters.

I have two questions to start. The first is that my car is zetec powered with a Pectel T2 ECU. How do hook up theECU, there isn't a plug that matched the ECU plug that went into the CDS box. The Aim harness doesn't even have a plug marked ECU? Will I need to strip down that wire and install the correct plug? THe system came with one 32 pin plug, will I need to plug into the 22 pin plug?

The second question is where does the AiM GS dash plug in? Will I need an expansion box to do that?

Thank you for any help.
    Evo harness
    CDS ECU plug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 52

Step 1, reach out to David Ferguson, Veracity Racing Data.

[Edit - see below, I didn't realize it wasn't a CAN output] That said, there is a pair of CAN wires in the 37 pin connector. They may be loose, or in a group of 4 (CAN +, CAN -, Pwr, Gnd). I would expect them to be in a connector and marked CAN... but I don't have an AiM data system. The ECU connection won't need the power lines. You will probably need to get a mating connector and install pins to your two data lines.

I would also think the GS dash connects to an EXT connector, also in that harness.

There should be wiring diagrams in the user manual and/or online.

Finally, there's a FB group, AiM Sports Users Group. Some good resources there as well
    Last edited by LarryWinkelman; 07.03.21 at 6:04 PM.

Liked: 285

Your Pectel ECU is a serial ECU (not CAN -- the PE3 ECU is CAN), and will need to connect to the RS-232 interface found on the 22-pin connector for the EVO5. You can add the 22-pin auxiliary harness (which provides additional wheelspeed and analog channels along with the RS-232 and other signals). We could go ahead and terminate that harness to provide the mating ECU plug. Alternately, we could make a simplified harness with just the ECU connection and the 22-pin connector. That would have much lower cost now, but be more expensive to expand later.

We can also convert your CDS sensors to have Aim connectors, or add CDS connectors onto your AIM patch cables (while customizing them to the perfect length and adding a labels).

Best way to get started is to call or email Ellen in our office 805.238.1699, ellen@veracitydata.com
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

I have no idea if this is the right part or not but this is in the AiM Sports Used Date Equipment Buy/Sell Group on Facebook.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

I have the mating connector for the CDS system if you want to get that.

Liked: 83

Default Replacing CDS

Last year I replaced the CDS system in our P2 Sport Racer with an EVO4 and did all the wiring and lay out myself. Roger Caddell and Cameron Bennett from AiM, Matt Romanowski from TrailBrake.net, Peter Krause, and Ellen and David Ferguson from Veracity were all helpful and worked with me to get the system up and sunning well.
    I purchased the Binder Connectors from both Binder USA and Veracity and on many of the sensors used the male female from the CDS and added the Binder to the EVO4 end of the cable.
    I could not be more happy with this conversion, the AiM system out performs the CDS is so many ways, the suspension analysis works very well the channel reports work, graphical stuff is easy and there is abundant help with more Math channels that you can use.
    AiM has been running weekly LearnFast Webinars since the beginning of the pandemic and there are over 100 how to videos.
    Feel free to PM and I'll give you my contact info if you think I can help in some way.
    David

Liked: 89

Thank you all for the info!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default CDS on Clist in Co.

Saw this post...haven't a clue if same, of interest, too late, or a good deal? ...just passing it along.

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/ele/d/...338182640.html

Bob L.

Thread Information