Liked: 47

Default worker needed near marblehead mass...

hi, in the first three weeks of august i am going to be rebuilding a lola sports 2000 in marblehead mass. i need a worker bee/grunt to do the light disassembly, cleaning, polishing light reassembly etc. no real experience nec. but there are some requirements... you must be bulletproof reliable.. you can't have an ipod or cell phone surgically attached to your head. you have to be able to take simple precise direction without discussion . you have to be able to do an hours worth of work in an hour.... there is some money in this for you but not a lot. its grunt work... pure and simple. i am on a very tight deadline and i need a second set of hands. can be man or woman because no heavy work required... what we used to describe as " raccoon work " ... sit there ... take a piece off, clean it , polish it, put it back on and move on. full time for three weeks minimum. no snowflakes. there is no romantic racing nonsense about this... this is grunt work.

email me directly stvsxm@gmail.com

Liked: 384

hmm.
    buddy you and every small business owner in US........
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Don't sugar coat it .
    cut them straight...lol
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

Liked: 120

Default Well said

Quote Originally Posted by stvsxm View Post
    hi, in the first three weeks of august i am going to be rebuilding a lola sports 2000 in marblehead mass. i need a worker bee/grunt to do the light disassembly, cleaning, polishing light reassembly etc. no real experience nec. but there are some requirements... you must be bulletproof reliable.. you can't have an ipod or cell phone surgically attached to your head. you have to be able to take simple precise direction without discussion . you have to be able to do an hours worth of work in an hour.... there is some money in this for you but not a lot. its grunt work... pure and simple. i am on a very tight deadline and i need a second set of hands. can be man or woman because no heavy work required... what we used to describe as " raccoon work " ... sit there ... take a piece off, clean it , polish it, put it back on and move on. full time for three weeks minimum. no snowflakes. there is no romantic racing nonsense about this... this is grunt work.

email me directly stvsxm@gmail.com
    You Sir, have no idea the impact your post will have. Reality check 101. Good luck and well done. Ken.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Polishing chrome and cleaning parts will be worth it for the education you may get from Mr Johnson…

i know its a long shot but thats how i started in 1967.... maybe there is another one out there...

i think that ship has sailed........
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    i think that ship has sailed........
    Yup

Any quality kid has a full schedule, and the rest have electronics attached to appendages. I have a kid I do some work with he is a physics major a wanted goaltender and taking French so he can intern in Switzerland.
    Been trying to turn kids on to motorsports for years, in the 70's and 80's I could pick between candidates, now it one every few years.

So I am going boating a variation of sailing.......

Happy 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Yup

Any quality kid has a full schedule, and the rest have electronics attached to appendages. I have a kid I do some work with he is a physics major a wanted goaltender and taking French so he can intern in Switzerland.
    Been trying to turn kids on to motorsports for years, in the 70's and 80's I could pick between candidates, now it one every few years.

So I am going boating a variation of sailing.......

Happy 4th
    probably... but somewhere out there is a 17 year old tomboy girl who can't understand yet why she isn't like all her friends that i can start onto a top flight career and a race engineer... all you have to do is give there direction and a mission and then show them whats its like to win things... then suddenly teenage boys just can't compete anymore.

10. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

If you talk nice to Kent I'm sure he will lend a hand .

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny T. View Post
    If you talk nice to Kent I'm sure he will lend a hand .
    kent has already put about 200 hours into this getting ready for this expedition... and i haven't even shown up yet... and kent has a REAL job... i need someone that can live on coffee and pizza for a couple weeks while putting in 12 hour days...

13. The following members LIKED this post:

kent has already put about 200 hours into this getting ready for this expedition... and i haven't even shown up yet... and kent has a REAL job... i need someone that can live on coffee and pizza for a couple weeks while putting in 12 hour days...
    Your post would scare any potential labor. I would hope to get 8 hours 12 is about 7 hours to long, I find they loose focus after 4.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Reality:

14 days x 12 hours/day = 168 hours

168 x $15/hr = $2,520

That's what my shop help would get for that assignment. Actually they would get more because I pay overtime past 40 hr./week.

Just saying.....

YMMV

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

Default Marblehead

Good luck with the search. Couldn't be a prettier place in the US to work.

Gew up (spent 6 plus years) on the Neck. Summer as a kid was idyllic. Folks opened th door at 8:00 am and said see you at dark 30. In the winter we played hockey on any number of ponds.

I miss that town.

Tim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Try putting up a posting at the local youth employment centre. Some kids' primary summer job fizzles out, doesn't work out, etc and they need that stop gap of a few weeks to a month near the end of summer to make some cash for school, etc. It happened to me, way back when, and I was lucky to find something that really worked out for the balance of the summer.

And when you do, maybe drop the "can be a man or woman as no heavy work required". Just leave it at "light work, no heavy lifting" and see who turns up. Its 2021 (says the dad of two teenage daughters, both of whom crew on my race cars). I am certain that you had good intentions in the original post and didn't mean anything negative by that turn of phrase, but folks are pretty sensitive these days....

Good luck with the search.

BT

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    ..... but folks are pretty sensitive these days....
    I don't think Steve wants anybody who is pretty sensitive.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

22. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

I questioned this part of the job description:

"you have to be able to take simple precise direction without discussion"

I probably took it wrong but wouldn't "discussion" be part of the learning process that the employee could actually learn something? "learning" would be part of the value of taking the assignment in my opinion. (my opinion doesn't matter)

Hurry! Sign up for two weeks of 18th Century indentured servitude.

It makes working for Rice Racing like a walk in the park.

24. The following 6 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I questioned this part of the job description:

I probably took it wrong but wouldn't "discussion" be part of the learning process that the employee could actually learn something? "learning" would be part of the value of taking the assignment in my opinion. (my opinion doesn't matter)

Hurry! Sign up for two weeks of 18th Century indentured servitude.

It makes working for Rice Racing like a walk in the park.

My first season in racing was under Bobby Brown and Mark Wehrmann indentured servitude would have been a step up....

I have a physics major that I use for garden labor @25 an hour. I give a rough description of what I want and the rest is up to him. I will point out easier ways of doing things like dump the wheel barrow closer to where you need the material. His phone stays in his pocket.
    He did say he had never done Extreme Gardening before, but he enjoys it. I have been lending him books currently he is reading Millian Vehicle Dynamics book.

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Maybe "debate" would be a better word than "discussion".

I've gone through a lot of interns and I always start with "my way is the best way because I've done it before".
    Next time I ask you to do the same thing, we can debate it. If your way is different we'll take a look...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Your post would scare any potential labor. I would hope to get 8 hours 12 is about 7 hours to long, I find they loose focus after 4.
    not if they are working for me...

28. The following members LIKED this post:

not if they are working for me...
    Good luck with that.

In the eighties had a intern the deal was you can go to beer party after the work is done.....
    After about ten minutes of loading out he was gone, loaded everything myself.
    Wandered to the beer party and there was my intern loaded....
    Since he had qualified as useless I left him there, never saw him again.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post

Maybe "debate" would be a better word than "discussion".

I've gone through a lot of interns and I always start with "my way is the best way because I've done it before".
    Next time I ask you to do the same thing, we can debate it. If your way is different we'll take a look...

Steve
    probably right but having said that you would have to have been exposed to the way i do things to understand what i meant by that. when i train people i don't just give them work. we start with the theory then we start with the methodology then we finish with technique. " put your hands here, like this rotate like this ? feel it resist ? thats ok. now push harder ... still won't move ? no prob... come and get me and we'll see whats wrong. " . you have to train their brains as well as their hands so they have a frame of reference. they have to understand why they are doing something in one particular way before they can understand how to do it that way and the final catch phrase is always the same... " do it my way the way i show you and its my fault if it fails... not yours. " the very best mechanics and race engineers that i trained were all women. they had nothing to prove. all they wanted was success and to learn how to be successful. they were a joy to work with. i used to run classes for my customers with their street cars on saturday mornings so they understood their cars better. saturdays would roll around and there would be 8 women... no men.

32. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

probably right but having said that you would have to have been exposed to the way i do things to understand what i meant by that. when i train people i don't just give them work. we start with the theory then we start with the methodology then we finish with technique. " put your hands here, like this rotate like this ? feel it resist ? thats ok. now push harder ... still won't move ? no prob... come and get me and we'll see whats wrong. " . you have to train their brains as well as their hands so they have a frame of reference. they have to understand why they are doing something in one particular way before they can understand how to do it that way and the final catch phrase is always the same... " do it my way the way i show you and its my fault if it fails... not yours. " the very best mechanics and race engineers that i trained were all women. they had nothing to prove. all they wanted was success and to learn how to be successful. they were a joy to work with. i used to run classes for my customers with their street cars on saturday mornings so they understood their cars better. saturdays would roll around and there would be 8 women... no men.
    So you're saying that if I send you my wife, you'll train her to do as I say and preform tasks the way I want her to do them in 168 hours?

I think you just found a helper !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    So you're saying that if I send you my wife, you'll train her to do as I say and preform tasks the way I want her to do them in 168 hours?

I think you just found a helper !
    yes...i know you are being facetious but, in fact i did that for any number of my clients whose wives and girlfriends were actually their crew as well. they aren't hard skills to learn. what is hard to learn is the mind numbing discipline to employ the pragmatic and uncompromising approach each and every time without distraction. the hardest thing to teach is whats important and what isn't.. when you are working on the car thats the most important thing there is to do. not answering the phone or talking to your friends. the first thing i taught each and every one was the phrase " please go away and don't talk to me while im working... i am busy." ... thats a hard lesson for people that are normally social...but then again... if they can't do that then you don't want them working on your car.

36. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information