Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default Costs of kinetics

Trying to attach pictures from phone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Default Try 2

Okay, I got over-brave and under-talented at VIR, and spun into a tire wall coming into the lower esses. I have had GMT working on the header, rocker and A-arm, and have paid a massive amount for an abysmal paint job on my spare tail, but I am wondering what else I should check. There is a small bend in the suspension pickup bar across the lower Hewland ears, the inner CV joint feels good [the outer CV was broken and I have bought a new one] and I see no visible cracks in the suspension pickup points or the wheel. As I fortunately don't have much experience in repairing crash damage, I am left with guess work as to how far to go. Someone in another thread had a much more significant crash, and was talking of an engine teardown to check the crank. Is that common / likely / usual?

As always, any advice will be appreciated
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 07.01.21 at 3:36 PM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

another view
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 702

I would replace the half-shafts if you haven't already. They may look fine but will likely break at some inopportune point in the near future.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

OUCH. Mike is right. Doug at Fast Forward IIRC makes them out of really good material at a good price. I owuld disassemble hte CV and make absolutely certain it is not damaged.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    another view
    Is that a rust spot between 10:00 & 11:00 position?

Dye pen the other side???

John Mihalich, Jr.

GMT sent back the pieces after they repaired the rocker, and it looks like there is a tiny bit of rust on the other [matching?] side, but it looks very superficial. I'll look closer when I get back to good light and magnification.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll talk to Doug Monday
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I would replace the half-shafts if you haven't already. They may look fine but will likely break at some inopportune point in the near future.
    Obviously, if you want to be absolutely safe, you should replace the half-shafts, but...
    I've been using the same half-shafts for many years, and they've been through several wrecks that damaged the CV's, etc. It's my opinion that if you very closely inspect the shafts for any deformation (bending) and cracks in the snap-ring groove areas (use dye crack check kit) and find no signs of damage you can safely re-use them. YMMV
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 268

Default crash damage

I would replace the other CV joint regardless if it looks good. The cage is made of really hard material and any major impact without any visible damage can crack it. From experience...... The guys at SwayAway mentioned to me they have seen CV joints break even dropping them on the concrete garage floor as they are hard and brittle. Axles are pretty tough and are designed to absorb shock.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    I would replace the other CV joint regardless if it looks good. The cage is made of really hard material and any major impact without any visible damage can crack it. From experience...... The guys at SwayAway mentioned to me they have seen CV joints break even dropping them on the concrete garage floor as they are hard and brittle. Axles are pretty tough and are designed to absorb shock.
    Yeah - I have had cages break, and most of them ARE brittle. Back when shops like Taylor Race Engineering were making high quality CV replacements, the cages were tough in add'n to being hard, and they would survive impacts. Most generic commercial versions of CV cages are of unknown toughness.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 76

These parts sound like perfect candidates for cryo treatment

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post
    These parts sound like perfect candidates for cryo treatment
    Yea baby !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 268

Default CV joints

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Yeah - I have had cages break, and most of them ARE brittle. Back when shops like Taylor Race Engineering were making high quality CV replacements, the cages were tough in add'n to being hard, and they would survive impacts. Most generic commercial versions of CV cages are of unknown toughness.
    I think SwayAway told me they actually re-heat treated the joint to soften it a bit to make it tougher and God knows the stuff they made was for off road racing and I can't imagine a worst case!

Fortunately, I bought 2 CV joints from Doug!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information